June 2013 Weddings
Options

Photographers!! What questions should I ask?

For the people have booked their photographer or are looking to do so soon, what questions should I ask? FI and I are looking to set up meetings within the next month, so I need to start compiling my list now! Thanks Emmy for inspiring my question :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Photographers!! What questions should I ask?

• Options
    Haha, I'm working on this right now, too!  For some reason, I'm not as nervous about meeting photographers.

I felt like a lot of the lists online were so generic and assuming you were working with a big company rather than a small-business.  Also, mine are more specific because my photographer doesn't have a website.  A lot of these questions can sometimes be answered there, as I found with the more expensive ones..  These are the questions I have so far for my first meeting (tomorrow!)

1) Describe your photography style
    2) Do you offer printing rights for images and/or cd/dvd of high-res images?

3) How long will it take to get proofs?
    4) Do you work with an assistant?
    5) Do you have any references we can contact?
    6) Do you mind if on-lookers are taking photos also?
    7) What is your deposit fee and when is the final amount due?
    8) Can we get an engagement session with our wedding package?
    9) How much is your wedding package and what does it include?

The most important to me are the first two, because I'm totally into style and I really want rights to the images so we don't have to go through the photographer for prints and we can do more things with them too (like make a photobook or something).  Those are kind of the "deal breakers" for me.
    ~How long do you want to be loved? Is forever enough?~
    My Planning Bio (last updated 10/6/12)

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I'm so glad you posted this question! I'm meeting with a potential photog on Saturday and have NO CLUE what to ask!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Most photographers have Many options and can create a package for you. I didn't go in ith any questions other than to see previous weddings. I went in with a list of what I wanted and a budget. It's such a competitive field I didn't think I needed to budge on what I wanted. My photographer knew I had done my homework and came way down on the price! Also they gave us a deal because we were willing to give a bigger deposit (it's the slow season in the NE and they don't make as much) if you are able to offer a bigger deposit in exchange for a lower price. Just go in with exactly what you want and a budget you aren't willing to break :) I actually knew right away that it was the photographer I wanted. We clicked right away and it felt like old friends... Hopefully it will be as easy for you guys! Good luck
    June 2013 January Sig - Honeymoon Destination
    Negril, Jamaica!!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    @emmy - so thorough! we've met w/ one photographer and the only thing i have to add has to do w/ payment/$:

10) Do you offer a discount if we pay in cash or in full?

This is actually a good question to ask most vendors, the photogs we talked to actually said yes, if we paid in full at the time of sigining, or in cash, we'd get 3% off. Good luck on your first meeting!

ETA: 11) Do you have first right of refusal - ie after speaking today, but before making a deposit, if another couple comes to you w/ our date, will you contact us first so we have the opportunity to secure the date? Again, prob another good question to ask most vendors.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Be careful with paying in full this far in advance! Especially with the way this economy is. Even the most popula and reputible vendors could take a turn for the worst and end up out of business for financial reasons!!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    One of the questions I found was asking about a particular date like a Saturday last June.  If they were working that day, if you can see photos from that event and if you could contact the client for reviews.

Asking to see if they worked a high demand day is an indication of how valued they are.  Asking to see pictures from that event is a way to see photos that they didn't select for a sample book so you can see their true work.  And by contacting the couple you can see how clients view their work.

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Also, ask about any travel fees, for both the wedding and engagement session.  Additionally, ask to see entire weddings of photos rather than the hand-selected photos they have on their site.  You want to see an example of what you will receive not just the pictures that are likely the best they have for the day.

If you have a ceremony in a church, ask if you can see similar weddings because lighting in churches is very different and are often not allowed to use flash.  You want to see if they are capable of working with certain lighting circumstances.  For similar reasons, ask if they scope out the venue beforehand so they can prepare for the lighting situation.
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards