June 2013 Weddings
Options

Invitation/Guest List Question

Hi Friends!

I was wondering if anyone is going to be inviting just family to their ceremony and adding more people to the reception? I want the ceremony to be small and intimate, but don't want to offend anyone.  Is it alright to invite more people to the reception?

Re: Invitation/Guest List Question

• Options
    I thought about doing that but instead I'm going to just only in vite the fols I want there! Remember it's your wedding! You and your FI make all the decisions especially when it comes down to the guest list! If you want a small intimate ceremony then that's what you want! It's your decision! If you decide to have a large reception that's what you want! So just remember that it's your decision that matters. Not anyone else's opinion because it's not their day!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    There's a lot of etiquette around doing this correctly so as not to offend anyone. Yes, it's your wedding, but anyone else making any financial contributions has a say as well. If you want your ceremony to be truly "small and intimate" it needs to be immediate family only. Like no more than 15-20 people. Beyond that for the reception you could invite extended family and friends. I'd suggest you XP this to the etiquette board for a really solid answer on how to do this without offending your loved ones. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_invitationguest-list-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:d6a0e597-c693-46ba-851b-72c89aaa549ePost:6b7575bd-c35f-415e-bdba-29b73a48f197">Re: Invitation/Guest List Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]There's a lot of etiquette around doing this correctly so as not to offend anyone. Yes, it's your wedding, but anyone else making any financial contributions has a say as well. If you want your ceremony to be truly "small and intimate" it needs to be immediate family only. Like no more than 15-20 people. Beyond that for the reception you could invite extended family and friends. I'd suggest you XP this to the etiquette board for a really solid answer on how to do this without offending your loved ones. 
    Posted by cnf2013[/QUOTE]

Everything cnf said. Tread carefully when doing this, because this carries a huge potential for offending people.

Out of curiousity, what are your reasons for wanting a small ceremony?
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. 
    Emilyb213...I want a small ceremony because I recently lost my mom and my dad died when I was 17. (I'm 25 now).  Kevin (fiance) popped the question and it took me until this September to get excited about the wedding.  I know emotions will be running high on that day and I really just want my closet family there.  Friend wise, my BMs are the closest and they will be in the wedding.
  • Options
    Got it...that makes sense. I'm sorry about the loss of your parents, and I can understand why you'd want to keep it small.
  • Options
    I wouldn't recommend posting this question to the Etiquette boards unless you want to be viciously attacked. You can go to that board and search for "reception only" including the quotes to see how they've treated people in the past.

An example:

http://tinyurl.com/bc5j635

Cake! - June 2013
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards