Honeymoon Discussions

Costa Rica in October???

We have always wanted to go to Costa Rica and thought about heading there for our honeymoon.  I have read that this is their rainy season...being rainier is some areas more than others.  Does anyone know what the rainy season is like or has anyone been there this time of year?  I don't mind if it is the monsoon type of rain where it rains for a few hours and stops, but I don't want to miss out on the excursions and outdoor adventures!  Any feedback would be great! 

Re: Costa Rica in October???

• dh and i went for a week for my birthday at the end of july a few years ago. it was also rainy season there but it was only for a while in the afternoon. since there are so many different micro climates find out which are driest.  or just wait to go when it's not rainy season.

• I too have been wondering about CR in October. We are planning to HM Oct 7 - 14 and I've read that the Caribbean side is generally drier but I haven't found many recommendations of where to stay on that side. We'd like to do a duo of "in the rainforest relaxation and sightseeing" (Peace Lodge) and would like to do a nice beach stay as well. But I don't know where to start to get a nice beach locale on the Caribbean side so we have a better chance of less rain.

• When we visited the Pacific coast it was very very dry (Guanacaste province - tropical dry forest). It will rain in October, but not nearly as much as other areas. From my understanding, the Caribbean side is quite rustic and jungly, and a bit more difficult to get around.  I would love to see it some day, but it could be very rainy in October. I would want to go in May June during turtle nesting seaon. Not sure where you heard the Caribbean side is dry?  I'd double check before you book.

• edited June 2013

@callieotto - THE PEACE LODGE!! I IS AMAZING and worth every penny.

• Thanks for the tips @trinitygc !

http://costa-rica-guide.com/travel/index.php?...&id=497&Itemid=701

Here it shows that in the southern Caribbean side it is actually a drier month.

The Caribbean side of the country gets a reprieve in September and October as the Talamanca mountains force the moisture out of the westerly winds bringing clear weather especially in the southern Atlantic beach areas of Cahuita, Puerto Viejo and Manzanillo.

So I think we were going to plan a trip to the Puerto Viejo area as well as the Arenal volcano area. Stilling working on plans this week.

• Sounds like a great trip.We absolutely loved CR, and can't wait to go again.  Every part of the country is so different, and there are so many microclimates  I know you'll have an amazing time no matter where you go.    For getting around, you could look into Nature Air. They fly to most of the major tourist areas in CR, and it is a fun experience in itself! Pura Vida!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards