Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Honolulu beach activities/ food recommendations

Has anyone been to Honolulu and have good recommendations for beach activities?  We would like to go surfing/standup paddleboarding/ maybe on a boat tour, and any specific recommendations (companies you used, places you went) would be super helpful.  Also, any recommendations for local/low resurants that you went to and thought were amazing??  I have never been to hawaii, so am having some trouble knowing what to do!

Re: Honolulu beach activities/ food recommendations

• Options
    There are srufing and paddleboard companies all over the beaches at Waikiki, so you'll have no problem finding one. 

Our favorite restaurants in Waikiki were Cheesecake Factory - I had never heard of it before, but for a chain family dining, we were very impressed.  However, it's insane wait times, so either sit first come first serve in the lounge or get a reservation if possible.  Food was yummy. They're at one end of the Royal Hawaiian Shopping mall.

On the Beachwalk, The Yard House has good burgers and tons of beers on tap.  Also crazy busy at night.  And across the road is a sports pub/restaurant Giovanni Pastrami.  They have super good pizza there and tons of crazy sandwiches, all with deli sliced and smoked meats.  We did several lunches there.  

Finally, the drinks were amazing at the Shorebird restaurant in the Outrigger Reef.  I had a guava margarita that was to die for.  

• Options
    For a catamaran ride, we went with Na Hoku II, but there are numerous companies that just pull up right on Waikiki Beach. We took a sunset ride and it was gorgeous, but the sunset cruises fill up fast so reserve a day ahead of time.

We didn't take surfing or paddle boarding lessons but we saw a ton going on off the coast of Waikiki as well as up on the North Shore. If you have a rental car, I'd HIGHLY recommend getting out of Honolulu for a day or two and driving up the North Shore (about an hour's drive depending on traffic). There are so many cute, uncommercialized towns up there and beautiful beaches.

For food recommendations, one is up on the North Shore and that is to eat at a shrimp truck by the side of the road. We liked Fumi's. For in/near Waikiki, we liked Duke's in the Outrigger Waikiki Hotel (casual fare) and Sarentos at the top of the Ilikai Hotel for Italian food with a wonderful view.

The pool restaurant at our hotel-Sheraton Waikiki-also had great mahi mahi tacos and nachos. It was called the Edge and you sit oceanside as you eat.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    thanks!  We are also staying at the Sheraton Waikik :)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honolulu-beach-activities-food-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:5dd6bf5a-a43f-40ba-be7a-7b51018ce285Post:a1366ea2-939f-428e-a8b5-70470a30d4f8">Re: Honolulu beach activities/ food recommendations</a>:
    [QUOTE]thanks!  We are also staying at the  Sheraton Waikik :)
    Posted by dem068[/QUOTE]

Awesome! The infinity pool is AMAZING. It made my hotel stay. It is adults-only and they really strictly enforce that. My profile pic is a photo I took of Diamond Head as seen from the pool.

Float in a bean bag chair in the infinity pool with a lava flow in hand. You're welcome :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    If you want traditional Hawaiian fare that is awful for you, but delicious get a plate lunch. . . .. We went to the Rainbow Drive Inn.  It was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, and apparently is where POTUS goes whenever he is in the area.  It was delicious!
  • Options
    On Waikiki beach, go to Lulu's.  It's almost at the end of the 'strip' near to Diamondhead.  They have amazing fish, and great views (it's on the second floor).

Also, go to the International Marketplace foodcourt and get some Dole Whip, it's pineapple flavored soft serve.  It's awesome!

Definitely check out Duke's Canoe Club!!

As for activities, my favorite thing we did on Oahu was scuba diving.  We did a pseudo 'discovery dive' with Oahu Divers (we weren't certified, I hadn't even ever snorkeled at that point) and it was unbelievable!  My H and I got certified as soon as we got home and have dived on almost every vacation since, but that first dive was still one of the best.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards