Honeymoon Discussions

JAMAICA NOV 2013, HELP PLEASE :)

Hi Ladies!

I am getting married November 2, 2013 and I'm looking for advice on a Jamaican honeymoon! We are planning on leaving Nov 3 and possibly staying up to 7 nights. We will be flying out from either Huntsville, AL or Atlanta, GA. We are thinking an all inclusive hotel will be best, good food and endless drinks are a major plus! We are hoping to stay around $3000 if this is possible, but would understand if it had all the extras :)  I'm very interested in experiencing Dunn River Falls, dolphin excursion, and maybe even deep sea fishing? This will be the fiancés first time to travel so I want it to be one to remember! Please if anyone has an advice or recommendations on places to stay I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you!!!

Re: JAMAICA NOV 2013, HELP PLEASE :)

• krispi921krispi921 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2013
    I stayed at Couples Swept Away in Negril several years ago and loved it. I have yet to find a better beach. I found that as long as we were on the resort, we were fine. We felt safe and not haggled. Our one shopping trip into town was a little uncomfortable because the vendors are more pushy than they are here, but we enjoyed getting some local items from the area.

You may also want to look at Ocho Rios for closeness to the falls, but I don't have experience
    staying there.

ETA: I was in Jamaica for a day in November 2 years ago (it was a stop on a cruise) and it was still really hot outside. Be prepared for the heat and tropical sun - but take a dip in the ocean and have a tasty rum drink.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're going to Couple's Sans Souci in June for our honeymoon! And we're planning on going to the falls! I'll let you know when I get back how it was, if it's not too late for you! But it was a really great price, and we're hoping to avoid the "aggressively friendly" by staying at the resort except for the one falls trip!
    Good luck with your planning!
    Soon-to-be Mrs. Kent
  • We're going to Sandals Whitehouse in 1 week (eek!), and it's off the beaten path so you don't get the same sorts of things that PPs were talking about.  It's a 2 mile beach owned by the resort, there is almost nothing else there so you don't get beach vendors, people selilng you drugs, etc.  You can still take tours through the hotel, however.  Best of both worlds IMO.  It also gets the best reviews of the Sandals Jamaican hotels on TA (along with Sandals Royal Plantation in Ocho Rios).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sorry I forgot to add - Jamaica is also a very very poor country.  That's something to know going into it.  A lot of people hate Jamaica because they see the poverty and then they feel personally threatened.  I find that unreasonable - most of the dangerous areas of Jamaica are far outside the resort areas/hotel strip (Kingstown, etc).  You should always research this when going to another country, but Jamaica isn't one of the countries where this is a huge issue as long as you aren't dumb about your belongings, etc. But do realize that while you are living 5 stars for the week once you get to the resort, the drive to the resort might take you through some very impoverished areas.  If you would write off the entire country because everybody who lives there doesn't have the same standard of living as most Americans (and it's not their fault by the way - they would love to live like we do), then don't go.  It's like when people say they hate Paris because it's dirty and there are beggers - yeah, it's not disneyland, you know?  It's a ginormous city.  Or when people say they hate Spain or Italy because of the pickpockets - well yeah, there's a 25% unemployment rate over there (Spain).  Know these things going into it, and then you can prepare appropriately and enjoy your trip.  I think Americans as a whole are not great at adjusting their expectations for the places they visit when they are outside of the US.

I haven't been to Antigua, but if you think your FI needs something more Americanized going into it (for the entire experience), check out that island.  The resorts are very near the hotel, and I read that it's far more Americanized and wealthier than many other caribbean destinations.  But I'm personally excited about Jamaica.  I've been before and enjoyed it.  And compared to other islands, the people are open, friendly, and extremely social.  H and I are excied about it, but if that culture would bother you, pick another place.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards