Honeymoon Discussions

When did you take your honeymoon?

I'm planning an out-of-state wedding in June and my temporary contract with my employer ends 1 week after the wedding. Needless to say, I've got enough on my plate without planning a honeymoon and FI and I have decided to wait until after the wedding to start thinking about it (though we are brainstorming places to go). It will probably end up being in August, about 2 months after we get married. Our parents keep bugging us about this - as if we're NEVER going to take one just because we're not leaving the next morning! My dad's argument is that he's "known too many people who don't plan for a honeymoon immediately and then they never end up taking one." Frankly, they're sort of taking the fun out of it. Anyway, I was interested to see what your experiences are - how soon after the wedding did you go on a honeymoon? Or did you go on one at all?
Anniversary

Re: When did you take your honeymoon?

• My H and I went on our HM the Monday after our Saturday wedding.

But there have been many brides on here that do not take their HM for weeks, months or even a year after their weddings.  Time off work, money, etc all comes into play and you and your FI need to do what is best for the two of you and not for your parents.

Remember a HM is just a vacation.  If you can't take one now then wait until you can.

• we took ours about 3 weeks later due to work constraints.

really-you're getting married. you need to learn to tell your dad to shove it. as long as you're doing what's good for you then that's all that matters.

but i also give a bit of a side eye to your reasoning.  we all have busy lives and still manage to throw in vacation planning. just saying.

• We got to the hotel on our wedding night around 12:30am. We had to leave at 4:30am for our flight. We survived, but it wasn't ideal (we used his parents timeshare for our honeymoon, and the dates weren't flexible, so we wanted to miss as little of the week there as possible). I'd advise waiting at least a day for everyone, but one thing to consider is if you're going to have a gap in employment after this contract ends. If you arent' getting paid anyway, you might as well go on a vacation then, assuming you'll have to take unpaid time off at the next job if you go in August.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I know it can be annoying to have other people give their opinions when you didn't ask for them, but from what it seems like to me, your mom and dad just want to you be able to have this experience as part of your wedding and as most of us are aware, if you put things off, life has a way of throwing you a ton of curve balls and your good intentions of planning a trip may get pushed to the way side. I think they are aware of the many things that can and will come up and want to be certain you have this time with your new hubby. That being said, if it really annoys you, then just plan for what best fits your schedule and life situation. That may mean going 2 months later or not going at all. Just tell them that you and FI feel that this is best for you and what you are going through right now and that you're looking forward to being able to plan this once the wedding is over. I also have to say that I agree with Ali as well. A lot of girls on here are working full time, traveling for work, living apart from our FI/DH, planning a wedding, and possibly taking care of kids or medical concerns. Planning a trip can be done, and in fact, it can be done in a matter of hours if you are comfortable booking online. If there are money concerns, then yes, it's good to wait, but booking a trip can be very simple and a good way to relieve stress from other things because it puts your mind on something fun!

• My FI and I will be pressed for both time and money after our wedding.  Within 3-4 weeks after the wedding in July we will be moving across the country so I can start grad school.  We're going on a honeymoon the day after the wedding, but we'll only be gone for 3 nights camping.  It's super cheap and will be a lot of fun!  Our dream honeymoon is a trip to Alaska, which we are going to try and plan for our 5 year anniversary.   The point for us was just to get away for a few days by ourselves after the wedding.  What we're doing doesn't require much planning or money, which is great for us. 

Also, I've known other people who waited to take their honeymoon and are pefectly happy with that!  My cousin decided to wait to go where she and her husband wanted to because the prices were cheaper.  My advice is that if you're going to wait, start making plans now-at least a date and location, even if it's a ways away.  I hate to say it, I kind of agree with your dad (his line of thinking, not the way he's acting). Things happen, and if your honeymoon plans get shoved aside too much, then it won't happen.  Don't let him get to you though.  Take what he says in stride, and do what makes you and your FI happy!  :)
  • We got married at the end of March and took our HM for 3 weeks over July/Aug.  We actually hadn't planned on doing a HM until after we were married, cos we did a DW.  But with all the time spent with friends and family there, we decided it wasn't much of a HM, and since we could afford it, we went on one

• We are going 4 weeks after our wedding.  At first I was sort of bummed about it, but now I'm actually really glad we did it this way.  I'll have all our thank you notes done and mailed by the time we get on the plane (I have thank you note guilt and would have been thinking about them constantly if we had left the day after).  It also means that when the wedding is over in 9 days (eek!) we'll have something else weddging-related, but stress-free, to look forward to for a few weeks.  I sort of see it as letting the wedding high die down slowly instead of feeling like "well that's over."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_when-did-you-take-your-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:ac204385-c7d0-4d20-8844-935b94bb6dcdPost:258a6228-a9ff-4e6c-92d8-1f53ffa7875e">Re: When did you take your honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]we took ours about 3 weeks later due to work constraints. really-you're getting married. you need to learn to tell your dad to shove it. as long as you're doing what's good for you then that's all that matters. but i also give a bit of a side eye to your reasoning.  we all have busy lives and still manage to throw in vacation planning. just saying.
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right on both. And thanks everyone for the helpful and insightful responses. It's not that I can't tell Dad to shove it (when they do bring it up, I politely thank them for caring and that FI and I will handle it), it's just that it still bugs me and makes me feel pressured into a timeline for something that should be relaxing and enjoyable. But maybe I do need to grow up a bit and not let it bother me so much. Part of the issue may be that my parents are huge travel junkies! In any case, you're absolutely right to side-eye my reason. Maybe that's a bit of a cop-out and I think that was my way of saying that I get overwhelmed by things and I'm feeling that now. In any case, you guys have really made me rethink my thought process and I might try to invest some more time in honeymoon planning.
    Anniversary
  • We left the next day because it fit our schedule.

I will be honest. I know a ton of people who  decided to take delayed HM. Everyone who didn't have firm plans at the time of the weddding, never did go on one.  Life, kids, new house, etc got in the way.   Everyone who had firms plans by the wedding (even if those plans were a year out) got one.  

Of course, this is my own experience and not the rule.   But it was interesting how that worked out in my circle.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We are getting married this Saturday and taking our honeymoon six months later. We are going to Disney World for 2 weeks in October since there are less crowds and it is one of Disney's cheaper seasons. The key is we already started planning it and booked our hotel and flights, so even of life starts to get in the way, we already have the trip planned and paid for.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We left for our honeymoon on Monday after our Saturday wedding.  We wanted to go right away because it fit best with our work schedules.  It sounds like it would work best for you to wait, though, so do what works in your situation.
  • We're getting married on a Saturday and flying out early the following Tuesday. We played around with going any time between Sunday/Monday/Tuesday for a long time before deciding we wanted to buffer of a few days in there. 

And I agree with the other, you can take your honeymoon whenever, but I suggest you at least firm it up to some degree pre wedding. Our friends who got married a few years ago kept saying they were going to go and now four years later they have a house and a kid and never went. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We left late Monday night for an overnight flight to Europe after our Sunday wedding. 

I was so happy to be done with people & planning & everything.  I couldn't imagine coming back to reality on Monday morning after our wedding but people do it.

Politely tell dad that you love him for his concern but that you're handling it.  When do finally get to go, send your parents a cute post card:  Loving our belated HM but glad you're not here Wink
  • We didn't get ours :/ 
    We had planned for right after the wedding, but at the last minute H had to go away from a month (Navy). It's the way of the military.. So we have been married 1.5 years and will be taking a cruise to make up for it this fall. Super late, and we're not calling it our "honeymoon" since it's 2 years later.. but it should be a blast :) 
  • OP, maybe when you're a couple weeks out you and FI can pick a date, pick a resort, and then put in a deposit for a trip a couple months later.  That's really all you need to have firm plans.  The little details (if you go AI there are hardly any details) can be taken care of after the wedding.

I was a crazy person at 2 months out.  We are 1 week out, and I literally have nothing to do except stalk my registry.  

But I agree with PPs - commit to a date and location before the wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are leaving the next morning.  For us, there really isn't a downside to leaving right away...neither of us drink, so no hangover.  We are having a brunch reception after our 10:30 am ceremony, so we won't be exhausted.  Even if we are, our flight is short.
    I agree with others that if you can afford it, you should consider at least booking before you get married.  Life gets in the way, kwim?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We had a Friday night wedding and left for Italy on Saturday night.  Our cruise left on Sunday.  It was great to go right away, but honestly having a little gap in between gives you something else to look forward to.
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    We intended to leave one week after the wedding.  We rescheduled our wedding due to Hurricane Sandy so our honeymoon ended up being a month before the wedding.  :D
  • We are leaving for our HM 4 days after our wedding. I wouldn't have wanted to go straight after the wedding because it would be too stressful, and at one point we were even thinking of waiting a couple of months to go. Do whatever works best for you.
  • We did a local mini-moon for two nights after our wedding and then did the actual honeymoon two months afterwards.  Personally, I was relieved that I did not have to think about packing/leaving right away for a week-long honeymoon.  
    If you can, I'd take at least a day or two afterwards to spend together.  It will be good to just decompress/relax from everything. 
  • We took ours 3 weeks after our wedding.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We had a DW (not a beach one) and left on the day after the wedding.
  • SKPMSKPM member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    We got married on a Saturday evening, and left for the airport Sunday afternoon to take a red-eye flight Sunday night. It was perfect for us.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • So the FI and I are getting married on a Saturday night and we are leaving for a 3 night stay in South Padre Island, early the next morning.. (Yes it's only 8 1/2 hours away from where we live, so we may drive) but we couldn't do anything to big or fancy due to our work and kids. We both have never been to South Padre Island so to us it's a honeymoon! To some maybe not. But like most of the knotties are saying, do whatever works best for you two.
    Soon to be MR. & MRS. ANTHONY PRICE JR! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're going on our honeymoon four months after we get married. We both work jobs that get crazy from November to January (he's in retail IT support, I'm in a high acuity patient situation that leads to a lot of holiday deaths), so it doesn't make sense to leave town after our 10/19 wedding. We're hoping to go on our honeymoon in February 2014 after things have calmed down at work.

• We got married on a Saturday night and left the next afternoon which was perfect for us. We were able to sleep in and didn't have to rush off to the airport first thing in the morning. We had brunch with my parents and our maid of honor and best man and then went to the airport.

We loved that "whisked away" feeling, but I know that's not for everybody. Some people like to have a few days or a week or two inbetween to catch up on sleep and go through their gifts.

Friends of ours waited a week in between since they had another wedding to go to the following weekend that they didn't want to miss and they said it was the longest week of their life and they wish they had just gone after the wedding instead of returning to work the following Monday morning.

If you choose to postpone the HM to a time that makes more sense to you guys make sure you have it planned out and booked before the wedding. Like pp's mentioned above the people I've know who said they would take their HM at a later date never ended up going on one. Life gets in the way... buying a house, surprise pregnancies, etc... so don't just talk about it, do it! And enjoy :)
  • We're having a Friday evening wedding and leaving Saturday afternoon/evening - I'm coughing up the extra dough for a later flight so we can sleep in and then open gifts! It was really important to my FI to have a big wedding, and it's really important to me to leave for our HM right after our wedding, so it works out perfectly :)
  • We did not want to leave right after the wedding because we got married out of town and wanted to see guests that weekend. Also, the week after we were married I had a work trip to The Netherlands. DH went with me but spent his days with one of the wives of an officemate. We took a few extra days in Amsterdam but I really considered that a vacation trying to see all the sights. So we refer to that as our mini-moon.

To me a honeymoon is relaxing and tropical. We took our official HM 13 months after we were married. We did the HM package at one hotel (flowers in room and romantic dinner on the beach) and the other gave us a fruit bowl and nice congratulatory note. We delayed due to lack of time to plan (I had 6 months to plan a wedding and a 50th bday party the next month for DH), not knowing where we wanted to go, and lack of vacation time for DH since he started a new job.

You can take a HM whenever works best for you and still call it a HM.

• kap05kap05 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2013
    We haven't booked our honeymoon yet but we are planning on taking it 2 months after the wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards