Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Honeymoon Suggestions for Hiking

I'm just recently engaged and my fiance and I are adventurous people. We'd love to go hiking so we thought Yosemite or Yellowstone National Park since we are low on a budget. Have any good ideas for places to stay near there? Or maybe another place like that? Our budget is 1500-2000

Re: Honeymoon Suggestions for Hiking

• Options
    If you go to Yellowstone, staying in the park is the best plan.  Everything is so big and far away that staying outside the park takes up so much time driving.  You'll also find lodging IN the park to be more cheaper than lodging outside the park, especially in Jackson.  We spent two nights at Yellowstone Lake, 3 nights at Mammoth Hot Springs, 1 night at Old Faithful, and 1 night in Teton Village (between Grand Teton National Park and Jackson Hole).  We saw all the main sights in Yellowstone with that plan, and did a considerable amount of hiking.  I'd like to go back and spend more time in GTNP.  It has more of the true mountain hiking, and was phenomenally gorgeous, pristine, and peaceful.

For our HM, we started in Seattle, and drove down to San Francisco.  Along the way, we hiked at Olympic National Forest, Mt Rainier, Willamette National Forest, tried to hike at Crater Lake, but there was too much snow still, and hiked at Mt Tam/Muir Woods.  It was fantastic, and another great option if you like a good mix of hiking and city sightseeing.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    What about Banff, Alberta?  There are amazing hiking trails and turquoise lakes. its a beautiful little town in the Canadia Rockies, and it is only an hour's drive from the Calgary International Airport.
  • Options
    My boss just went to yosemite and said it was awesome. She highly recommended it. :)
  • Options
    Agree with PP.

Also, when you looking to honeymoon? Summer will be "peak" prices. Just a thought if you want to truly budget. But those all all amazing places.

We had our HM in Banff and Jasper National Parks in Alberta. For 8 nights in September we spent about $3000 (to give you a point of reference).

Enjoy wherever you decide!
  • Options
    Have you looked into Sedona AZ?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    All of those places are amazing and have great hiking. As for "romantic," I'd say the Sedona/Grand Canyon areas are best, but what's "romantic" is subjective. Really any of the national parks would be cost effective and great hiking trips!
    Vacation
  • Options
    I think both Mount Rainier National Park and Olympic National Park would be right up your alley and would work well weather-wise if your honeymoon occurred between the months of June-September. Olympic National Park is much larger than Mount Rainier so you'd have a lot more options for accommodations but both parks are absolutely beautiful and have amazing opportunities for hiking!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-suggestions-for-hiking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:bf506640-851d-4c63-bff7-6dc99a275953Post:87010c17-3956-4aa4-b073-457dfbf097aa">Re: Honeymoon Suggestions for Hiking</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think both Mount Rainier National Park and Olympic National Park would be right up your alley and would work well weather-wise if your honeymoon occurred between the months of June-September. Olympic National Park is much larger than Mount Rainier so you'd have a lot more options for accommodations but both parks are absolutely beautiful and have amazing opportunities for hiking!
    Posted by TravelingJen[/QUOTE]

Olympic National Park also butts up to Olympic National Forest.  We loved it.  We hiked through one of the temperate rain forest areas, and it was seriously fascinating.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I've never been to Yellowstone (it's on the list though!) but Yosemite is amazing. I've been there probably 10+ times, most recently in 2011 (FI proposed there).  You didn't mention when you were planning to go-Yosemite is CRAZY during the summer months, but you'd have the opportunity to meet campers/hikers from around the world, which is fun.  We went in September as it was JUST starting to get cold, stayed in Curry Village for two nights in the valley (really really fun, and you can buy beer/wine at the store in the village and drink it out on the patio area in the camp).  We then drove up and parked near Tuolumne Meadows, and backpacked into the Cathedral Lake area, pitching our tent at the lower lake.  We then spent days hiking the lakes, and hiked up to the High Sierra Camps (would love to stay at one someday, but they're like $200/night, meals, etc.)  If it's in your budget, I'd camp most nights and then spend 2 in one of the High Sierra camps because you'd have so much fun meeting people from all over (it's so expensive because they literally have to pack all food, supplies in via mule).

You have to secure a wilderness permit far in advance--like late winter/early spring (whenever the national park service opens up reservations), and you have to have an idea of where you want to go when you call the permitting office so they can permit you for the right area (they'll help you figure it out if you're not sure).  Loved Yosemite though, you'd have so much fun.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards