Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

cookie table help

Hi Ladies! I'm a Canadian marrying a Pittsburgher and it has come to my attention it's a Pittsburgh tradition to have a cookie table at your wedding. Has anyone else heard of this?
If you have, I have a couple questions for ya! Is it a big faux pas to just buy a ton of cookies from costco or do they have to be homemade??
And how many cookies should we have? There's 159 invited guests, we're expecting 130-140 guests to come.

ps. happy easter :)

Re: cookie table help

• Absolutley, a cookie table is a Pitttsburgh thing for Italians and some other nationalities.

Usually your relatives, or in this case your FI's relatives will make the cookies for your table.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I would try to make as many as you can rather than buying them, although I know Potomac Bakery has very good prices and we purcased really adorable sugar cookies and Georgia Peach cookies from Pastries A'la Carte since those were a little more complicated to make.

We assumed 5 cookies per guest but ended up with about 1600 for 150 guests since many of my family members made more in their batches of cookies. It was actually a good thing though because we only had 2 out of 29 trays left, and that was because we had a TON of pizzelles.  We put out 100 take home bags and only had about 8 leftover.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Love tha you are bringing this tradition to your wedding! After talking to MANY caterers, the avg that they recommend is 2 per person. They all say that they throw away a ton of cookies at the end of the evening if you make more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards