Texas-Houston

Still Looking for Venue - I think I have exhausted all options!

3 months and 150+ inquiries later, I still have not found "the one".  So...Knotties....my questions is two-fold:

1) I have found a couple places that "will do" but don't quite have everything I want.  When you found your venue did you get some happy rainbow glitter feeling that this was THE ONE?

2) Need some suggestions and this is the situation:  Need a venue within 10-15 miles (preferably more like 3-5 miles) to either Galleria, Downtown, CityCentre, etc., that can accommodate an outdoor ceremony and indoor reception for about 200 guests within the budget.  Budget is about $13,000 for venue rental, food and alcohol.  About half of the guests are out of towners and I want to be considerate of their transportation issues because not everyone will be renting cars, so nearby a NICE hotel that can provide complimentary shuttle service would be ideal.  So far, we have not been fond of hotels or banquet halls.   

Pretty much all venues I could find I have looked in to (at least 150+)....but haven't found a solution yet. 

Two venues are almost "it" but one doesn't have our date available so we would have to push out a couple months to hotter weather and the other doesn't have outdoor ceremony option but my fiance likes it better (I suppose we could find a nearby park....hopefully....)

Should I just get over it and pick one of the two?  This is making me just want to elope.  Is the whole planning process this agonizing? uuugh. 

Thanks ladies!

Re: Still Looking for Venue - I think I have exhausted all options!

• Have you looked into any parks around Houston? I'm thinking Discovery Green, maybe?
  • Thanks - ok so Discovery Green is not run by the City so they have a different permitting process...and it would be great to have the ceremony there, but not sure about where to do the reception that is affordable.  My understanding is tent rentals get extremely pricey. 

Plus, Discovery Green has a lot of restrictions if you rent by the hour (i.e., can't bring decorations and chairs or speakers/mic for ceremony), so you have to rent it for the whole day (which then goes from costing a few hundred for a couple hours, to thousands for what ends up being a 30-minute ceremony if you want guests to be able to sit and also hear you)....

Beautiful scenery, but logistics seem too challenging.

Other city parks are definitely an option for the ceremony, but still need to find reception venue....(taking travel logistics into consideration due to the high number of out of town guests).  We might have to rent a shuttle bus (I think this would run about $700; it's not out of the question, but hoping to not incur that expense)

• I know you've said you've exhausted many different options, but I'm going to name a couple more JUST IN CASE you didn't look into them:

The Houston Zoo (No idea what their prices are)
    The Rainbow Lodge  (From what I know, their prices are decent and they do outdoor ceremonies, but I think their indoor spouse might be cramped for you)

Unfortunately, I got nothing else.  I too researched a billion venues before coming up with ours (The grove... which is awesome but much too small for you).  The Grove felt "right" for fiance and I, even though it was at the top of our budget.  So we did kind of have a magical feeling when we toured it.

Was it our "dream" venue?  Probably not.  If I had an endless budget, I probably would have wanted to book the Crystal Ballroom.  But the Grove had our "essentials" and fit our personality.

I guess my advice would be to look at it that way.  You may have to compromise something... either the indoor reception, the outdoor ceremony, the location, the cost, or the size.  But figure out which of those are most important to you and go with that.  And something that feels like you and your FI's personality. 

Also, if you want to share, I'd be interested to know what your two venue choices are right now.  Maybe we could come up with an idea to make them more appealing to you. 

SaveSave
  • Oh, and one more:  The Houston Garden Center.  You could do the ceremony out in the Rose garden if it's big enough, or in hermann park across the street.  Then do the reception indoors.

SaveSave
  • I think that my venue may also be a great option for you. It's the Wortham Theater Center. It's downtown in the theater district within walking blocks of tons of hotels. There's a gazebo outside by a beautiful waterfall where you can do the ceremony, and the grand foyer (lobby area) can be for the reception. Or, you can have the ceremony inside of the theater, the green room, or this other large room (I can't remember the name right now). Since it's a city of houston building it is extremely budget friendly! Let me know if you need more details.
    Wedding Website: www.marcusandorjanel.com Save the Date Commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE0OOnirn14&noredirect=1 Wedding Date: August 24, 2013!!!
  • I think if we knew where you have looked but didn't like it would be more helpful.

Ideas that came to mind:
    The Gardens on Bammel Lane
    The Gallery

• Good morning Andrea.

Have you looked at the Bell Tower on 34th? It's in Garden Oaks and there is a Sheraton (I believe) just right up the street. The Bell Tower is gorgeous and has several different rooms with different styles that can accommodate large and small weddings. They also have an outdoor waterwall feature that is pretty neat. I am a makeup artist that specialzes in bridal application so I have been to a ton of venues. Also, Lezlie who works in sales there is very professional and understands needing to work within a specific budget.

I hope this helps!

Andrea N. Simmons
    FaceForward Weddings
    http://www.facebook.com/faceforwardweddings
  • THANKS LADIES!

If I posted my list you all would think I was insane.  It literally is over 150 places.  I am considering turning it in to a "sticky" for future brides so they don't have to go through the research I already did....

Houston Zoo doesn't allow ceremonies
    Rainbow Lodge can't accommodate 200 guests
    Houston Garden Center - isn't taking weddings after July since they are closing for renovations and the new Centennial Gardens, which looks like it will be amazing, will not open until the end of 2014, and we are not waiting that long
    Wortham Center - I checked into them before but fiance doesn't like this :-(
    Gardens on Bammel Lane - can't accommodate 200 people
    Bell Tower - beautiful, but I talked with Lezlie last week and they cannot accommodate my budget for a Saturday night.  They are pretty expensive - I think it would have been at least $30k.  Definintely NOT in my price range or even close

The Gallery - this is one of the two that we are going back and forth about; the pro here is that I can have my outdoor wedding. The con is that we like the look of the other place better and Gallery has split level seating, which we would prefer not to have to deal with; Gallery is in a great location for out-of-towners to stay at a hotel nearby in the Galleria area and we can bring in our own vendors, which gives us more control over our budget...but I can't say I really love the place.  It gives me my outdoor wedding and I have seen some really pretty pictures here. I would have to bring in a lot of decor (more $) and they don't have my date available. We would likely have to push back a couple months, which means it would be even hotter and more chance for rain, so outdoor wedding might not even be a good idea at that point.

The other location has a nicer area for cocktail hour and mingling, the brides/grooms suites are amazing, the location is near downtown, we can bring in our own vendors except alcohol, upgraded linens and centerpieces are included, all seating is on one level, but no outdoor option for ceremony. There is a park about 1 mile away that "could do" but neither fiance nor I really like it. We love Baldwin Park in midtown, but its about 8+ miles from the venue, so that could be pretty inconvenient for out of town guests to get all around...

although I change my mind several times per day, today (as in at 11:30am today), I am leaning towards the second option. However, I keep going back and forth thinking about the Gallery too. 

When it's all said and done, am I going to care if we take our vows outside or not? What matters most is that we share this moment with family and friends and have a good time.  I do want to me mindful of out-of-towner considerations, but I still want us to have a nice wedding that is what we want....

• I think it sounds like the outdoor wedding thing is throwing you off. Have you considered having your wedding offsite from your reception? I know that you have out of town guests but they must be getting around town somehow....are they renting cars? Are some of them renting and they can carpool? Can they ride with family members?

I think there is always some level of comprimise with a venue....none of them are going to be perfect. I would figure out which things matter most and go from there.

My sister got married at the Gallery and loved it, though she only had 110 guests so she used the upstairs for cocktail hour and the bar set up and all the guests were seated together. BUT we all froze to death because a cold front came through the day of her wedding and she hated the indoor option so she had the shortest, coldest wedding ceremony ever....beautiful though!

FWIW, I got married at Noveau Antique Art Bar. I think it can hold up to 200 people, the pricing is fantastic,you can bring in your own vendors, and it is close to numerous nice hotels; however, they don't have a place for a ceremony.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • AndreaJ200AndreaJ200 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2013
    Thanks!

We looked at Noveau last month and I thought it was pretty unique (and just a few blocks from Baldwin Park, which is gorgeous) but fiance was adamantly opposed to it.  He is not very open to the "funky" places.

We are going to book the other option - The Heights Villa - and we will either figure out an outdoor ceremony somewhere else or just have an indoor one. 

Fiance's take is same as yours that guests will figure out their own transportation and it's not our responsibility...I feel a little differently because the out of towners are pretty much my whole guest list - and almost all of his are in town, so it doesn't hit him as hard.  I would like to provide a shuttle or something if we have the ceremony and reception in different places, but that is an extra expense and like you said, might not even be an issue since the guests have to get around anyway...most are family and friends that all know each other anyways and some will stay for longer than just the wedding weekend so it will work out I'm sure....
  • Rainbow lodge accomodates 260. I am hosting my reception there, i chose not to do ceremony there because its awkward to walk down the deck. 

Have you looked at the Grove? Also Brennans? I was going with restaurants in my search because we were food snobs. 

With the gallery, you can do a stationed meal, my friend did that and fit about 250 in the space. She also had a bar outside and one upstairs and inside. 
  • Thanks dkleinen! 

The Rainbow Lodge website said it could accommodate up to 175 seated, which was why I didn't pursue it.  The Grove can't seat 200 either (with a dance floor).  I looked at Brennan's but something about it turned me off, just don't remember what.  We are not so much food snobs, though, so the restaurant vibe isn't quite what we are looking for - I want more of a party/dancing environment. 

Capacity is not an issue with the Gallery - it can hold up to 300, but I don't want to have to seat some people up and others down.  We could just seat our friends up and they would understand that family has to be seated down with us, but I wanted to avoid that.  Plus, booking the Gallery would require us to push our date out by 2 months.  If we were having a smaller party and weren't concerned about the heat, I think I would prefer the Gallery, but due to the number of guests, the space becomes a little awkward in my opinion. 
  • lightingponylightingpony member
    First Comment
    edited April 2013
    Have you looked at the Wynden, it is where Masraff's used to be on Post Oak Lane... Just an idea.
    -Susannah
  • I don't think your list is crazy.  My list began at around 50.

And it should totally become a sticky for people.  There's a lot of venues people don't find when just searching the Knot or normal wedding guides.

I think, ultimately, you'll either have to ditch the outdoor ceremony or settle on an outdoor ceremony that is not in the most ideal location.

Is there a reason why you're committed to city center or the galleria area?  You don't want to consider something further out, like Brady's landing?  Or go down to Kemah/Clear lake or Galveston?

If a lot of your guests will be staying in hotels, it seems like the location wouldn't be that important. 

SaveSave
  • Wynden was out of our budget but is definitely a nice space.

So, the reason I would prefer a more "happening" area is because so many of my guests of coming from out of town and have never been to Houston.  Some will be making a "family trip" out of it and staying for more than just the weekend.  Also, we will be having a rehearsal dinner on Friday night and an "out of towner" brunch on Sunday, and I would like the locations for these to be near or in the host hotel but also give our guests a nice Houston experience.  Rather than have my guests come to Houston and actually be lodging on the outskirts and having to commute all over the place, I would prefer they be in the thick of things....I know this is probably over thinking it and trying to accommodate my guests too much, but that is my reasoning.

Still leaning towards The Heights Villa and plan to review their contract this evening.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-houston_still-looking-for-venue-i-think-i-have-exhausted-all-options?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:121Discussion:554da48b-9f41-41fb-979a-273ec423c888Post:18b03873-aad1-41e7-912c-8b5b981d42a6">Re: Still Looking for Venue - I think I have exhausted all options!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks - ok so Discovery Green is not run by the City so they have a different permitting process...and it would be great to have the ceremony there, but not sure about where to do the reception that is affordable .  My understanding is tent rentals get extremely pricey.  Plus, Discovery Green has a lot of restrictions if you rent by the hour (i.e., can't bring decorations and chairs or speakers/mic for ceremony), so you have to rent it for the whole day (which then goes from costing a few hundred for a couple hours, to thousands for what ends up being a 30-minute ceremony if you want guests to be able to sit and also hear you).... Beautiful scenery, but logistics seem too challenging. Other city parks are definitely an option for the ceremony, but still need to find reception venue....(taking travel logistics into consideration due to the high number of out of town guests).  We might have to rent a shuttle bus (I think this would run about $700; it's not out of the question, but hoping to not incur that expense)
    Posted by AndreaJ200[/QUOTE]

Did you look into the Grove at Discovery Green? you can do the ceremony on the rooftop
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-houston_still-looking-for-venue-i-think-i-have-exhausted-all-options?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:121Discussion:554da48b-9f41-41fb-979a-273ec423c888Post:91eaef1b-b115-45d7-a3c0-12e06c96b40a">Re: Still Looking for Venue - I think I have exhausted all options!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Still Looking for Venue - I think I have exhausted all options! : Did you look into the Grove at Discovery Green? you can do the ceremony on the rooftop
    Posted by mustlovedogs26[/QUOTE]

Nevermind! I didnt read that you had already tried that one! Sorry and Good luck!
  • The Parador? Las Velas? just throwing out names now
  • THANKS!

Parador and Las Velas are over budget, as is the Magnolia Ballroom and River Oaks Garden Club.  :-(

I submitted a request to the Omni a while ago but never got a response.  I'll follow up about that but my research has shown that hotels are usually over budget (their service fees are high and you are required to use their caterers).

Looks like we're going with The Heights Villa, and we'll either do the ceremony indoors there or figure out a different location for the ceremony.

When I get a chance, I'm going to post the venue list with some info I received from each...
  • Have you looked at the airport museum at hobby? it was featured on style me pretty texas. I looked it up and they were reasonable, as well as dance floor/party friendly. i recall the only stipulation being wine and beer only and thats why i didnt pursue them... i wanted to be able to host a full bar. for the omni, call them asking to do a hotel block and then they will give you the contact for the booking of the hotel... although, i will warn ya.... its 'spensive. 

We are doing RL for reception and my fiance and I bought a table at Black Swan in Omni for afterparty. 
  • Fiance was opposed to the Airport Museum.  He wants a more "traditional" venue.  :-(  (plus, I want liquor there haha).

We still need to find a host hotel(s) for room block and Sunday brunch (maybe) so I will look into the Omni - THANKS! (plus I definitely want a hotel with a bar that stays open til 2am so we can keep partying!)
  • Now....next search (if I can accomplish my goal of having an outdoor ceremony but not making it too inconvenient for out-of-towners)....is to find a "host" hotel with space for an outdoor ceremony.  I'll check into the Omni, but anyone have any ideas as to central hotels that have picturesque outdoor spaces for a ceremony that can accommodate 200?
  • A hotel with a picturesque outdoor space I could think of is the Houstonian, but I don't think they would be in your budget.

The Omni Riverway has a large lawn area.
  • I think Omni is your best bet.... I got my room rate for $120, which is pretty reasonable. 

I would also try Alden Hotel in downtown... now called The Sam Houston (i think)... 
  • Thanks dkleinen - the Omni Riverway and Sam Houston/Alden are on my list to contact! I like the Houstonian space, but I think the hotel itself is not the right atmosphere I was hoping for.

I love Hotel Sorella....but their terrace only holds 50 :-(
  • Someone already mentioned Crystal Balllroom here, but said they could only do it with an unlimited budget.

I'm a 'budget bride,' and we are actually using Crystal Ballroom. We picked three SUNDAY dates next year that we would be willing to do, told Jamie there our budget, and she said, I can offer you this one date at this really discounted rate (no food and beverage minimum, discounted room rental) because it's a slow time for us.

We got a buffet, full bar, and rental for 100 people for $8,042. If you were to multiply that by 1.5 for your 150 guests, that'd still be under your budget at $12,063. It's worth a shot. 

They also have the large balcony that might be able to accomodate an outdoor ceremony... we're doing both ceremony and reception indoors using the stage.

Good luck!
  • AndreaJ200AndreaJ200 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2013
    Thanks BDM (by the way, I'm from the DC area too!)!  We can't do a non-Saturday date because of all the out-of-towners who may not be arriving until Friday night or Sat morning and will have to leave Sunday afternoon.  That place sure is beautiful though!  

My side of the guest list is almost entirely out of town (~100) so I want to take that into consideration since so many people will already be paying for flights and hotels, I don't want to have to ask them to miss work too.  Fiance doesn't want to do a Sunday morning/early afternoon wedding because his family all goes to church on Sunday.  We won't do Friday night because of Shabbat (my side is Jewish)....

I will say though, that when I did correspond with the Crystal Ballroom folks, they were very responsive and helpful, but we just couldn't get it in our budget....
  • In Response to Re:Still Looking for Venue I think I have exhausted all options!:[QUOTE]Someone already mentioned Crystal Balllroom here, but said they could only do it with an unlimited budget.I'm a 'budget bride,' and we are actually using Crystal Ballroom. We picked three SUNDAY dates next year that we would be willing to do, told Jamie there our budget, and she said, I can offer you this one date at this really discounted rate no food and beverage minimum, discounted room rental because it's a slow time for us.We got a buffet, full bar, and rental for 100 people for 8,042. If you were to multiply that by 1.5 for your 150 guests, that'd still be under your budget at 12,063. It's worth a shot.nbsp;They also have the large balcony that might be able to accomodate an outdoor ceremony... we're doing both ceremony and reception indoors using the stage.Good luck! Posted by bdmwedding[/QUOTE]

I have heard that the crystal ballroom CAN be very affordable. Unfortunately, our church only does Saturday weddings, and we need to get married in a more popular month.

But congrats on the good deal! That is such a great venue !

SaveSave
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-houston_still-looking-for-venue-i-think-i-have-exhausted-all-options?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:121Discussion:554da48b-9f41-41fb-979a-273ec423c888Post:61b3633c-042a-4bd5-8ded-776463da8c22">Re:Still Looking for Venue I think I have exhausted all options!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Still Looking for Venue I think I have exhausted all options!: I have heard that the crystal ballroom CAN be very affordable. Unfortunately, our church only does Saturday weddings, and we need to get married in a more popular month. But congrats on the good deal! That is such a great venue !
    Posted by monkeysip[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm originally from Houston but living in DC area now. We haven't set a date, but I'm already nervous about the venue becasue we will need room for around 200 people also and all the places you mentioned were on my list of possibilities. I'd really appreciate this as a sticky note (as I'm sure other brides would too!)</div><div>
    </div><div>Have you looked into Red Oak Ballroom in City Centre or Hotel Sorella? II've also seen a wedding on one of the blogs at Flora and Fauna although it was a small reception.  have no idea aout their prices, but I love the City Centre area becasue your guests can walk around and stay entertained in that center without really needing a car. My family lives in the Galleria area so I was hoping to find something in that area or downtown. Also, I haven't seen it in person, but I think the Parador looks really cool online. Please keep use posted on your search! </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Agave Road or Houston Raquet Club?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards