Not Engaged Yet

Old or New Ring? HELP!

I inherited my Great Grandmother's engagement and wedding rings. It has now become the time for me to get engaged and I don't know if I should use her ring or get one of my own. I love her ring because she was one of the most important women in my life but I am unsure if I will regret not having one of my own. Also I don't know how I feel about her ring. It is beautiful but very old, not super big, and it is gold and silver. I just don't know if it is the ring my boyfriend would love to give to me. I would love thoughts on if you regretted using someone else's ring etc. 

Re: Old or New Ring? HELP!

• Can you take the stones from your g-gma's ring and put it into a new setting that is more "you"? 

FWIW, H and I took one g-gma's setting (the stone of which is in my mom's wedding ring) and a stone from one of my other g-gma's rings and combined them to make my ring. 
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Belle2188Belle2188 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_old-or-new-ring-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:56ec3e72-652e-4029-91c3-14080b593a13Post:3c427a46-e1eb-45c0-88bf-ae45fe99f3cc">Old or New Ring? HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I inherited my Great Grandmother's engagement and wedding rings. It has now become the time for me to get engaged and I don't know if I should use her ring or get one of my own. I love her ring because she was one of the most important women in my life but I am unsure if I will regret not having one of my own. Also I don't know how I feel about her ring. It is beautiful but very old, not super big, and it is gold and silver. I just don't know if it is the ring my boyfriend would love to give to me. I would love thoughts on if you regretted using someone else's ring etc. 
    Posted by sac1228[/QUOTE]
    <div>I'm meant to inherit my grandmother's engagement ring--she's still with us (thankfully), but my grandfather passed away about 20 years ago and she's since remarried, so I'm told I can have it whenever I want.  However, I actually don't plan to use it as my e-ring.  I think I would use the diamond (not the setting--it's yellow gold, which isn't my taste) if it were a situation where BF couldn't afford a new ring, but although a lot of people do it, I still think I'd feel bad changing the setting.  Since BF has already been able to save for a ring, I'd rather not mess with my grandma's.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm sure that's hardly helpful, but that's my experience on the subject and the point is it's a matter of personal preference.  Think about your feasible alternatives and which would make you happiest.  On the one hand, you'll have a ring with tremendous sentimental value, and on the other you'll have a brand new ring chosen by you and/or your BF--you can't really go wrong in my eyes.</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA:  Just wanted to apologize for how poorly structured/worded this post is.  I just can't seem to muster up the strength to make it more cohesive at the moment!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My ering is a custom setting with my grandma's diamond. I suggest finding a way to make the rin g your own, unless you REALLY love the setting it is alreadyIin.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• My ring was handed down in FI's family. It is the same setting and stone. I do like the style of it. It is up to you. You can take the stone and have the band melted down to create a new ring or just use the stone with a new setting. 
    "You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." -Ray Bradbury 
  • my ring was left to my by my great-great aunt.  I thought about getting it reset in white gold instead of yellow gold, but I ended up loving it just how it was.  it has a lot of history to it.  I don't regret not buying a new ring one bit.  good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards