Not Engaged Yet

Too big, too small, just right?

Hi!!! I'm a new knottie, so I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place! Here is my question to yall! I am not yet engaged, but my boyfriend and I have been together for almost 5 years. We have our own place, pay our own bills, etc. We have been talking about marriage for a while now, and he told me in the past that he wants me to pick out my ring. And of course, I did. I wanted a ring that the setting would take up alot of space on my finger. So, I am in LOVE with this ring (picture attached). Now, I have been reading a good bit on these boards, and I came across a topic where one girl asked if a 1.0 carat diamond is small. Alot of responses were that it is a big diamond, and some asked for her finger size. She answered a 5.5 and some people said that a 1.0 carat diamond might get in the way. Well, I have a 3.75 size finger. And with this setting that I have picked out, my boyfriend wanted to get a 1.5 carat cushion cut diamond. Someone said that the shape of the diamond plays an important factor also. So what do yall think? The picture isnt exactly to scale, so I guess you would have to use your imagination on that one! haha! But is a 1.5 cushion on that setting on a 3.75 finger size too big, too small, or just right? I will be taking the ring off the wash my hands, sleep, shower, eat, etc. Thankyou for your time!

Re: Too big, too small, just right?

• You can have whatever size ring you want, but I would suggest trying a few diffrent styles and size on first.

I wear a 3.5, so I can tell you from experience that rings look different on small fingers, and different shapes look 'better' depending on hand/finger shape. before you get your heart set on a ring- go try some different styles on, w/ or w/o your BF. 

As a reference (and b/c I am a shameless ring AWer) here's a pic of my ring on my small fingers:

The center stone is just over .5, each side stone is about .2, for a reference....

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with PP. I have size 4.5 fingers and about the same size ring as PP. With my wedding band it is the perfect size for my finger. You should go to a store and look at rings on your finger. 
    Used to be bourgehm. +1,500 posts. Silly knot
  • Everyone has their preferences. The only way for you to know what you like is to try on some different rings and see what they look like on you.

• Thankyou both for your answers! I did go to the store, and I looked at a setting with the 1.5 cushion in it. I liked the way it felt then. But you know how you try on a new shoe and you walk around the shoe store with no problems? And then when you get home, you actually get to wearing it and they're really uncomfortable? Haha well, I like the way it looked, of course, I'm going to like the bling but I just wasnt sure how practical it would be wearing it every where I go. Ya know? I'm just wanting to make sure that is a practical size!
  • My ring has center stone of a carat my ring size is 5.  It was a bigger stone than I expected I don't mind either.  It doesn't get in the way or anything and doesn't feel really huge.
    Here is a pic:

Anniversary

• I wear a size 7 ring.  And my diamond is 1.0 carats exactly.  And for me, it's just right.  So, with fingers half my size, I think 1.5 would be enormous...but that's just me.
  • AprilH81AprilH81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    Have you tried on rings yet?  I went ring shopping once my BF and I started seriously talking about getting married.  I had no idea of what kind of ring I wanted and I wanted to give him some direction and still give him complete control of what he picked out.

I was surprised and what I DIDN'T like.  There were rings that I loved in the case but that I hated on my hand (high profile and would snag, made my fingers look short/fat, etc.).  Rings look so different when they are actually on your finger, so go shopping and have fun!

My ring size is 7.5 (I think) and I have short(ish) fingers.  When I had on a 1 karet oval cut it was borderline too big for my hand, the .75 karet oval cut looked much better.

ETA: Forgot to mention stone size.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Try things on.  And FFS, you don't have to take your ring off to eat.
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_too-big-too-small-just-right?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6315e0d1-f064-4e53-aa8a-d85bb0ed3819Post:dfe1822d-92b9-4149-b26c-3ba6992744f5">Re: Too big, too small, just right?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Try things on.  And FFS, you don't have to take your ring off to eat.
    Posted by annmarie714[/QUOTE]

Maybe she's a really messy eater?

This is definitely a matter of personal preference. My ring is size 5.25, and at first it had a 1-ct equivalent stone (round cut). I thought it was too big and had it reset with a 0.75ct stone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards