Not Engaged Yet

Intro

Hello NEY!

Y’all seem good to pass the time with, so I wanted to introduce myself and get into some of the conversations. I will post that little questionnaire below and let you read it/AMA to learn about me. As far as BF and I, we are both 24 and getting our lives together little pieces at a time. We’ve been dating for about five years, love the heck out of each other, and are in it for the long haul. Right now our collective goals are for me to finish school (he’s been done and working full-time for almost a year), and then we’ll figure out the home-buying and matrimonial stuff after that.

I am basically a professional lurker by now, and, in the interest of full disclosure, posted here a couple times before under an SN I no longer remember. I ended up deleting that account, I guess because I needed some more time to let the wisdom here sink in. I have since taken it to heart and really appreciate my relationship for what it is right now without wishing we were in a different place. So, now that I’m comfortable with that, I feel ready to post here again. :)

Screen Name: Amapola14
Significant Other's Age: 24
What You Do: Nursing assistant and nursing student
What SO Does: Mechanical engineer
State of Relationship: So happy togetherrrrrrrrr
How Long You've Been Together: 5 years
How You Met: A retreat for the honors program we were in as college freshmen
Wedding Date (if you're engaged/married): N/A. I’m more interested in my graduation date right now.
Real Babies: Not until I’m out of school, please!
Fur Babies: None that we share, but his family has horses and barn cats that we feed and snuggle on the regular
Loves: Animals, happy colors, reading, being outside (especially the beach), cooking/baking, musicals, The Walking Dead
Hates: Well, any sort of suffering that any living being has to endure. That’s about it for total hatred.
Pet Peeves: A whole arsenal of weird ones. The only one speaking to me right now is dirty bathrooms – probably because I am procrastinating on cleaning mine right now…
Hobbies/Activities: Workin’ and schoolin’ for now. To stay in shape I joined a pole/chair dancing gym-thing. It’s an awesome workout and really fun, even though I’ve got no rhythm to speak of.
Favorite Thing About Your SO: He treats me wonderfully, is patient and helpful and able to fix anything, always smells good, and is really smart!
Least Favorite Thing About Your SO: Eh. Nothing egregious comes to mind. It does make me sad that he doesn’t love vegetables as much as I do, but *shrug*.
Describe Your Personality: I am a quiet person who prefers to listen. I have been described as “oddly effervescent” and like to think that’s true. In MBTI-speak, I’m an INFJ.
Snark Level (1 [low snark] - 10 [high snark]): Pretty low, like a 3 or 4.
I've Been On TK Since: I’ve been lurking for a loooooong time.
How You Came to Be On TK: I was poking around TK being a bit BSC due to conversations about the future between me and BF. Then I found NEY and, after digesting some of the posts, hopped off the crazy train. Thanks, NEY :) I figured it would be OK to start posting as long as I hang around here and let y’all keep me sane.
How I like my potatoes: As steak fries with lots of ketchup, but I also liked them mashed with gravy or in stew
Favorite book/author: I like mysteries – Janet Evanovich, Harlan Coben, Chevy Stevens, etc. BF and I love Michael Crichton and similar authors. I enjoy Sophie Kinsella for the occasional indulgence in chick-lit. I will try pretty much anything that isn’t straight-up fantasy, so recommend your favorites, please!
Tell Us Something Interesting About Yourself: My mom is an RN, my grandma was an RN, so I’m hoping it runs in the family. I start nursing school in one month and will hopefully be done by next August! Hurray for summer classes!

Re: Intro

• Welcome! I like your MBTI speak :) 

Favorite kind of chocolate? What's the last book you read?
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  • Welcome! What level of nursing school are you doing - starting in 1 month and being done in just over a year seems like a really fast RN, or am I confused?
  • Hello fellow INFJ!  We make up less than 1% of the population and are the "rarest of the types" of Meyer Brigg category so I thought we should at least meet.

Do you find you meet the discriptions (http://www.personalitypage.com/INFJ.html)? I find it uncanny how close this describes me.
  • Yay, there are more like me! Haha, I am famous in my circle of friends for being a wee bit obsessed with MBTI, so I try to keep it on the down-low IRL. It just makes sense to me, though. Minskat, I definitely identify with that description of the INFJ, though I occasionally find myself slipping into ISFJ mode sometimes nowadays. I'll take it as a sign of personal growth.

Hi, kmbryant! Candy-wise, I like Reeses cups. When I have time to make something, I like chocolate chip cookies, fudge, or these cupcakes: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-chip-cookie-dough--cupcake--the-best-cupcake-ever/detail.aspx. The last book I read was those "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" books for something a little fluffy. Currently I'm reading Devil in the White City.

Stitches - it is a super-fast program! The program is an accelerated one designed for people who already have a college degree. It will be an Associates degree, not a BSN, which cuts out a few classes that some nursing students have to take. Also, I won't be getting summers off from school for the next couple of years - sad, but worth it in my opinion.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)
  • Hi there and welcome to the board! I love Harlan Coben too! What's your favorite of his? I've only read 3, I think and I'm going away soon so I'm looking for book recs! I also love the Walking Dead but I was super disappointed in the season finale.

• Hi and welcome! What is your favorite alcoholic drink? Where is your favorite vacation spot? Bf just started watching walking dead on Netflix. I don't know if I can get into it yet.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • RDR - Hold Tight has been my favorite so far, but I haven't read many more than you have. I'm number 200 or something on the waitlist for his newest one. *sigh* But he's written quite a few, so I'm sure you'll find something of his to read on your vacay :)

If you haven't read Chevy Stevens, I would also recommend her books. She's only written two so far, but they were very riveting and suspsenseful.
  • Hi buddysmom! I am a beer kind of girl; Blue Moon, Corona, whatever. Not so much into the vino. I don't get to go away very much anymore on account of school, but I like Assateague and Chincoteague for a long weekend. Ask me again after I graduate and I'm sure the list will be much more extensive :)

The Walking Dead is probably an acquired taste. BF doesn't really like it, but he is kind enough to watch with me sometimes. It is kind of going downhill anyway, which is sad.
  • HI and welcome.
    Do you have a favorite dessert?
    Best vacatoion you ever went on?

Anniversary

• Hey ama, welcome! 

What do you do for fun? Any hobbies? 

I'm watching Kitchen Nightmares and writing thank you notes, so tell me: what are your thoughts on cooking/food tv shows?

And you MUST answer this or else you can't sit with us: Who is your favorite NEY-er? <-- you can choose more than one if you need to.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Welcome!

As a fellow fan of Michael Crichton. Have you read his book Micro that was completed by Richard Preston? What did you think?

Pretty sure I cried when I found out he had passed away and was overjoyed when I learned about his unfinished manuscript that was completed and later published. Welcome to NEY!

• OMG!  I'm an INFJ too!  That's awesome.

Sounds like you're sane.  And have your priorities straight.  I like you.  Please stick around.

Also, since you've been lurking for a while, what threads have you found particularly interesting?  Why?

Also, Minskat, INFJ x 3?!  No way!
  • Danser - all dessert is good dessert :) As long as there is chocolate, I'm happy. Best vacation...probably studying abroad in Scotland. What a beautiful country!

Aud - first, congrats on almost two weeks of married bliss! For fun, I like to cook and bake, burn the calories with walks/hiking and pole dancing classes, and experiment with crafting, even though I am very messy and not the best at it yet. I took voice lessons for a while but they are kinda expensive right now, so maybe I'll return to that later on. Cooking/food TV shows are a good thing, but I only get to watch them when my patients at work are watching - no time at home.

I was afraid someone would ask about my favorite poster...Haha. I think probably beth and danser are the ladies I can most identify with, so that's always nice. Still's posts are always fun to read as well. There's nobody I can't stand, so that's good.

LMHollister - I liked Micro, but I could definitely tell there was another writer in there. It just seemed way gorier than pure Michael Crichton. I'm not sure how many manuscripts they found, but I'm hoping against hope there are a couple more. Did you end up reading Pirate Latitudes? That's the one I thought was super-different for him.

Well, shucks, Shoes, thanks! I always enjoy OLW since you get to hear about everyone's life beyond the usual NEY topics. And I'm a sucker for any of those, "What's your favorite thing about your SO," "How did you meet," "When did you know," type threads.

INFJs unite! I think it's 'cause we're awesome communicators and probably dynamite writers in particular, and we like to congregate for the common good. Yep, I'm gonnna go with that.
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_intro-19?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:689d5b20-7b06-4dbf-94bb-6be566c99033Post:e8092eb0-4cea-4cfe-9127-29c33baef877">Re: Intro</a>:
    [QUOTE]LMHollister - I liked Micro, but I could definitely tell there was another writer in there. It just seemed way gorier than pure Michael Crichton. I'm not sure how many manuscripts they found, but I'm hoping against hope there are a couple more. Did you end up reading Pirate Latitudes? That's the one I thought was super-different for him.[/QUOTE]

I dunno... some other "gory" ones that come to mind are Jurassic Park and Eaters of the Dead so it wasn't totally out of left field for me. But then again, I'm also a fan of Richard Preston so I'm probably biased. Overall I still felt like Preston made an effort to stick to the spirit of Michael Crichton and it made me happy to just see his name on the shelf again. I haven't read Pirate Latitudes yet although I keep meaning too! Crichton also has books under his belt like The Great Train Robbery so I guess it wasn't a complete crazy subject choice for him ya know? 

[QUOTE]INFJs unite! I think it's 'cause we're awesome communicators and probably dynamite writers in particular, and we like to congregate for the common good. Yep, I'm gonnna go with that.
    Posted by Amapola14[/QUOTE]

I'm an ENFJ but I suddenly have this huge desire to be part of all the INFJ fun lol.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_intro-19?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:689d5b20-7b06-4dbf-94bb-6be566c99033Post:e30ff86f-c82f-4910-8cf8-628d93943632">Re: Intro</a>:
    [QUOTE]OMG!  I'm an INFJ too!  That's awesome. Sounds like you're sane.  And have your priorities straight.  I like you.  Please stick around. Also, since you've been lurking for a while, what threads have you found particularly interesting?  Why? Also, Minskat, INFJ x 3?!  No way!
    Posted by loves2shop4shoes[/QUOTE]

Ha!  Look at that...I didn't know you were INFJ too.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards