Chit Chat
Options

NWR: Raise Question

Just a little background: I work for a small company as a supervisor.  Well our headquarters is small, but we have hundreds of sales people out there.  I do commissions for all the sales people on a weekly base.

The CFO/COO spoke to me March 13 about giving me a raise.  He said he needed to speak to my manager about it and they would get back to me.  A week passed and I asked my manager if he had told her.  She said yes and that she has been so busy she forgot.  Another week passed and I asked again but this time she said she was working on the paperwork because she was going to give a few people in our department a raise.  Another week passed and she said the paperwork was on the CFOs desk for his signature (which I don't believe).  So last week I went to the CFO and asked he said he hadn't forgotten and to talk to him at the end of the week.  We were so busy I haven't been able to go to his office.

I don't know what to do.  Before he even mentioned a raise I spoke to the HR lady and asked when I was due for a review because I wanted to ask for a raise.  She said I was due for a review about 2 months ago. 

Any idea of what I should do or should I just leave it.  Everything is so tight right now because of the wedding any extra little bit would help.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR: Raise Question

• Options
    Does your company normally do a sit-down review?  I'm unclear whether you are trying to get them to sit down with you or just give you a raise.

Since the CFO said to talk to him at the end of the week and you didn't have a chance, I would follow up with him today verbally.  Then follow with an email sort of memorializing the series of conversations to remind him.  Basically (language isn't great) "I want to make sure we are on the same page regarding my review and compensation.  On such and such date I talked to you, and you said....then on blah blah date I talked to you and you said....Please let me know when we can sit down and discuss this, or if there is anything I can do to facilitate the process."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_nwr-raise-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:27178334-b0d9-46e4-9703-c4acae73652aPost:8844bd8d-cfa2-4e70-91e1-c513baf8a776">Re: NWR: Raise Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does your company normally do a sit-down review?  I'm unclear whether you are trying to get them to sit down with you or just give you a raise. Since the CFO said to talk to him at the end of the week and you didn't have a chance, I would follow up with him today verbally.  Then follow with an email sort of memorializing the series of conversations to remind him.  Basically (language isn't great) "I want to make sure we are on the same page regarding my review and compensation.  On such and such date I talked to you, and you said....then on blah blah date I talked to you and you said....Please let me know when we can sit down and discuss this, or if there is anything I can do to facilitate the process."
    Posted by nextrightthing[/QUOTE]

They usually do a sit down review and then a raise.  When I asked the HR lady I was going to ask for my review.  However, they also do raises without reviews and when the CFO spoke to me he didn't mention a review, just that he knew I shouldn't be making what I'm making now and he was speaking to my manager about a raise.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_nwr-raise-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:27178334-b0d9-46e4-9703-c4acae73652aPost:5ed9e5fa-558d-4996-9bf6-b5c4f80162ac">Re: NWR: Raise Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]He told you to see him at the end of last week about it?  Then go see him about it.  
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Hopefully he has a moment for me today.  I just honestly feel like I'm begging for money because of all the asking about the status of it and then the "oh I forgot" and "I'm working on it" and "its on his desk."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_nwr-raise-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:27178334-b0d9-46e4-9703-c4acae73652aPost:ac74a251-a1ab-4534-a214-6fd53f1e2edf">Re: NWR: Raise Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Raise Question : Hopefully he has a moment for me today.  I just honestly feel like I'm begging for money because of all the asking about the status of it and then the "oh I forgot" and "I'm working on it" and "its on his desk."
    Posted by fperez7542[/QUOTE]

<div>If it's quite obvious that you're going to be getting a raise, or shouldn't be making as little as you're making, then you're not begging for money. You WORK to EARN it. Your work must have improved, so therefore what you earn should improve.</div><div>
    </div><div>You're entitled to it. Not begging.</div>
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  • Options
    For the record, this is why men typically make more money than women. Men aren't afraid to pursue raises aggressively, and women (statistically speaking) are.

This is true.  I notice myself worrying about being too aggressive, and I have to remind myself men don't do that.  :/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Checking in about once a week isn't bad form when it is already in process. Go talk to him about the status of the paperwork. As PP's said, he asked you to check in with him, so do it!
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards