Chit Chat
Options

Black Tie Optional

I know knotties loathe "black tie optional" dress codes. And I never really understood why until this weekend.

I received one of the fanciest invites I have ever gotten (hand calligraphy, inner envelope, really thick card stock, multiple inserts, etc) and on the invite it said black tie optional. Now, normally, I gage what I would wear based on the venue (one of the fanciest hotels in my city) and how fancy the invite is. And everything about this invite says black tie.

What should H and I wear? I don't want to show up in a floor length dress and have everyone else be cocktail dresses.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Black Tie Optional

• Options
    Does it say black tie optional on the invite?

Honestly, I would go with black tie, but then maybe bring a back up dress in the car so you can change if you're too formal.
  • Options
    I agree with Liatris.

I think a very pretty cocktail dress and nice shoes will be more then appropriate for the wedding.  Even if your H does wear a tux you will still be formal enough in a shorter dress.

If your H doesn't want to rent or wear a tux then a very nice black suit with a crisp white shirt and black tie would be sufficient.

• Options
    Yes it does say "black tie optional" on the invite not even on an insert.

H does own a tux but I dont own a gown, except horrible prom dresses that I never got rid of.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You could always rent a gown from Rent the Runway.  They have long dresses that would be appropriate for a black tie event and then it doesn't sit in your closet collecting dust.
    photo bridalparty.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I always think its better to be over dressed than underdressed. That being said, since you said you didn't have a long gown, I agree with PP to wear an awesome cocktail dress, with really nice shoes and nice jewelry. And H should wear the tux since he has one.
  • Options
    Tux and cocktail dress sound like a safe plan to me. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_black-tie-optional?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:974f474b-2049-4036-9f50-68cbf7d59ee8Post:9e6953bd-9ac8-4cb8-8084-44563086e9c7">Re: Black Tie Optional</a>:
    [QUOTE]You could always rent a gown from Rent the Runway.  They have long dresses that would be appropriate for a black tie event and then it doesn't sit in your closet collecting dust.
    Posted by suzie211[/QUOTE]

<div>Boom. This is a great idea. I've always wanted to try this site!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards