Chit Chat
Options

What did/do you want to be when you grew/grow up?

And what did you end up doing?

I wanted to be the Doctor's Companion (I used to pretend I was Sarah Jane), a writer or an attorney.

I ended up peddling process equipment (like big industrial pumps), though because i handle international sales, there is a substantial amount of law involved...so I guess the law interest is partially satisfied.
image   imageimage
You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

Re: What did/do you want to be when you grew/grow up?

• Options
    edited April 2013
    I wanted to be a teacher and an author.

I currently teach high school and college English and composition.

Hoping to one day get a book published when I can find some time to sit down and write.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    Either a brain surgeon or a "Broadway Producer" like Maxwell Cheffield on The Nanny.

I'm a reality tv story producer. 

Muppet are you excited for tonight's DW? H makes fun of me because I told him I'm never getting over The Ponds leaving so I automatically hate Clara.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-diddo-you-want-to-be-when-you-grewgrow-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:9e741308-38c1-49f2-9e5b-e59073b328f0Post:084b80e2-ca8a-4c65-81b6-2f51bbb921f6">Re: What did/do you want to be when you grew/grow up?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Either a brain surgeon or a "Broadway Producer" like Maxwell Cheffield on The Nanny. I'm a reality tv story producer.  Muppet are you excited for tonight's DW? H makes fun of me because I told him I'm never getting over The Ponds leaving so I automatically hate Clara.
    Posted by daria24[/QUOTE]

Yes. I'm taping it, but I'm unfortunately a season behind because our DVR died last year and took the first few episodes of the series and I dont like watching them out of sequence...and it hasn't been on netflix yet. Hopefully soon. Once It appears, I pretty much wont sleep and will watch it all in a day. So, I haven't seen Amy leave yet. =(
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    I wanted to be a teacher and an author. I'm a teacher and am working on my first book. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options

Oh there have been so many different ideas: a writer, a professional equestrian rider/trainer, an astronomer, and a meteorologist.  There a probably more but I can't think of them. 

I'm still in school but I want to get my PhD in Linguistics so I can do research.  

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    I wanted to be a chef.  Thankfully I have worked in 3 restaurants and realized that I didn't want to work nights, weekends and holidays.  I am a school counselor.
  • Options
    I wanted to a teacher or an entrepreneur.

I'm currently in school and will ultimately become a surgeon.
  • Options
    I wanted to be a writer or a psychologist.

I was an x-ray tech for about 7 years. Now I'm back in school for Informatics/Computer Science so that I can help produce better medical software.

• Options
    I remember wanting to be a firefighter at one point and a lawyer at another point. I left high school thinking I wanted to be a journalist. I was editor-in-chief of my hs newspaper for 2 years so I thought "I could def do this." Then I got into college, took a feature writing class & realized I hated it. I then got onto the radio as a DJ, & thought "I want to be a radio host. The girl version of Howard Stein". Then, I thought I wanted to be an accountant. Now, here I am with still no idea of what I really want to do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I wanted to be a singer. Then I wanted to be a psychologist. Then I wanted to be a publicist.

I still sort of wish I was a psychologist, but I'm a publicist.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-diddo-you-want-to-be-when-you-grewgrow-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:9e741308-38c1-49f2-9e5b-e59073b328f0Post:05f3d007-5eea-4cad-afe9-7923abab71d8">Re: What did/do you want to be when you grew/grow up?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wanted to a teacher or an entrepreneur. I'm currently in school and will ultimately become a surgeon.
    Posted by shaygray88[/QUOTE]

What kind of surgeon?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-diddo-you-want-to-be-when-you-grewgrow-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:9e741308-38c1-49f2-9e5b-e59073b328f0Post:084b80e2-ca8a-4c65-81b6-2f51bbb921f6">Re: What did/do you want to be when you grew/grow up?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Either a brain surgeon or a "Broadway Producer" like Maxwell Cheffield on The Nanny.<strong> I'm a reality tv story producer.</strong>  Muppet are you excited for tonight's DW? H makes fun of me because I told him I'm never getting over The Ponds leaving so I automatically hate Clara.

Really?!?! This is awesome! How did you get into it?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I wanted to be an artist, teacher, or librarian.  I went and got my my Bachelor's in Elementary Education with a concentration in English, taught for a while and realized I DID NOT want to be in a classroom, then went back and got my Masters in Library and Information Sciences with a specialization in Children's Services.  I'm currently the Head of Children's Services in a public library (and I do photography on the side!).  Love working as a children's librarian!  Looks like it all shook out for me in the end. 
  • Options
    I when I was little I wanted to be a principal dancer for the New York City Ballet. As I grew up I wanted be a professional actress and dancer on Broadway. I got my acting degree did the theater thing for awhile.

I decided to go back to grad school got my MBA and became a financial advisor.

Anniversary

• Options
    It's so interesting seeing what everyone does for a living! I grew up wanting to be a ballerina, then I wanted to be an astronaut, and then when my dad told me how much radiologists make, I wanted to be a radiologist like our neighbor. Now, I'm a project manager.
  • Options
    I wanted to be either a forensic scientist (à la CSI, but well before that show came out and made it cool).  Then I wanted to go into Holistic medicine.  I ended up doing a combined Phys-Ed/Education degree (I got both), though you couldn't have paid me to teach.  I loved student teaching though and ended up teaching PE and French.  

I swore I never wanted to be a teacher, but when I went back to my elementary school for their 30th anniversary, my Grade 4 teacher had posted up a paragraph we had all written 15 years before about what we wanted to do when we grew up.  There was space to write in beside what we were actually doing now.  Apparently I had wanted to be a grade 3 teacher back then.  

• Options
    I wanted to be a meteorologist, a vet (but I'm allergic to cats), a writer, then a scientist.

I went to college for Biology, but changed my major to Sonography during my first trimester at school.  I've been a sonographer for almost 6 years, and absolutely love it.  However, I hate scanning OB!!!!!  It's such a cliché of our job, and I just don't enjoy scanning "all the little babies" (as my last patient put it).  I love scanning abdomens and thyroids lol.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to Re:What did/do you want to be when you grew/grow up?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Really?!?! This is awesome! How did you get into it? Posted by Sierra524[/QUOTE]

I went to school for TV, but basically I replied to a Craig's List add looking for PAs to work at the casting call for the reboot of American Gladiators casting call and I wrote about how I never understood why people couldn't run up the backwards treadmill thing during the Eliminator and the producer thought it was hilarious. And then through people I met on that job I just kept getting referrals to other jobs.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-diddo-you-want-to-be-when-you-grewgrow-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:9e741308-38c1-49f2-9e5b-e59073b328f0Post:1b9b089d-92c8-42ae-b6c4-2e47c43e07bc">Re:What did/do you want to be when you grew/grow up?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:What did/do you want to be when you grew/grow up?: I went to school for TV, but basically I replied to a Craig's List add looking for PAs to work at the casting call for the reboot of American Gladiators casting call and I wrote about how I never understood why people couldn't run up the backwards treadmill thing during the Eliminator and the producer thought it was hilarious. And then through people I met on that job I just kept getting referrals to other jobs.

<div>I'd like to thank you for making that reboot possible.  American gladiators was such a childhood nostalgia for me.  I loved watching it again</div>

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-diddo-you-want-to-be-when-you-grewgrow-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:9e741308-38c1-49f2-9e5b-e59073b328f0Post:177c34ef-79ec-40bd-811a-97f402d5e80e">Re:What did/do you want to be when you grew/grow up?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:What did/do you want to be when you grew/grow up? : I'd like to thank you for making that reboot possible.  American gladiators was such a childhood nostalgia for me.  I loved watching it again
    Posted by kje_[/QUOTE]

Cosigned, me. I used to watch AG while I was eating Tic Tac Toes at my friend's house when we were kids.
    image   imageimage

• Options
    In Response to Re:What did/do you want to be when you grew/grow up?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:What did/do you want to be when you grew/grow up?:American gladiators was such a childhood nostalgia for me. nbsp;I loved watching it again Posted by kje_[/QUOTE]

Ha I had very little to do with it, I think only one contestant from our auditions made it. But two of my friends met through the show, she was a contestant and he was on the crew, and they got married two years later. AG brings people together yo.
  • Options
    Daria, you might find some reality inspiration from my other thread! lol
    There, you should share something you've actually pitched! Enquiring minds want to know!
    image   imageimage

• Options
    Stage, I want your job. I used to mix, do lighting, and graphics professionally during college, but currently it won't pay the bills without going on tour, and I don't want to do that right now. And then I married H who does do all that for a living and absolutely loves it (not to mention, he's way better at it than me). I wanted to be a sculpted or painter, which i am awful at, so that's not going to happen. I interned with a meteorologist when I was in high school which I really enjoyed, but not something I always wanted to do. I love writing, and have always been told I'm good at it. Would like to write a book, but I'm out of ideas. My degree is in mass communication/journalism with a graphic design minor. So I'm kind of all over the place.
  • Options
    The first thing I ever wanted to be was a veterinarian.  The closest I ever came was working at a Petsmart for 3.5 years...

In the fall I'll be going to grad school to become a music therapist.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-diddo-you-want-to-be-when-you-grewgrow-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:9e741308-38c1-49f2-9e5b-e59073b328f0Post:d88fbe1f-460d-47e9-967a-42f12145de6c">Re: What did/do you want to be when you grew/grow up?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What did/do you want to be when you grew/grow up? : What kind of surgeon?
    Posted by Sierra524[/QUOTE]

I haven't decided yet. I'm really interested in the risky stuff though. Like gun shot wounds etc...
  • Options
    n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-diddo-you-want-to-be-when-you-grewgrow-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:9e741308-38c1-49f2-9e5b-e59073b328f0Post:6f1f5bd7-4463-4ec1-b883-5d639d04c3f5">Re: What did/do you want to be when you grew/grow up?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The first thing I ever wanted to be was a veterinarian.  The closest I ever came was working at a Petsmart for 3.5 years... In the fall I'll be going to grad school to become a music therapist.
    Posted by wittykitty14[/QUOTE]

What does a music therapist do? I'm intrigued. I've never heard of this.
    image   imageimage

• Options
    I'm so boring. I have always loved math and did great at UIL Number Sense, Mathematics, all that stuff. So I wanted to be an accountant, even when I was little. And now I'm a CPA, and what I do really has very little to do with math - but I still love it.

Daria - My H is a cinematographer and he's worked on some reality shows, although he prefers scripted. Is most of your work in NY? He goes all over.
  • Options
    I love this post because I'm learning about what a cool, talented, creative and diverse group we have.
    image   imageimage

• Options
    In Response to Re:What did/do you want to be when you grew/grow up?:[QUOTE]Daria My H is a cinematographer and he's worked on some reality shows, although he prefers scripted. Is most of your work in NY? He goes all over. Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

These days I work in post in NYC, but the shows I work on film all over the US.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-diddo-you-want-to-be-when-you-grewgrow-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:9e741308-38c1-49f2-9e5b-e59073b328f0Post:8fc106be-7ed9-4705-ad5e-78c09db473ad">Re:What did/do you want to be when you grew/grow up?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:What did/do you want to be when you grew/grow up?: These days I work in post in NYC, but the shows I work on film all over the US.

What's the craziest idea you've heard pitched in your career?
    image   imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards