Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Cake Flavors?

Since our siggy is cake this month...

What flavors did you have/are you getting for your cake?  And what were your favorites from other weddings you've been to, if you remember??

I have no idea what to go for with cake, and I'd love to hear what worked for everyone else.  I've had tiramisu cake at a wedding before and it was really good!  But I don't think our pastry chef usually does that flavor.

Re: Cake Flavors?

• edited December 2011
    Mmmm cake....

We're doing chocolate cake with chocolate mousse, banana cake with bavarian cream filling, and lemon cake with raspberry filling. It was definitely difficult picking out flavors with all the possible combinations! Our bakery gave us the cake separate from the fillings so we could try different combinations, which was really helpful.
    Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

• edited December 2011
    We are planning to do a rev velvet caske with white icing.  It's included in our package, so we will have to meet with the chef next year to go over design options.  It seems fitting though as red and white are our wedding colors. 

I initially wanted chocolate cake, but FI doesn't like chocolate (so weird, I know!) and I am not a huge fan of vanilla.  We both love red velvet though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • heb557heb557 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For our top tier we did White Almond batter with chocolate buttercream icing. We're having diffent kinds of cupcakes for our guests. We're having plain chocolate and vanilla, but we're also getting Fancy cupcakes. For those we decided to do 3 different kinds so there are options.

1. White Almond batter with rasberry filling and white chocolate shavings on the icing.
    2. S'mores cupcake-  chocolate batter, marshmellow cream filling with marshmelllows on top.
    3. Vanilla batter, chocolate filling with chocolate topping with sprinkles!

yum!
    We're Married!! And I couldn't be happier!
  • edited December 2011
    Yummm, good discussion!  It's making me hungry for cake now:)  We're having vanilla almond cake with strawberry filling and buttercream icing.  My mom does cakes so she'll be doing this for us!  So excited!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Britt0412Britt0412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance is totally stuck on the idea of getting a cheesecake for a wedding cake. We went to a wedding a year or two ago and they had a seriously amazing cheesecake. The bride's parents drove it to Pittsburgh from Wisconsin. It was light, airy, amazing! But I don't know if we can find something comparable here.

With that said, does anyone have a lead on a baker that can do a cheesecake wedding cake? I promised him I'd at least look into it.

We also love the idea of a Prantl's burnt almond torte or something from Oakmont or Vanilla.
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    mm cheesecake wedding cake sounds kinda awesome.  no clue where to look for that though.

FI loves chocolate.  If he had his way, the cake would be chocolate, with chocolate fudge inside, and chocolate icing.  I'm ok with one chocolate layer, but I want some fruit layers. 

Vanilla almond with strawberry or raspberry sounds good, carly!
  • edited December 2011
    I think we're doing the almond cake with raspberry and bavarian filling for the guests... if FI and I have the option of having our own flavor for the tier that we cut into, we'll probably do red velvet since it's our favorite.  This post is making me HUNGRY!  :)
  • bgfst1bgfst1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing red velvet, since it's a cake a commonly make for my fiance and therefore has sentimental value :) We're also doing cupcakes in yellow and chocolate cake....

The best wedding cake I had was a carrot cake with whipped cream icing. The cake was perfectly moist, flavorful, and just.... yum!
  • bgfst1bgfst1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_cake-flavors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:116Discussion:487532fe-8ef6-46cd-bee7-e9751d9069dfPost:0457bbcf-972c-4620-857d-5c1a4ff38126">Re: Cake Flavors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance is totally stuck on the idea of getting a cheesecake for a wedding cake. We went to a wedding a year or two ago and they had a seriously amazing cheesecake. The bride's parents drove it to Pittsburgh from Wisconsin. It was light, airy, amazing! But I don't know if we can find something comparable here. With that said, does anyone have a lead on a baker that can do a cheesecake wedding cake? I promised him I'd at least look into it. We also love the idea of a Prantl's burnt almond torte or something from Oakmont or Vanilla.
    Posted by Britt0412[/QUOTE]

You should talk to Oakmont Bakery to see if they can make a wedding cake out of their Oakmonter - that way you could have cheesecake and regular cake :)
  • MRadsMRads member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cheesecake cake sounds amazing!  I honestly have no idea what flavor our cake is.  I went to the cake tasting and we tasted stuff, but I really have no interest in cake.  I hope whatever we picked tastes good!

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • LilyWater09LilyWater09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We are having a plain cake at this point.  Neither of us really care about the cake.  But his Dad does so I think we may let him choose the flavor - he loves Oakmont Bakery. 

• edited December 2011
    Britt- The burnt almond torte from Prantl's is our favorite. We had it for my grandparent's 50th anniversary celebration so it seemed fitting to have it for our wedding cake as well!
  • bwk1023bwk1023 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our package includes a Bethel Bakery buttercream cake!  So, we selected marble batter with a chocolate mousse filling (for an additional charge).  FI loves cake and he was willing to "splurge" on this part of the wedding ;-)  We figure marble pleases not only us, but probably a lot of our guests, and if they don't care for the choc mousse filing, they can easily eat around it!
  • Britt0412Britt0412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    bgfst1 - great idea about the Oakmonter! I didn't even realize they had something like that. I'm definitely inquiring.

jmrupphrech - we also LOVE the burnt almond torte. I love the sentinmentality of having it for both an anniversary and wedding. Did you have the traditional almond exterior or the smooth iced finish?
  • edited December 2011
    MD - I'm with your FI...I would totally do it up as chocolate as I could if everyone would enjoy it:) I do consider myself to be a chocoholic;)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We're thinking about mango passionfruit with white cake, strawberry and lemon, or key lime. Not sure if all of our guests are going to like mango though, but it's sooo good!
    Married since May 12, 2012
  • edited December 2011
    Britt- We aren't getting married until next August so we havent decided for sure on that yet. But i'm leaning toward the almond exterior. I love the picture on their website with the almond exterior and red roses in between.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards