Chit Chat
Options

Vacation Scam?

I recieved a call from  the "Bridal Registry Inc", a 631 area code. They say they got my information from registration for a bridal show, bridal magazine, or even when registering for an account on here. From that my name was put into a raffle and I won 3 prizes.
1. A set of wedding bands or a vacation
2. $1000 coupon book
3. 20-40% off their products.
To obtain the prizes I have to attend a 'no-pressure-to-buy' product demonstration. Which should last only 30 minutes. Guh, this smells fishy. Undecided Other postings  I've seen similar to this  say it's a waste of time, there are taxes to pay on the trip which could cost more than the trip itself and the hotel selection is crappy.

What do you think?  How anyone ever recieved a call from them? If so, what happened for you?
An animator and a writer are planning a wedding, it will be an epic graphic novel.

Re: Vacation Scam?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_vacation-scam?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d0e83689-6171-400d-a6c4-3eecaa2a64d4Post:5cce3b68-ef38-4da9-a603-00e48faac3e1">Vacation Scam?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I recieved a call from  the "Bridal Registry Inc", a 631 area code. They say they got my information from registration for a bridal show, bridal magazine, or even when registering for an account on here. From that my name was put into a raffle and I won 3 prizes. 1. A set of wedding bands or a vacation 2. $1000 coupon book 3. 20-40% off their products. To obtain the prizes I have to attend a 'no-pressure-to-buy' product demonstration. Which should last only 30 minutes. Guh, this smells fishy. Other postings  I've seen similar to this  say it's a waste of time, there are taxes to pay on the trip which could cost more than the trip itself and the hotel selection is crappy. What do you think?  How anyone ever recieved a call from them? If so, what happened for you?
    Posted by Gammaderson[/QUOTE]

Google it. There's a ton of these. Don't waste your time. You didn't 'win' anything. It's their gimmick.

You go and they will try to sell you cutlery or pots and pans.
    They will give you a coupon for a set of wedding bands that aren't precious metals and you have to pay like $50 or $100 for shipping.

The vacation is a certificate for an extremely amount of limited specific hotels, on limited, specific days, that you still have to pay a service charge to use and that charge increases a lot on the weekend
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    RamonaFlowersRamonaFlowers member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    I don't even have to Google it to tell you that if you're required to "sit through a presentation" to collect, it's not a prize, it's a scam.

If you won an actual prize, they would just send it to you (Or just let you redeem it, no questions asked). The "no-pressure, won't last longer than 30 minutes" presentation is most definitely some kind of sales pitch. Which will most likely last way longer than 30 minutes, and there will be pressure to buy whatever it is that they're trying to sell.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• Options
    staar987staar987 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited April 2013
    About a year ago I got a call from a different company saying that I "won" the same prizes. I did some research on it. It is not a no pressure to buy presentation. It is a high pressure sales pitch. Most people said it lasted longer than 30 minutes.

The set of wedding bands is a coupon code to JVL. You can find the same coupon code on the internet for free if you are interested. You still pay shipping.

The coupon book is a joke. You have to pay to have the coupon book sent to you. It is pretty much an envelope of coupon from the news paper.

The discount of their products isn't that great. The one that called me sold pots and pans. Their sets were like $3-5K. Any discount doesn't make that worth it.

The vacation that you can get got mixed reviews when I read about it. You had to send the company a check for a couple hundred and they would refund it to you after the trip. There were lots of restrictions and other high service fees. There were slow a number of people having a hard time getting their refund after the trip.

ETA: Adding $ and symbols since TK mobile hates symbols. I did not mean 35K.

• Options
    Bottom line: if you "win" a contest you didn't enter, it's a scam.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    We ended up not going. Didn't want to waste the time.
    An animator and a writer are planning a wedding, it will be an epic graphic novel.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards