Chit Chat
Options

VENT - birthday cake drama - WR

My FIs bday is 2 days after the wedding (which is this weekend).  I ordered a birthday cake for him decorated with his favorite sports team and am bringing it out with dessert at the rehearsal dinner.  He really wanted an ice cream cake at the wedding and since we weren't able to have one, I know he will be so excited.  Also, his team is playing on our wedding day so he will be SUPER excited about the cake!  I can't wait to bring it out and sing happy birthday to him with his closest friends and family in one room (because how often does that happen??) I told his mom my plan a few weeks ago.

Anyway, I just emailed her to tell her something about his bday, and mentioned the cake again.

She replied, "Cousin 1 called me last night to see if he and Cousin 2 could bring a cake for FI – I said yes – so you won’t have to worry about this –ok??"

ok....
1st of all, I told her a while ago that I was planning to do this, and have already paid for it. 

2nd, while she's paying for a portion of the rehearsal dinner I feel like it was out of bounds for her to just make a food decision without consulting me and my family (also paying portion).  (**note, i included her when i made the decision to get him a cake, even though she apparently has forgotten?) Had I not emailed her would she have even told me?

3rd, do I not have the right as his future wife to be involved in a discussion about his birthday cake at our rehearsal dinner before she "approves" it??

Maybe this seems ridiculous (and it probably is... we are 5 days away and tension is high)but FMIL has this habit of "telling" instead of "asking" and it's driving me nuts!!!!!  She has a very high powered job and manages a lot of people, and a lot of times I feel like she brings that power into her relationships with us.

I don't really have a question, I just needed to vent about this so I can move past it and focus on the important stuff, like marrying the man of my dreams!  I have such a bad habit of letting things get to me and I reallllllyyyy need to let this go...

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: VENT - birthday cake drama - WR

• Options
    Oh gosh sorry I forgot to write that part... I wrote back and said:

"I actually already ordered and paid for an ice cream cake, since I knew he wanted one. Remember we talked about it? Anyway, please let Cousins know it's taken care of. Thanks!!!"

Perhaps a little passive aggressive but I hope I got my point across!  She hasn't replied yet.....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_vent-birthday-cake-drama-wr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:ec7b69f6-965b-4ab3-bff8-b9f21f8d42a3Post:1cacb09a-2c33-4bb2-9df0-483cda932b01">Re: VENT - birthday cake drama - WR</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh gosh sorry I forgot to write that part... I wrote back and said: "I actually already ordered and paid for an ice cream cake, since I knew he wanted one. Remember we talked about it? Anyway, please let Cousins know it's taken care of. Thanks!!!" Perhaps a little passive aggressive but I hope I got my point across!  She hasn't replied yet.....
    Posted by Benny618[/QUOTE]

I don't think what you said was out of line at all.  The only part that MAY be considered passive aggressive is the "remember we talked about it?", if that's how you worded it. I know it's too late, but saying something like "I knew he wanted an ice cream cake, so I already ordered and paid for one, like we talked about before" might have smoothed it over a bit.  But I don't think you were rude or anything, and handled it quite well!  Let us know what she says back!
  • Options
    I think she's just trying to help you and I think you handled it well. She has been given plenty of time to amend it with the cousins (hoping they don't make or buy a cake 5 days in advance!). i agree though, if they show up with one anyway, don't take it personally. The meaning and focus on your special cake will not be diminished.

Enjoy the next few days!
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    More cake is not a bad thing. 
  • Options
    You handled it great. I'd have been pissed, too. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    She replied...

"Ok – I forgot – I will let cousin know - thanks"

she is clearly pissed, bc all her other emails have some mixture of XOXO, SOO EXCITED, CAN'T WAIT, etc...

Oh well....

and I agree, you can't have too much cake... I just don't really appreciate the way she went about it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    omg that's an amazing video. I keep watching the kid's face.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards