Attire & Accessories Forum

Help me pick my dress, please! (PIP Heavy)

I tried on 3 dresses this weekend that I fell in love with, all for different reasons. They are all about the same price, and all fit me perfectly (so no alterations, at least nothing major). I honestly cannot decide which is more flattering on me, and which will go better with my flowers (I made my own metal flower brooch bouquet). Can you help? 
Also, if you dislike one of them one me, please let me know why! Thanks!

Dress 1

Dress 2 (sash would not be tied like this, it has snaps that make it smooth)

Dress 3 (forgive my silly faces)

These are the brooches I"m using for my flowers
Praying for a miracle!

Re: Help me pick my dress, please! (PIP Heavy)

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    I dont think dress 1 or 3 are very flattering. They both draw too much attention to your hips, which are tiny, but the extra fabric/ detailing makes them look larger. And dress 1 makes you look shorter than you look in the other dresses. Dress 2 on the other hand, is stunning. It is classic and my vote. But is that your style?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love the detail on the first one, but I agree that the placement around your hips is awkward and not very flattering.  I don't like the 3rd one at all.  The second one is nice, but still not knocking my socks off.

I'm sorry I'm not much help.  
  • I actually think the first one suits you very well. The second one is ok. I really don't like the way the third dress poofs out at the hips.
  • you look the happiest in dress #2 and it looks great on you!

I love the a-line shape of dress #1 on you though, but I agree that its busy on the hip area so it just immedialtely draws your attention there.  The back is gorgeous though!!  

Anniversary
  • Thanks for the input so far, ladies! 
    #1 the sash part  (hip area) is my favorite part of that dress; and I love that color. I know it draws the eye, but I"m 6' and think the drop waist works well on me. I think it looks stunning from the back, as well. 
    #2 is what I originally was looking for, but seeing it on I'm not so sure. I feel like it makes my stomach area look "puffy" and I'm not sure the fit through the hips/thighs looks right on me. However, I am in love with the buttons that go all the way down the train.
    #3 I would likely remove the straps, but I love the fairytale, airy feel of the dress. It's white, where the others are ivory; I was leaning more towards ivory before I officially started looking.

My usual style varies. Some days my outfits are more classic and simple, other days my choices are more vibrant. Don't know if any of this would help or change anyone's opinions; but thought I'd add a little more. Thanks again!
    Praying for a miracle!
  • QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2013
    Ivory looks better on almost ALL skin tones. I honestly don't think the 3rd dress does anything for your shape.  If it helps at all, you sound the most excited about the first dress in your descriptions above. 
  • I like the second one best on you! The first and last one have too much going on next to your tattoos. The second one being more simple actually stands out more and shows off your figure better.
  • I like the first dress the best.
  • mmk1324mmk1324 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2013
    I totally pick dress 1. It is not your typical wedding dress which I love. I think it has a lot of character and personality and the different hues kind of give it a vintage feel. Also, with your tattoos I think you'd look like a bridal pin up girl if that's makes sense. Just my two sense but I think it's beautiful!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • #1!

I love the beaded detail on the bodice and skirt, and the sash is lovely.  I don't think it makes your hips look big, and I think overall it is a very flattering dress.  I could never pull it off, but I'm curious who the designer is and what the style number is. . . I'd like to creep it online :-P

I don't know what your taste is, but I think the other two are too plain, especially #3.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I vote dress 2. The beading around the hips on #1 reminds me of the skirts/scarves belly dancers wear. I also tend to like things that are a bit more simple. 
  • I think dress #1 looks the best on you. It's a beautiful gown and the shape of the dress looks amazing on you.

I don't think the 3rd is very flattering for your figure. #2 flatters you very well, but I'm just not a fan of mermaids because I can't walk in them, so I'm a little biased there.
    Anniversary
  • I love the first dress.

Also, just a note - unless you're buying off the rack, you're probably going to need alterations.  Samples will stretch over time, so definitely make sure they measure you and order according to the size chart!  :)
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think the first one is very pretty and the back is gorgeous but I just have an issue with the sash or embroidery around the hips in the front.  My eye immediately goes to your hips and not to your face or anywhere else for that matter.

The second one gives you a great shape but is a little on the plain side.  But depending on how you accessorize and then adding your brooch bouquet that may be a good thing.

I am not a fan of the third dress.  It really doesn't do much for you.  Straps or no straps I just can't get over the waist line.

• I really like the 2nd, not a fan of the others
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks everyone for the feedback. Clearly #3 wasn't wow-ing anyone (though I still think it's beautiufl; I realize it's not as flattering as the others).
    However, almost a deadlock between 1 and 2. Guess I have more thinking to do! I appreciate everyone's input and opinions!
    Praying for a miracle!
  • tlc35tlc35 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    My favorite is #2.  I like the accent at the waist better that at the hips but go for what you love!
  • Can you try them both on again, maybe when you have your hair done up and dazzling makeup? To kind of get the 'effect'? I think if you give it some thought and try them on again it'll be pretty clear which one is THE one.

I absolutely adore number one, though. Everything about it.
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_help-me-pick-my-dress-please-pip-heavy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:184aada1-a0be-4d70-b642-a49cba6f63afPost:2ba9a5ce-453e-48f1-b6bd-16b38adb2f12">Re: Help me pick my dress, please! (PIP Heavy)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone for the feedback. Clearly #3 wasn't wow-ing anyone (though I still think it's beautiufl; I realize it's not as flattering as the others). However, almost a deadlock between 1 and 2. Guess I have more thinking to do! I appreciate everyone's input and opinions!
    Posted by mandi195[/QUOTE]

Let us know what you choose!

I sent you a PM, BTW :-)

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I LOVE #2!!

That dress looks amazing on you and is simple and elegant :)
    Christie + Chad ~June 8, 2013~
     CPT & mama to 9 kids, one SIL & a grandbaby girl!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_help-me-pick-my-dress-please-pip-heavy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:184aada1-a0be-4d70-b642-a49cba6f63afPost:c8474c50-3b17-4578-915a-ab293178448b">Re: Help me pick my dress, please! (PIP Heavy)</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Can you try them both on again, maybe when you have your hair done up and dazzling makeup? To kind of get the 'effect'?</strong> I think if you give it some thought and try them on again it'll be pretty clear which one is THE one. I absolutely adore number one, though. Everything about it.
    Posted by kmbryant2413[/QUOTE]

This is a really great idea. Maybe do your hair and makeup, how you are thinking of doing them for the wedding.  Try the dresses on again with a veil or headpiece.  Maybe it will help if you see the whole package together.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_help-me-pick-my-dress-please-pip-heavy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:184aada1-a0be-4d70-b642-a49cba6f63afPost:93db719b-a5d4-42af-a0af-69049caf9227">Re: Help me pick my dress, please! (PIP Heavy)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the second one best on you! The first and last one have too much going on next to your tattoos. The second one being more simple actually stands out more and shows off your figure better.
    Posted by samdecoop[/QUOTE]

<div>This!</div><div>
    </div><div>Dress #2 is most flattering and classic. It's simple and chic and doesn't compete with your tattoos. </div>

Anniversary
  • Thank you all so much. I'm going to try to go try them on again in a week or two, when I've had some time to look at them, and this time with make up on and my hair curled (I think it'll be down for the wedding with awesome curls). I'll post pics again then, and I promise to let you all know when I decide! Thanks again! 
    Praying for a miracle!
  • Please take this with the best of iintentions.  I saw your post on the Catholic board too and I know this wasn't an option but to be honest Mandi I would say keep looking.  You deserve something that makes you giddy with happiness and nothing about any of the three is 100% flattering on you.  Some are 75%, others are 50% or 80% but nothing struck me as absolutely divine or "the one".  And I think it's best to be up front with you since that's what you came on here for and that's what I would want.  Most PPs have picked out one or two things they like about each dress but many have also said they don't like this or that about each one.  When you add that all up I think it's pretty clear that there is no clear majority for any and you should look at some other options.  If it's any consolation, I just picked out my dress on Saturday and bought it off the rack as a discontinued sample and saved $3500.  It was definitely a blessing.  Now might be the time to see what's on sale or discontinued.  Best of luck.
  • Can't wait to see more pictures when you try them on again, but I have to say that I absolutely LOVE the first one on you. It's gorgeous, and knowing that you are tall I think it will work beautifully on you. That one is hands down my favourite, it's so different looking and that seems to be something you like since you say the bit around the hips is your favourite part. :) The back with the train is so pretty too! :)
  • Number one is very unique but I feel you pull it off beautifully. Number one is my vote. Not impressed with number 3 and number 2 is ok but 1 is the wow factor. You can tell you feel good in it and that is what matters.
  • I think the 1st dress is most unquie but the embellishments near the hips draw my eye there, which is a strange area to be drawn to but you are very slim so it's not unflattering, just different to see the lower part of the drop waist embellished instead of waist or under the bust.
    The 2nd one feels most bridal to me & body flattering &  I'm a sucker for a great belt.
    The 3rd has a fun essesnce about it but it does remind me a bit of a corset matched with a long tutu, which makes it feel costumey. I think perhaps with a veil or hairpiece,  belt, or something more bridal, it will totally change the look for the better.
    Please take our opinions with a grain of salt, you'll look beautiful in whatever you choose! We are just outsiders, with no insight into your personality & what is truely you but your wedding guests & most importantly, your partner will absolutely understand your dress.
    I think the best advice would be to decide what feeling you want to give off with your dress & wedding overall; romantic, fun, whismcial, funky, etc & then you will know which dress fits you & your wedding best.
    Love the bouquet idea!
  • Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of the honest opinions and insight!
    Praying for a miracle!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards