Attire & Accessories Forum

Groomsmen: Suits or Tuxes?

Our wedding is in early January 2014, and I'm wondering whether to have the groomsmen wear suits or tuxedos? My fiancé will be in his Navy dress blues for the ceremony, and I'm leaving it up to him to decide whether he wants to stay in them for the reception or change into the shirt, pants and maybe tie from a suit he recently received for Christmas. 

It is an afternoon wedding (probably 1:30pm give or take for the ceremony) with a lunch buffet reception; even a sit-down meal with servers is too formal for me. Tuxedos are nice, yes, but I'm not much a fan of the satin look on the lapel, and I'd rather not make the guys (two or three groomsmen altogether) pay a large sum to buy or rent a tux if they'll only wear it once. I'm leaning toward suits because they're a little more casual, which is what I'm going for in the overall "feel" of the wedding. I'm also wondering whether to include vests or just have them wear the shirt, jacket and tie. 

Thanks!!

Re: Groomsmen: Suits or Tuxes?

• CMG is right.  Proper tuxedo etiquette says that tuxes are NOT to be worn in the daytime.  But, I think it's a victimless crime, personally.  My partner wanted to wear a tux, and we got married at 3pm.  BLASPHEMY, I know.   

If they wanted to wear tuxes in the daytime, no one is going to turn into a pillar of salt or anything. But, since you don't really want a more formal affair anyway, I would say have them wear a suit.
    ceclardy14
  • ceclardy14ceclardy14 member
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited April 2013
    Reply to both CMGr and cmgilpin: 

Oh wow, I never even considered that the time of day would be a factor! And the tails are much too formal for me. I was leaning toward suits to make things easier. Are vests required in suits? I've been on the fence about that part. 

I was thinking of giving my maid of honor a silver ribbon to go with whichever navy bridesmaid dresses we pick out, so that she is dressed slightly different than the other two girls. Is it common to do the same for the best man, to give him a silver tie while the other two are in navy? 

Thanks!

PS - CMGr, what kind of flower is the light blue in your photo?
  • In Response to Re:Groomsmen: Suits or Tuxes?:[QUOTE]Reply to both CMGr and cmgilpin:nbsp;Oh wow, I never even considered that the time of day would be a factor! And the tails are much too formal for me. I was leaning toward suits to make things easier. Are vests required in suits? I've been on the fence about that part.nbsp;I was thinking of giving my maid of honor a silver ribbon to go with whichever navy bridesmaid dresses we pick out, so that she is dressed slightly different than the other two girls. Is it common to do the same for the best man, to give him a silver tie while the other two are in navy?nbsp;Thanks!PS CMGr, what kind of flower is the light blue in your photo? Posted by CSkahan148[/QUOTE]

Vests aren't required. Its very much personal preference. If you want your MOH to stand out with a ribbon, you can add a little something to the best man's flower or give him a different color tie. All of this is really up to your fiance and his guys.
  • The flowers CMGr's daughter is carrying look to be hydrangeas, CS.

Our guys all just wore whatever dark-colored suits they already owned, with a light blue shirt. We provided dark blue ties. Only one groomsman didn't already have a suit, and since he graduated high school a month before the wedding, his mom bought him one.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_groomsmen-suits-or-tuxes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:83c21f54-8cba-4a34-9cd1-2a6b22e30a22Post:19a20a32-3b63-4c9b-bf90-509338fda617">Re: Groomsmen: Suits or Tuxes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The flowers CMGr's daughter is carrying look to be hydrangeas, CS. Our guys all just wore whatever dark-colored suits they already owned, with a light blue shirt. We provided dark blue ties. Only one groomsman didn't already have a suit, and since he graduated high school a month before the wedding, his mom bought him one.
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

<div>That's what I thought they were... Yes that is exactly what I was thinking of doing for suits the guys already own. And they'll probably be in the same solid or subtle-pattern for ties. With my fiancé in the military I might ask him what he thinks for having his brother (who is best man) in a different tie. I really like the different flower idea; it's subtle.</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_groomsmen-suits-or-tuxes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:83c21f54-8cba-4a34-9cd1-2a6b22e30a22Post:5f6d24e9-9424-42a7-99ae-a4df7459fa30">Re: Groomsmen: Suits or Tuxes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]One word of caution about the hydrangeas - they need a lot of water or they will wilt quickly.  We had ours soaking in water until just before the wedding.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

We used white hydrangeas, and we had to do the same thing.  The florist soaked them all night the night before (upside down, so the actual petals were in the water also) and we had them in water until right before I walked down the aisle.

They will wilt quickly if in direct sunlight also.
  • Thank you! 

My maid of honor found her dress and shoes today; her dress is a royal blue while the other two bridesmaids will be in the navy. We talked to the best man, and he will be wearing a black pinstripe suit with a solid-color tie to match her. I love the sound of it, and I trust both of their judgments! :)
  • The groomsmen in our wedding are going to be wearing grey Calvin Klein from mens warehouse http://tuxedo.menswearhouse.com/preStyledLookDetail.do?style=all&id=15&order=2&occasion=wedding
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I say suit. You can dress up the suit a bit with a flashy vest & tie if need be.
    ceclardy14
  • Suits it is!! I'll probably just make sure my dad has a really nice suit, and if the guys have black suits already I'll have them use those; if they don't (I know my brother has the pants but not the jacket) it shouldn't be a big deal to go to Macy's or JC Penney's for their suits, or even Nordstrom. Definitely going with a subtle pattern for the two navy ties, if I find the right one. 

Thanks for your help everyone :):)
  • The degree of formality determines the choice of whether it should be a suit or tux - not the time of day. One doesn't wear tails during the day, but there are less-than-ultra-formal options out there for gentlemen to wear.

Go with what you like! It's your event.

ceclardy14
  • ceclardy14ceclardy14 member
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited September 2013
    As an update: My fiancé is taking care of the suits; his idea, which I love the sound of, is a navy blue shirt with either a silver or pewter (leaning toward pewter) tie, and the regular black suit. I believe he is leaning toward pewter. My fiancé has told me it's up to my dad and me for whether to have him be in the same as the two groomsmen, but I'm thinking possibly a white shirt with a navy tie, or (if they make them) a silver/grey shirt with navy tie, to sort of be opposite of the guys' shirts and ties. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards