Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How do I present the sweets!?!

I was wondering if you have any advice on how to present/display a sweets table. The table will consist of a donut tower cake (in lieu of a traditional cake) plus various platters of lemon bars, brownie bites, cheese cake bites, chocolate covered strawberries and petite fours. (Each type of dessert would have its own platter, they won’t be mixed) 

My issue is - do I hold off setting up the sweets table until dessert? Or can I set out the donut tower as a display and then bring out the additional trays at dessert time?  

My main concerns: people may help themselves during cocktail hour? Will the desserts get stale if uncovered and sitting out for a few hours? 

If anyone has managed a sweets table and / or a donut tower… please pass along any advise! 

Our timeline:  
3:00pm                 Ceremony
3:45pm                 Receiving line
4:00pm                 Cocktail hour
5:00pm                 Newlyweds' Arrival/First Dance
5:15pm                 Cheers & Toasts
5:30pm                 Dinner
7pm                      Dancing
7:30pm                 Dessert / Coffee
10:00pm               Last Dance  

Thanks!
Beth

Re: How do I present the sweets!?!

• I would have the donut tower out the whole time (I don't think anyone would touch it) and then have the other desserts brought out later.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_how-do-i-present-the-sweets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:037e437f-f1ce-49b9-ad69-53218acf284dPost:224f6a65-ca94-4843-bdce-5f85f44f94b3">How do I present the sweets!?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was wondering if you have any advice on how to present/display a sweets table.   The table will consist of a donut tower cake (in lieu of a traditional cake) plus various platters of lemon bars, brownie bites, cheese cake bites, chocolate covered strawberries and petite fours. (Each type of dessert would have its own platter, they won’t be mixed)   My issue is - do I hold off setting up the sweets table until dessert? Or can I set out the donut tower as a display and then bring out the additional trays at dessert time?    My main concerns: people may help themselves during cocktail hour? Will the desserts get stale if uncovered and sitting out for a few hours?   If anyone has managed a sweets table and / or a donut tower… please pass along any advise!   Our timeline:     3:00pm                  Ceremony 3:45pm                  Receiving line 4:00pm                  Cocktail hour 5:00pm                  Newlyweds' Arrival/First Dance 5:15pm                  Cheers & Toasts 5:30pm                  Dinner 7pm                        Dancing 7:30pm                  Dessert / Coffee 10:00pm                Last Dance     Thanks! Beth
    Posted by mrsgarofalo[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't think the desserts getting stale would be an issue, but you may have a valid concern with people eating the items during the cocktail hour if it is in the same space.  If your location has staff that can help I would hold off setting up the dessert table until everyone is seated for dinner.</div>
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • i would hold off on desert table till desert time you dont want guest going after pastrys. and if you have young kids at the wedding then will navagate there first before the regular food. ii do candy buffets and those get set up and hr before the wedding, and then taken down an hr after the wedding. with deserts they will parish faster so if you have anything thats milk or butter based i would wait 
  •  Thank you all so much. I don’t know about you, but sometimes just “talking through” ideas is such a huge help! I will plan to have the cake tower set up during the ceremony and on display until dessert. I will have it decorated with pinwheels (our décor), so I am hoping no one will help themselves. Then I will ask the cater to bring out the additional sweet trays during dinner. Thanks again, truly!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards