Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How much food is needed for a cocktail reception??

We're planning on having a 5 hour cocktail reception (foregoing the tradtional sit down dinner in favor of heavy hors d'ouevres and food stations); but I have no idea how much food I should plan on? Anyone out there done this or is planning on it, PLEASE help! ; )

Some of the venues budget for 'per-piece' (e.g., 5-8 bites per guest) while others offer a standard price for a food item (e.g., sliders) per hour per guest. Any and all advice is most welcome - how many bites should I budget for? Or, how many hours and how many offerings (e.g., 5-6 different hors d'ouevres for two or three hours)? Also, for food stations, how many should I offer??

Many thanks in advance!! (Sorry for the long-winded request!) ; )

Re: How much food is needed for a cocktail reception??

• If you are going to have a 5 hours reception you should have enough food for a meal.  That would be 17-21 pieces of food per guest.

The more variety the better.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We're doing this sort of reception.  Here is our menu. I can't tell you how many pieces of each menu item we are being provided, as our caterer has sorted all this out. 

Cocktail Hour:  Displayed Buffet Appetizers -

1. assorted cheeses, crackers, breads, olives, herbed-garlic olive oil dip
    2. sliced plums, peaches, apricots, nectarine, kiwi, and assorted berries
    3. votive cups with boursin dip and slivers of red pepper, artichoke hearts, and baby carrots

Cocktail Hour:  Passed, Butlered Appetizers -

1. caprese skewers (buffalo mozarella, heirloom tomato, fresh basil, balsamic reduction, on bamboo skewers)
    2. deviled eggs
    3. demitasse of cream of asparagus soup garnished with grilled asparagus
    4. rosemary lemon chickpea fritters wih chili pepper-blood orange glaze
    5. asian spoons of mac-n-cheese with a ribbon of white truffle oil
    6. goat cheese tartlets topped with morello cherry preserves

Dinner (3 small plates 'tapas' chef-manned stations):

Station 1 - Chicken/Pasta/Duck
    1. chicken and black bean fried eggrolls with avacado,tomato, grilled corn salad
    2. chicken picatta in ramekins
    3. jamaican jerk chicken skewers with cilantro-lime dipping sauce
    4. duck wellington
    5. freshly made cheese tortellini with pesto-alfredo sauce
    6. thai style tea-smoked chicken and ginger lettuce wraps

Station 2- Beef, Pork, Lamb
    1. steak au poive on crustini with horseradish sauce
    2. lamb meatballs seasoned moroccan style with yogurt-cucumber sauce
    3. chorizo, baby pea, potato empanadas with tomatillo jam
    4. ham, honey crisp apple, arugula flat bread pizza with garlic & greyere cheese

Station 3- Fish, Seafood
    1. coconut shrimp with pineapple-rum dipping sauce
    2. crab cakes with remoulade
    3. salmon en crute (puff pastry, diced chive, lavender, honey, and dijon mustard with fresh salmon)
    4. bacon wrapped scallops with buerre blanc sauce

Dessert:
    4 types of ice cream, 10 toppings - Sundae Bar
    6 types of weding cake Buffet

So, our guests will have a huge variety, and because of the allergies and other issues, this was what we felt was best for them in terms of providing an amazing meal that EVERYONE can enjoy...

note - we have dozens of allergies and food issues
  • Ella and Pedro, I know my invitation must have just gotten lost in the mail, but I wanted to let you know FI and I will bother be there!  Thanks and the food sounds great :-P

OP, these are all questions your caterer should be able to answer for you.

I don't know how mush help my story will be, but we are having a similar reception style and while we don't have anything set in stone yet, after talking with the venue's head chef we have the following tentativley planned for 200 guests (our highest estimate and max for venue):

5-7 hand passed and stationary apps during cocktail hour and an antipasta station.

3 food stations during dinner and continuing hand passed apps- we are thinking a meat carving station (with beef, chicken, and a fish), veggies and potato side on meat station, a pasta station, and the antipasta station

2-3 bars with beer (5 varieties), wine (2 white, 3 red), and a signature drink for 5.5hrs.

Dessert will be our wedding cake and our cookie table, which beyond whatever cookies my fam and friends offer to make will include cupcakes and cake-pops, possibly some home-made chocolates.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_how-much-food-is-needed-for-a-cocktail-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:438687f8-1191-4c21-a670-56cf7f725074Post:286da90b-2e16-4c58-a4f5-365129f5489b">Re: How much food is needed for a cocktail reception??</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're doing this sort of reception.  Here is our menu. I can't tell you how many pieces of each menu item we are being provided, as our caterer has sorted all this out.  Cocktail Hour:  Displayed Buffet Appetizers - 1. assorted cheeses, crackers, breads, olives, herbed-garlic olive oil dip 2. sliced plums, peaches, apricots, nectarine, kiwi, and assorted berries 3. votive cups with boursin dip and slivers of red pepper, artichoke hearts, and baby carrots Cocktail Hour:  Passed, Butlered Appetizers - 1. caprese skewers (buffalo mozarella, heirloom tomato, fresh basil, balsamic reduction, on bamboo skewers) 2. deviled eggs 3. demitasse of cream of asparagus soup garnished with grilled asparagus 4. rosemary lemon chickpea fritters wih chili pepper-blood orange glaze 5. asian spoons of mac-n-cheese with a ribbon of white truffle oil 6. goat cheese tartlets topped with morello cherry preserves Dinner (3 small plates 'tapas' chef-manned stations): Station 1 - Chicken/Pasta/Duck 1. chicken and black bean fried eggrolls with avacado,tomato, grilled corn salad 2. chicken picatta in ramekins 3. jamaican jerk chicken skewers with cilantro-lime dipping sauce 4. duck wellington 5. freshly made cheese tortellini with pesto-alfredo sauce 6. thai style tea-smoked chicken and ginger lettuce wraps Station 2- Beef, Pork, Lamb 1. steak au poive on crustini with horseradish sauce 2. lamb meatballs seasoned moroccan style with yogurt-cucumber sauce 3. chorizo, baby pea, potato empanadas with tomatillo jam 4. ham, honey crisp apple, arugula flat bread pizza with garlic & greyere cheese Station 3- Fish, Seafood 1. coconut shrimp with pineapple-rum dipping sauce 2. crab cakes with remoulade 3. salmon en crute (puff pastry, diced chive, lavender, honey, and dijon mustard with fresh salmon) 4. bacon wrapped scallops with buerre blanc sauce Dessert: 4 types of ice cream, 10 toppings - Sundae Bar 6 types of weding cake Buffet So, our guests will have a huge variety, and because of the allergies and other issues, this was what we felt was best for them in terms of providing an amazing meal that EVERYONE can enjoy... note - we have dozens of allergies and food issues
    Posted by Ella and Pedro[/QUOTE]

WOW that sounds amazing
  • Ella, that sounds absolutely amazing!  I want an invite too!!!

We're doing stations.  They're not all "small plates", but it's more of a grazing idea instead of a sit down dinner.  Our caterer also has it all handled as far as amount of food- I didn't talk to any caterers who need a count of pieces from us- they know how much food per person.

Cocktail hour passed:
    crab cakes with horseradish cream
    goat cheese stuffed figs with pistachio and lavender honey
    grilled cheese and tomato bisque shooters
    arancini with red pepper and garlic mayo
    scallop spoon with black bean relish
    ahi tuna wonton wtih pickled ginger and wasabi creme

Cocktail hour stationary:
    Sushi station- 8 choices of sushi and maki
    Mashed potato bar

Dinner
    Station 1
    New England clam chowder
    Boston bibb salad

Station 2
    Pasta station- angel hair with pesto; cavatappi with plum tomatoes, basic, garlic, and mushrooms; butternut squash ravioli
    gluten free pasta will be available as well

Station 3
    Lamb carving station with basmati rice and an Indian Okra dish

Station 4
    Sea Bass with miso mustard sauce with sweet pea risotto, carrots and bok choy.

Everything is served wtih an assortment of bread and rolls.

Dessert
    Wedding cake
    Cherries Jubilee with a choice of ice cream
    flaming coffee drinks

OP, I think it's about variety.  Obviously you also need to be confident that your caterer will provide enough of each thing as well.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_how-much-food-is-needed-for-a-cocktail-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:438687f8-1191-4c21-a670-56cf7f725074Post:2790368a-b5df-4809-9d4a-6a1afbc1f336">Re: How much food is needed for a cocktail reception??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ella, that sounds absolutely amazing!  I want an invite too!!! We're doing stations.  They're not all "small plates", but it's more of a grazing idea instead of a sit down dinner.  Our caterer also has it all handled as far as amount of food- I didn't talk to any caterers who need a count of pieces from us- they know how much food per person. Cocktail hour passed: crab cakes with horseradish cream grilled cheese and tomato bisque shooters arancini with red pepper and garlic mayo scallop spoon with black bean relish ahi tuna wonton wtih pickled ginger and wasabi creme Cocktail hour stationary: Sushi station- 8 choices of sushi and maki Mashed potato bar Dinner Station 1 New England clam chowder Boston bibb salad Station 2 Pasta station- angel hair with pesto; cavatappi with plum tomatoes, basic, garlic, and mushrooms; butternut squash ravioli gluten free pasta will be available as well Station 3  and an Indian Okra dish Station 4 . Everything is served wtih an assortment of bread and rolls. Dessert Wedding cake  with a choice of ice cream flaming coffee drinks OP, I think it's about variety.  Obviously you also need to be confident that your caterer will provide enough of each thing as well.
    Posted by melb2013[/QUOTE]

WOW back at cha!  That sounds amazing too!

I pulled out these that I was especially wanting to eat RIGHT NOW:
    <strong>goat cheese stuffed figs with pistachio and lavender honey</strong>
    <strong>Lamb carving station with basmati rice
    </strong>Cherries Jubilee
    Boston Bibb Lettuce Salad
    <strong>Sea Bass with miso mustard sauce with sweet pea risotto, carrots and bok choy

I LOVE goat cheese stuff....stuff with lavender....really good rice....and roast lamb

MMMMM

Nice choices - everyone will LOVE it!</strong>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_how-much-food-is-needed-for-a-cocktail-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:438687f8-1191-4c21-a670-56cf7f725074Post:53fd028b-a53f-4b20-ac10-aba20535781e">Re: How much food is needed for a cocktail reception??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ella and Pedro, I know my invitation must have just gotten lost in the mail, but I wanted to let you know FI and I will bother be there!  Thanks and the food sounds great :-P OP, these are all questions your caterer should be able to answer for you. I don't know how mush help my story will be, but we are having a similar reception style and while we don't have anything set in stone yet, after talking with the venue's head chef we have the following tentativley planned for 200 guests (our highest estimate and max for venue): 5-7 hand passed and stationary apps during cocktail hour and an antipasta station. 3 food stations during dinner and continuing hand passed apps- we are thinking a meat carving station (with beef, chicken, and a fish), veggies and potato side on meat station, a pasta station, and the antipasta station 2-3 bars with beer (5 varieties), wine (2 white, 3 red), and a signature drink for 5.5hrs. Dessert will be our wedding cake and our cookie table, which beyond whatever cookies my fam and friends offer to make will include cupcakes and cake-pops, possibly some home-made chocolates.
    Posted by cmsciulli[/QUOTE]

Lemon Squares?  Pecan Pie?  Chocolate Mint Brownies? (I just ordered a chicken sandwich, and haven't eaten all day, I am super hungry, but this is what I think of when I see 'dessert table.'

We're doing a four martini signature bar menu:

White Chocolate Mint
    Blood Orange Mango
    Triple Dirty Triple Olive
    &
    Vanilla Honey Lavender

as well as a full open bar

as well as for the toast a choice of brut champagne, peach-raspberry flavored moscato, and a pear-lemon-herbal flavored sparkling prosecco.

(I imagine the OP is now overflowing with ideas!)

Your menu sounds great and I KNOW your guests will LOVE IT!
  • Where are you hosting your reception?
  • Not really sure, but since this is the food's "first appearance" people are going to be starving!!! 
  • Not really sure, but since this is the food's "first appearance" people are going to be starving!!! 
    What?

• We are doing the same kind of reception for about 200 people. This is what we have planned:

Beer and signature drinks (one "girly" one and a whiskey one as well)

Passed appitizers: 1. tomato and basil crostini 2.chicken cordon blue with pit ham and blue cheese sauce 3. ancho chicken and jack cheese quesidillas with salsa verde

Three main stations:

Mac N' Cheese station with 1. White cheese man with spinach and artichokes 2. Smoked pork, green chili and Ceddar and 3. Buffalo chicken with jack and blue cheese

Slider station with 1. prime rib with smoked ceddar, caramelized onions and bbq sauce 2. breaded chicken parmesan with marinara 3. Sirloin meatload with crispy onions and wild mushroom gravy

Mashed potato bar with 1. lobster mashed potatoes 2.yukon gold potatoes and braised short ribs with a cabernet reduction 3. Sweet mashed potatoes with cinnamon, brown sugar and candied pecans

Dessert will be our wedding cake

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards