Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

No cake displayed but still serving it

The things that are more important to me is the venue, food/alcohol, photographer and DJ.  Everything else I am cutting back on or it is a DIY project.  The cake is kind of an after thought for me so I have been thinking about no displaying a cake at all and no cutting of the cake but still serving sheet cake "behind the scenes" so people can still have a choice of a cake if they want with the other deserts the venue is catering... Is this okay?  Do we have to cut the cake?  I am not really a look at me kind of bride and really don't care if I have a picture of us cutting a cake or not.  I know some people have a small display cake or fake cake displayed and I could make one from fabric but you can't cut it anyway so why bother with one at all? 

Also I have had a few people (who recently went to or had a wedding) tell me not to worry about favors since people usually throw them out or forget them.  Would it be okay if I put a candy dish with a small spoon on each of the tables so they can munch on it during the night?  They would just be purple and white candies to match my colors...

Re: No cake displayed but still serving it

• Options
    I'm not doing a display cake either. My cake is from a food distributor and will be served from the back. We may get chocolate covered strawberries or something too, but we haven't decided yet. You can definitely put out candy - that's a really popular "favor." I haven't seen it personally, but I think a fair few of the ladies on this board have. But favors usually aren't the highlight of the wedding, so feel free to skip them.
  • Options
    You definitely don't need to do favours, and if displaying a cake isn't important to you, don't bother with that, either! Having pieces of cake put out with the rest of the dessert is totally fine.
  • Options
    Thank you all.  He keeps saying do what you want just tell me when and where but at the same time I think he is kind of nervous about doing something different than what most people do.  Truth be told the last 2 wedding I went to I can't tell you for sure whether they cut the cake or not (I was there the whole time but I don't remember it although the one had a cupcake tree thing instead).
  • Options
    get a single layer 6 inch cake or individual cake from the store have them put some weddngish decorations on it and have that as the display cake

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards