Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Outrageous bar numbers

I used the knot's bar calculator and the numbers it spit out seem insane. 

A 6 hour reception, 135 guests, serving beer, wine, liquor= 95 bottles of wine, 473 beer and 24 bottles of liquor.  

That seems a little high, especially when I used my reception's prices to calculate a total.  It came to over $14,000.  Arguably I live in Vancouver, and prices are high, but that's just ridiculous.  

I tried out some other calculators online, but the numbers are so much lower.  How much does the average person drink?  How should I calculate this? 

Thanks knotties!

Re: Outrageous bar numbers

• In my experience guests will average person will 2 drinks each of the first 1-2 hours and then 1-1.5 per hour there after.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Sounds right to me although a 6 hour reception seems a bit long.
  • Thanks guys! The venue coordinator also suggested 6-7 drinks per person. It's a little scary because you have no way of knowing how many people will drink like fish.
  • KimandByronKimandByron member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2013

We are doing a Moscato wine at 8.99 a bottle but we don't have alot of wine drinkers so we will probably go with 10  (probably mispelled), two different types of beer (probably keg because our bar service told me that's the cheapest way to go, you get 170 beers from a 1/2 keg at $150 each) then our signature drink is Strawberry Daquiri. If you limit your bar menu to a few choices and not make it a completely open bar you will save money. It is scary when you really don't know how much some will drink but if you follow the numbers the other ladies have given you should be ok. We have a cap on our bar budget and our bar service knows what that is.

• We are doing a Moscato wine at 8.99 a bottle but we don't have alot of wine drinkers so we will probably go with 10  (probably mispelled), two different types of beer (probably keg because our bar service told me that's the cheapest way to go, you get 170 beers from a 1/2 keg at $150 each) then our signature drink is Strawberry Daquiri. If you limit your bar menu to a few choices and not make it a completely open bar you will save money. It is scary when you really don't know how much some will drink but if you follow the numbers the other ladies have given you should be ok. We have a cap on our bar budget and our bar service knows what that is.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards