Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

"Cake and Punch"....and The Problem With Sugar

Among the tenets on the forums, one I note quite frequently when people are trying to cut costs for their reception, is a go-to suggestion of having “cake and punch”. If you search it in the forums, the phrase comes up probably hundreds of times. Then I think about my own FI and, if he were going to a reception that had nothing but this, they may as well provide nothing at all. He just really avoids the stuff. Same goes for anyone who’s Paleo, Primal, Zone- or diabetic.

My FI is rather anti-sugar (with the exception of fruits, and even then, in moderation). Here are some links that support that idea:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/27/its-the-sugar-folks/

http://www.marieclaire.com/health-fitness/sugar-effects

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_addiction

For a sugar addict with metabolic syndrome where everything’s thrown outta whack, the second that sugar hits their tongue, just like an alcoholic, it is really, really, hard to stop at “just one small piece” like other people can (and not everyone gets this- reminds me of Louis CK’s hilarious “Just have the donut” bit).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eUbnkVFQuE

There may be no “moderation” in this case. One portion starts the battle all over again. So some just swear it off.

I know there are many, many dietary issues out there that can crop up- dairy, gluten, peanuts, shellfish, vegan, etc.- at a reception. But when it comes to sugar, it seems that it’s a “demon” for more people than the aforementioned, and I’m getting the sense that a larger part of the population is literally addicted to it (and artificial sweeteners are no better) than we really are aware of. I don’t know if that’s brain chemistry or because it’s so, so cheap (because it’s government subsidized) and therefore widely available that we get stuck in a cycle of overconsumption. I know when I try to curb it, it feels like withdrawal- the cravings are just insane when I first start abstaining and take time to taper. There is a lot of talk about how the stuff is borderline toxic and should actually be regulated like tobacco and alcohol. The proposed NYC soda ban- who would’ve imagined that ten years ago?

Don’t get me wrong, for better or for worse, I personally am not ready to give up wedding cake altogether. Not because I think that’s a good choice, but ‘cause I’m a sucker for it. But I wonder what other creative solutions might crop up as an alternative to “cake and punch”. That there is like a diabetic/sugar addict’s worst enemy. Diabetes is a real problem in this country. Even some kids have it.

We always say that even at a pig roast you should have a vegetarian option- and I think as the dialogue over sugar continues, we could easily see more people avoiding added sugar for health reasons than there are people avoiding meat. Already in the UK, I’m seeing wedding cakes being passed over in favor of stacked “wedding cheese” wheels (google it- they’re gorgeous).

I wonder if there might be a shift to a setup of fruit, vegetables, and cheese instead of the cake, and fresh-squeezed lemon sparkling water instead of the punch. Or at least have those things as options. It probably increases costs- esp. in low-income neighborhoods, a grocery store cake is cheaper than cheese and fresh, presentable produce to feed the same amount of people- but if more and more start eschewing sugar, until healthier stuff is subsidized, what can you do?

Granted, FI runs with a lot of Paleo people who have pretty much rejected sugar (and I think some actually don’t feel too good after consuming an average portion of it, having largely abstained for so long), but if we only put out “cake and punch”, it would be similar to serving just a pasta dinner when a good chunk of people have sworn off gluten due to its side effects.

It may all sound exaggerated but, if you read the articles, the parallels between added sugar and opiates are kind of astounding.

As we learn more about nutrition and the divide grows wider between those who partake in and those who avoid sugar and gluten (another growing point of contention)- basically right now, two cheap staples in the American diet- if you couldn’t afford the variety of choices necessary to accommodate your guests…what’s the lesser of two evils? The reviled (on these boards, anyway) pot luck, so everyone has something to put in their mouths, or  putting out the inexpensive “cake and punch", though your non-added-sugar-eating guests (and I think as awareness increases, the numbers are going to increase on that)will  basically have nothing to consume that won't potentially make them feel ill later?

Do you think added sugar consumption will just never die out, even if it’s proven to be linked to illness, because it’s just too darn tasty and engrained in our culture? Or do you think that foods lacking any nutritional value (that a bite of could send some folks down the slippery slope like a drug does) will slide towards being taboo like tobacco sort of is (or at least, less culturally relevant) and if so, what will old party staples get replaced with?

Re: "Cake and Punch"....and The Problem With Sugar

• Most times when I see cake and punch suggestions I've also suggest something non-sweet like veggies, fruits or something like that for non-sugar eating guests.     I also suggest water and not only punch.

As avoiding-all-kinds-of-sugars becomes more mainstream people will start adjusting their menus accordingly.  Same thing happen when vegetarians, vegans, nut-free and gluten-free  became mainstream.  

It might take a little longer with cake and punch weddings.  They only last an hour or two and not during meal times.  People might be disappointed, but no one should starve because cake was the only option.  I think you will see less of a pushing for change compared to gluten or nut-free options.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I had never heard of a cake and punch reception before the knot.  I don't know if they're done around here to be honest.  I've been to 20+ weddings.  Regardless, I would encourage someone doing this to have some fruits/veggies as well as cake.
  • Mrs G, I had heard of them, just never attend one.   We are the large party, full meal, dancing kind-of crowd.

They seem to be more popular in the south and mid-west. Our TN friends had only ever attended C&P weddings before moving to DE.  They said it was popular with their Southern Baptist church crowd.  They also seem to be popular with religious groups that do not drink or dance.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm having a hard time composing a response just because I feel like there are so many things I want to say. I feel like you are addressing 2 separate (though admittedly somewhat connected) arguments. One is an actual sugar addiction and the other is not eating added sugar for health, not linked to an addiction.

In regards to the sugar addition: I have seen it said in posts that you can't control your guests' response to alcohol if they are an alcoholic. You can choose to have a dry wedding or you can trust your guest to get out of the situation if it makes them uncomfortable. I would say the same to a poster that asked for advice if they had a guest with a sugar addiction. It is a know your guest situation.

Almost every time I have seen a cake and punch reception referenced, people add that you can serve veggies or cheese and crackers. And I know that whenever I say punch, I say "punch/lemonade/whatever." No one is saying to only serve punch with no other option. Its a just a phrase that points to a type of reception. A type of reception that only lasts an hour or 2. If you know that you are going to starve during that amount of time and you don't know what type of food there is, bring a snack. I am an extremely picky eater so I always carry a snack with me.

Personally, I don't think that added sugar is going to ever die out, even if it is linked to illness. You mentioned tobacco and that it is somewhat taboo. People know that tobacco makes them sick and they still use it. I think that the issue is moderation. Judge me all you'd like because when I have a party (birthday or wedding) there will be cake(and yes generally there will be cheese and crackers too). That doesn't mean that is how I eat everyday.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-and-punchand-the-problem-with-sugar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:e2ba0197-01d8-4c8e-9c63-84b6cb487311Post:223b5205-fbbd-4e12-8e81-235487b0ac66">Re: "Cake and Punch"....and The Problem With Sugar</a>:
    [QUOTE]Most times when I see cake and punch suggestions I've also suggest something non-sweet like veggies, fruits or something like that for non-sugar eating guests.     I also suggest water and not only punch. As avoiding-all-kinds-of-sugars becomes more mainstream people will start adjusting their menus accordingly.  Same thing happen when vegetarians, vegans, nut-free and gluten-free  became mainstream.   It might take a little longer with cake and punch weddings.  They only last an hour or two and not during meal times.  People might be disappointed, but no one should starve because cake was the only option.  I think you will see less of a pushing for change compared to gluten or nut-free options.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

I think that's a good suggestion you make re: adding fruits/veggies. I just wonder why everyone doesn't make that suggestion- perhaps because of cost (I know that in some areas, fresh produce costs more than sugary bread)? And yet, given the whole point of the cake/punch is "hosting", which is ostensibly to give people something to eat and drink (even if they aren't necessarily feeling hunger pains), if major papers like NYT keep reporting on studies that link added sugar to so many diseases- and that we are <em>all</em> susceptible, unlike an allergy- I was thinking that the gesture might start to alienate more and more guests who choose to cut sugar (esp. if at risk for diabetes), negating the whole point of the refreshments served. And we can't really blame them for making that choice. 

I get to wondering if the tradition of wedding cake will become merely symbolic in a decade, whereby other foods cobbled together to<em> </em>give the<em> look</em> of wedding cake will become more popular than the real deal...I love a twist on tradition, but to see wedding cakes go completely, I have to admit, that would make me kinda sad. Yet maybe that's my sugar addiction talking ;)

Interesting about the nuts- I thought it was a fringe thing. I know about the phytic acid, but as far as a condition that would make them impossible to eat (an allergy), I wasn't aware it was that prevalent.

I get it with the gluten- I do know people who flat out cannot have it, and have been reading a lot that while many others may not be blatantly intolerant, still more sensitive than we realize and experiencing the inflammatory side effects.

As awareness grows in what works for one nutritionally, it'll be interesting to see  if our current "have a vegetarian option" in fact expands to other arenas, and which ones, and how it will all be managed on a tight budget.

Thanks for adding to this.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-and-punchand-the-problem-with-sugar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:e2ba0197-01d8-4c8e-9c63-84b6cb487311Post:fc46e8c9-5b15-4f80-80b8-8a091bb1134f">Re: "Cake and Punch"....and The Problem With Sugar</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Cake and Punch"....and The Problem With Sugar : I think that's a good suggestion you make re: adding fruits/veggies. I just wonder why everyone doesn't make that suggestion- perhaps because of cost (I know that in some areas, fresh produce costs more than sugary bread)? And yet, given the whole point of the cake/punch is "hosting", which is ostensibly to give people something to eat and drink (even if they aren't necessarily feeling hunger pains), if major papers like NYT keep reporting on studies that link added sugar to so many diseases- and that we are all susceptible, unlike an allergy- I was thinking that the gesture might start to alienate more and more guests who choose to cut sugar (esp. if at risk for diabetes), negating the whole point of the refreshments served. And we can't really blame them for making that choice.  I get to wondering if the tradition of wedding cake will become merely symbolic in a decade, whereby other foods cobbled together to give the look of wedding cake will become more popular than the real deal...I love a twist on tradition, but to see wedding cakes go completely, I have to admit, that would make me kinda sad. Yet maybe that's my sugar addiction talking ;) Interesting about the <strong>nuts- I thought it was a fringe thing. I know about the phytic acid, but as far as a condition that would make them impossible to eat (an allergy), I wasn't aware it was that prevalent.</strong> I get it with the gluten- I do know people who flat out cannot have it, and have been reading a lot that while many others may not be blatantly intolerant, still more sensitive than we realize and experiencing the inflammatory side effects. As awareness grows in what works for one nutritionally, it'll be interesting to see  if our current "have a vegetarian option" in fact expands to other arenas, and which ones, and how it will all be managed on a tight budget. Thanks for adding to this.
    Posted by positivek[/QUOTE]

Nut allergies are extremely prevalent. There are even a few schools in my area that have banned peanut butter and jelly sandwiches since a few of the kids are super allergic to nuts. H is allergic to tree nuts so we have to watch it when we got to certain restaurants, especially since he has a problem with some cream based items as well.

I think there are quite a few people who manage the different options for health/dietary needs quite well on a budget. We had 2 vegetarians, a vegan, and a celiac at our wedding. Was it challenging? Yes, but it can be done. I asked my guests with those restrictions questions if I wasn't sure about something. I think that is the best way to go. Plus it opens a dialogue about things that you may not have known before.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-and-punchand-the-problem-with-sugar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:e2ba0197-01d8-4c8e-9c63-84b6cb487311Post:f5eebace-facb-4648-a633-90a390f77b48">Re: "Cake and Punch"....and The Problem With Sugar</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm having a hard time composing a response just because I feel like there are so many things I want to say. I feel like you are addressing 2 separate (though admittedly somewhat connected) arguments. One is an actual sugar addiction and the other is not eating added sugar for health, not linked to an addiction. In regards to the sugar addition: I have seen it said in posts that you can't control your guests' response to alcohol if they are an alcoholic. You can choose to have a dry wedding or you can trust your guest to get out of the situation if it makes them uncomfortable. I would say the same to a poster that asked for advice if they had a guest with a sugar addiction. It is a know your guest situation. Almost every time I have seen a cake and punch reception referenced, people add that you can serve veggies or cheese and crackers. And I know that whenever I say punch, I say "punch/lemonade/whatever." No one is saying to only serve punch with no other option. Its a just a phrase that points to a type of reception. A type of reception that only lasts an hour or 2. If you know that you are going to starve during that amount of time and you don't know what type of food there is, bring a snack. I am an extremely picky eater so I always carry a snack with me. Personally, I don't think that added sugar is going to ever die out, even if it is linked to illness. You mentioned tobacco and that it is somewhat taboo. People know that tobacco makes them sick and they still use it. I think that the issue is moderation. Judge me all you'd like because when I have a party (birthday or wedding) there will be cake(and yes generally there will be cheese and crackers too). That doesn't mean that is how I eat everyday.
    Posted by staar987[/QUOTE]

The thing about the alcohol is there is for sure other options. But I was getting the impression that "cake and punch" was exactly that...I guess in the posts I've read, I don't see much said about those other snacks...I was seeing essentially liquid sugar and sugar bread suggested again and again without mention of those alternatives to balance it out. Given the increasing diabetes diagnosis rate and obesity epidemic it was disconcerting to think an entire reception would be comprised of literally cake and punch. I mean, <em>I'm</em> not ready to give up the stuff just yet (in an ideal world I would), but people who are trailblazers/better people than me (or are in more dire straits than me) are totally rejecting it which is amazing, and I wouldn't want to disrespect that esp. when I see that added sugar, unlike some other stuff, has the potential to make anybody sick when overconsumed- humans are just not designed to process as much as is available. Even me, I'll hold off a lot more on the sweet stuff, <em>if</em> there's something else available (it not, forget it).

If theoretically my choices led to a significant portion of my guests to bring BYOF and packing snacks, that would look to me like..a pot luck...but you only bring for yourselves...I don't know. That would be weird. I know we're a long way off to a point where that many people swear off sugar (if it ever happens), but it's interesting to think what would happen if theoretically it went the way of tobacco (still being used, but not by the majority).

I'm glad for your clarification that it's about how the reception is timed in terms of time and day and length- not necessarily what's served. The "cake and punch" designation can be misleading as to what it is. I do wish for clarity's sake it had a more, um, "responsible" name, and one that focused more on the logistics :)
  • I think you are taking  into the term "cake and punch" to literal.  It started out as people getting married in a church then greeting their guests either in the basement, outside or in the church hall.  Guests would say their congrats, maybe eat a slice of cake and then be on their way.  They generally did not last very long.

As time went by some people started having elaborate weddings, the simpler weddings like above started to become "cake and punch" weddings.   That does not mean you are forced to only serve cake. It just means its not over meal time, and generally only lasting and hour or 2.  

As far as cake itself.  If you think about it, when people celebrate a birthday or any celebration , they do not generally serve a slab of beef or a plate of veggies. They tend to serve cake because it's been a long standing traditional food to serve.  

I really do not see that changing anytime soon. 

• positivekpositivek member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2013
    The nature of it is clearer now from PP's; I think the confusion came from literally reading the word "have" or "serve" in front of "cake and punch" when I'd see it suggested on boards...makes me wonder if other people are as unclear on the term as I was...and as it would be logical to conclude that the foods stated are the ones served; and because I only hear it come up in the context of a tight budget, I was led to believe it was in fact all that is served, because sugar and wheat are cheaper unfortunately than fresh produce, dairy or meat. Bday beef...that gives me a laugh, knowing how some communities like the increasingly popular Paleo are as fanatical about their meat as mainstream people are about their desserts. If I saw a "meat cake", it might not surprise me too much.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-and-punchand-the-problem-with-sugar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:e2ba0197-01d8-4c8e-9c63-84b6cb487311Post:b8112754-64c8-44b6-8327-aba7b49bf66b">"Cake and Punch"....and The Problem With Sugar</a>:
    [QUOTE]Among the tenets on the forums, one I note quite frequently when people are trying to cut costs for their reception, is a go-to suggestion of having “cake and punch”. If you search it in the forums, the phrase comes up probably hundreds of times. Then I think about my own FI and, if he were going to a reception that had nothing but this, they may as well provide nothing at all. He just really avoids the stuff. Same goes for anyone who’s Paleo, Primal, Zone- or diabetic.   My FI is rather anti-sugar (with the exception of fruits, and even then, in moderation). Here are some links that support that idea:   <a href="http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/27/its-the-sugar-folks/" rel="nofollow">http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/27/its-the-sugar-folks/</a>   <a href="http://www.marieclaire.com/health-fitness/sugar-effects" rel="nofollow">http://www.marieclaire.com/health-fitness/sugar-effects</a>   <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_addiction" rel="nofollow">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_addiction</a>   For a sugar addict with metabolic syndrome where everything’s thrown outta whack, the second that sugar hits their tongue, just like an alcoholic, it is really, really, hard to stop at “just one small piece” like other people can (and not everyone gets this- reminds me of Louis CK’s hilarious “Just have the donut” bit).   <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eUbnkVFQuE" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eUbnkVFQuE</a>   There may be no “moderation” in this case. One portion starts the battle all over again. So some just swear it off.   I know there are many, many dietary issues out there that can crop up- dairy, gluten, peanuts, shellfish, vegan, etc.- at a reception. But when it comes to sugar, it seems that it’s a “demon” for more people than the aforementioned, and I’m getting the sense that a larger part of the population is literally addicted to it (and artificial sweeteners are no better) than we really are aware of. I don’t know if that’s brain chemistry or because it’s so, so cheap (because it’s government subsidized) and therefore widely available that we get stuck in a cycle of overconsumption. I know when I try to curb it, it feels like withdrawal- the cravings are just insane when I first start abstaining and take time to taper. There is a lot of talk about how the stuff is borderline toxic and should actually be regulated like tobacco and alcohol. The proposed NYC soda ban- who would’ve imagined that ten years ago?   Don’t get me wrong, for better or for worse, I personally am not ready to give up wedding cake altogether. Not because I think that’s a good choice, but ‘cause I’m a sucker for it. But I wonder what other creative solutions might crop up as an alternative to “cake and punch”. That there is like a diabetic/sugar addict’s worst enemy. Diabetes is a real problem in this country. Even some kids have it.   We always say that even at a pig roast you should have a vegetarian option- and I think as the dialogue over sugar continues, we could easily see more people avoiding added sugar for health reasons than there are people avoiding meat. Already in the UK, I’m seeing wedding cakes being passed over in favor of stacked “wedding cheese” wheels (google it- they’re gorgeous).   I wonder if there might be a shift to a setup of fruit, vegetables, and cheese instead of the cake, and fresh-squeezed lemon sparkling water instead of the punch. Or at least have those things as options. It probably increases costs- esp. in low-income neighborhoods, a grocery store cake is cheaper than cheese and fresh, presentable produce to feed the same amount of people- but if more and more start eschewing sugar, until healthier stuff is subsidized, what can you do?   Granted, FI runs with a lot of Paleo people who have pretty much rejected sugar (and I think some actually don’t feel too good after consuming an average portion of it, having largely abstained for so long), but if we only put out “cake and punch”, it would be similar to serving just a pasta dinner when a good chunk of people have sworn off gluten due to its side effects.   It may all sound exaggerated but, if you read the articles, the parallels between added sugar and opiates are kind of astounding.   As we learn more about nutrition and the divide grows wider between those who partake in and those who avoid sugar and gluten (another growing point of contention)- basically right now, two cheap staples in the American diet- if you couldn’t afford the variety of choices necessary to accommodate your guests…what’s the lesser of two evils? The reviled (on these boards, anyway) pot luck, so everyone has something to put in their mouths, or  putting out the inexpensive “cake and punch", though your non-added-sugar-eating guests (and I think as awareness increases, the numbers are going to increase on that)will  basically have nothing to consume that won't potentially make them feel ill later?   Do you think added sugar consumption will just never die out, even if it’s proven to be linked to illness, because it’s just too darn tasty and engrained in our culture? Or do you think that foods lacking any nutritional value (that a bite of could send some folks down the slippery slope like a drug does) will slide towards being taboo like tobacco sort of is (or at least, less culturally relevant) and if so, what will old party staples get replaced with?

This sounds like a personal problem.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-and-punchand-the-problem-with-sugar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:e2ba0197-01d8-4c8e-9c63-84b6cb487311Post:d08fc74d-c9d6-4cb4-8117-205b5de29231">Re: "Cake and Punch"....and The Problem With Sugar</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to "Cake and Punch"....and The Problem With Sugar : This sounds like a personal problem.
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>??</div><div>Vague. Could be taken as dismissive.</div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-and-punchand-the-problem-with-sugar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:e2ba0197-01d8-4c8e-9c63-84b6cb487311Post:c3dfee68-7f52-4f14-a565-3c64db0c8a69">Re:quot;Cake and Punchquot;....and The Problem With Sugar</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had sugar free, gluten free cake options, as well as fruit options. I don't care for a lot of foods but I don't go on a diatribe when someone else offers them to me. Entitled much? If your FI is anti cake, don't go to a cake and punch reception. That's fine. Plenty of people are anti alcohol and anti soda. They can choose to go to a reception with alcohol and soda and not partake, or not go. That doesn't mean it's wrong to offer alcohol or soda.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

<div>Who is entitled? The person who went on a diatribe at a reception when something that makes them feel ill was offered? I don't know who this person is, that did this to the host, or ever would.</div><div>
    </div><div>I know we wouldn't not show up to a cake/punch because there was nothing to consume. But overall, we're pretty "couple-centric" for these affairs anyway, and more there to celebrate the commitment than to be hosted in a particular fashion- we can have a good time and aren't going to take issue for having to, I don't know, stand for an outdoor ceremony or cocktail reception (until we're old/disabled and can't), or we weren't invited to the ceremony, or we don't dig the music genre choices, or whatever. It's their deal, and we just personally aren't up in arms over those details.</div><div>
    </div><div>However, I know that may not be everyone and there are plenty who find the "something for everyone" philosophy important, and I was curious as to just how far, when it comes to food, that could extend, as more and more people have to make diverse nutritional choices that buck tradition. And if there's a hypothetical tipping point to where, say, your gluten and sugar free options switch to become the main options with the traditional refreshments- which admittedly aren't the greatest choices (although delicious)- as the sides...or even phased out. It's been interesting to hear what commenters say about where refreshment choices could head.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-and-punchand-the-problem-with-sugar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:e2ba0197-01d8-4c8e-9c63-84b6cb487311Post:63f18ba1-a13e-40ea-b1fd-dceaed13366c">Re:quot;Cake and Punchquot;....and The Problem With Sugar</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is English your primary language? I ask because you have the conversation style of a doctoral term paper, and if it isn't from learning English late in life, I would encourage you to try posting as you would speak in a normal conversation. It's nearly impossible to understand what you are even saying currently, and I am a very intelligent woman with multiple degrees.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Agree!  In addtion, periods need to be used more often.  I had to read this sentence twice because it just ran on and on......</div><div>
    </div><div><span style="font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;background-color:#ffffff;">But overall, we're pretty "couple-centric" for these affairs anyway, and more there to celebrate the commitment than to be hosted in a particular fashion- we can have a good time and aren't going to take issue for having to, I don't know, stand for an outdoor ceremony or cocktail reception (until we're old/disabled and can't), or we weren't invited to the ceremony, or we don't dig the music genre choices, or whatever.</span>

</div>
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-and-punchand-the-problem-with-sugar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:e2ba0197-01d8-4c8e-9c63-84b6cb487311Post:63f18ba1-a13e-40ea-b1fd-dceaed13366c">Re:quot;Cake and Punchquot;....and The Problem With Sugar</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is English your primary language? I ask because you have the conversation style of a doctoral term paper, and if it isn't from learning English late in life, I would encourage you to try posting as you would speak in a normal conversation. It's nearly impossible to understand what you are even saying currently, and I am a very intelligent woman with multiple degrees.

<div>Ha ha, yes, English <em>is </em>my primary language, and it seems that a good number of posters didn't have trouble understanding what I was asking about. </div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks for the encouragement; may I give some encouragement too? I'd encourage an approach that holds off on phrases that could come off as sweeping assumptions like "entitled much?", or ones that could come off as- to sound a little more conversational-throwing shade, i.e. "conversation style of a doctoral term paper". Just to keep productive dialogue going.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-and-punchand-the-problem-with-sugar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:e2ba0197-01d8-4c8e-9c63-84b6cb487311Post:7c30dceb-3de8-4842-a4a8-9fea0e89df23">Re: "Cake and Punch"....and The Problem With Sugar</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Cake and Punch"....and The Problem With Sugar : ?? Vague. Could be taken as dismissive.

Dismissive is as good a word as any to describe my thoughts on your original post. I think your problems with sugar are exactly that: your problems. It's cake and punch, not heroin. Chillax.
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-and-punchand-the-problem-with-sugar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:e2ba0197-01d8-4c8e-9c63-84b6cb487311Post:19473e86-4b59-4843-80f8-28b798dd637c">Re: "Cake and Punch"....and The Problem With Sugar</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Cake and Punch"....and The Problem With Sugar : Dismissive is as good a word as any to describe my thoughts on your original post. I think your problems with sugar are exactly that: your problems. It's cake and punch, not heroin. Chillax.
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

<div>Did you read the links? </div><div>
    </div><div>Sugar is no big prob? I'd reconsider. 1/3 of the US adult pop. is obese. As much as 64% are overweight. Diabetes rate? Twice what it was 20 years ago. Heart disease- #1 killer. </div><div>
    </div><div>And why? Why are so many people sick and dying that way? Caused by stress/smoking/not exercising, sure, but also? Diet. And since Ansel Keys' study (in case you don't know the name- Mr, Keys is a big deal- the guy from the 50s who only had the general pop convinced for decades that saturated fat was bad- and a lot of people still believe this) has been proven erroneous again and again, we know fat's not the killer. Fat's not making you fat. Excess sugar, on the other hand, is proven to be a major culprit in throwing things off metabolically. Try quitting it completely, see how you do. See how well you resist those delicious empty calories at parties and restaurants for the next 8 months. Why is it so hard to kick?</div><div>
    </div><div>Because it's addictive, and so engrained/accepted in our culture we're nowhere near ready to reject added sugar on the whole. Maybe never will be. But smoking was a big part of our culture once too....and that got me thinking, how far might it theoretically go with added sugar? After hearing enough times it was bad news...a lot of people quit tobacco. And because it's addictive, it wasn't an option for the hooked to have <em>"the occasional cigarette".</em> It's do, or don't. Or the cycle starts over.</div><div>
    </div><div>So people are making it their problem- seeing the link between added sugar and their health issues. The large number of articles out there warning against sugar wouldn't exist, otherwise.</div><div>
    </div><div>"WHAT THE H does this have to do with serving CAKE AND PUNCH."</div><div>
    </div><div>A lot. Those things contain the "drug" I think perhaps more will start rejecting- will have to, for their health, given all the aforementioned. Again, I know health conscious and diabetic people who already have. </div><div>
    </div><div>Enough to where wedding cakes phase out? I don't think so. But to start, I bet enough to where hosts start, say, ordering much smaller cakes, when word gets around from bride to bride that "a lot of people are just not eating it", so don't waste the money. Already hosts are providing other options. And who knows from there. </div><div>
    </div><div>You said I have a problem with excess sugar. Yeah the phenom concerns me, but that's not what the post was about. It was about how it's- fact- being reported on by major publications as a national problem. And that those publications have a good point. And that people are- fact- taking this into consideration, and making changes. And how "occasional cake" is not an option for a lot of people, at least until things are reset metabolically. And how that would change traditions in hosting. I don't have a problem with cake and punch on the menu. Look where I wrote that the total absence of cake would disappoint me. Look how I said I'm probably hooked too, because I'm not ready to give it up!</div><div>
    </div><div>I <em>was</em> confused about it being literally the only thing on the menu, as I wasn't seeing other foods suggested to supplement it (until posting here).</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-and-punchand-the-problem-with-sugar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:e2ba0197-01d8-4c8e-9c63-84b6cb487311Post:34680992-4bb0-415e-ab53-99a6c891583d">Re: "Cake and Punch"....and The Problem With Sugar</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Cake and Punch"....and The Problem With Sugar : Did you read the links?  Sugar is no big prob? I'd reconsider. 1/3 of the US adult pop. is obese. As much as 64% are overweight. Diabetes rate? Twice what it was 20 years ago. Heart disease- #1 killer.  And why? Why are so many people sick and dying that way? Caused by stress/smoking/not exercising, sure, but also? Diet. And since Ansel Keys' study (in case you don't know the name- Mr, Keys is a big deal- the guy from the 50s who only had the general pop convinced for decades that saturated fat was bad- and a lot of people still believe this) has been proven erroneous again and again, we know fat's not the killer. Fat's not making you fat. Excess sugar, on the other hand, is proven to be a major culprit in throwing things off metabolically. Try quitting it completely, see how you do. See how well you resist those delicious empty calories at parties and restaurants for the next 8 months. Why is it so hard to kick? Because it's addictive, and so engrained/accepted in our culture we're nowhere near ready to reject added sugar on the whole. Maybe never will be. But smoking was a big part of our culture once too....and that got me thinking, how far might it theoretically go with added sugar? After hearing enough times it was bad news...a lot of people quit tobacco. And because it's addictive, it wasn't an option for the hooked to have "the occasional cigarette". It's do, or don't. Or the cycle starts over. So people are making it their problem- seeing the link between added sugar and their health issues. The large number of articles out there warning against sugar wouldn't exist, otherwise. "WHAT THE H does this have to do with serving CAKE AND PUNCH." A lot. Those things contain the "drug" I think perhaps more will start rejecting- will have to, for their health, given all the aforementioned. Again, I know health conscious and diabetic people who already have.  Enough to where wedding cakes phase out? I don't think so. But to start, I bet enough to where hosts start, say, ordering much smaller cakes, when word gets around from bride to bride that "a lot of people are just not eating it", so don't waste the money. Already hosts are providing other options. And who knows from there.  You said I have a problem with excess sugar. Yeah the phenom concerns me, but that's not what the post was about. It was about how it's- fact- being reported on by major publications as a national problem. And that those publications have a good point. And that people are- fact- taking this into consideration, and making changes. And how "occasional cake" is not an option for a lot of people, at least until things are reset metabolically. And how that would change traditions in hosting. I don't have a problem with cake and punch on the menu. Look where I wrote that the total absence of cake would disappoint me. Look how I said I'm probably hooked too, because I'm not ready to give it up! I was  confused about it being literally the only thing on the menu, as I wasn't seeing other foods suggested to supplement it (until posting here).

You seem paranoid. Sorry. Your articles don't change that.
  • Almost 2 BILLION dollars were spent just on Easter candy this year.        I do not see a huge part of the population giving up sugar altogether anytime soon.  More than likely they will decrease their overall consumption but allow themselves a slice a cake for special occasions like weddings or birthdays.

edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-and-punchand-the-problem-with-sugar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:e2ba0197-01d8-4c8e-9c63-84b6cb487311Post:8f3ed4ac-b7eb-4293-91ae-7121d729f1d7">Re: "Cake and Punch"....and The Problem With Sugar</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Cake and Punch"....and The Problem With Sugar : You seem paranoid. Sorry. Your articles don't change that.
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div><span style="font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;" class="Apple-style-span"><div style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:12px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">Ok. A serious cause of heart disease, which is the #1 killer, and you think I'm paranoid? 79 million pre-diabetic people, NOLA. On the way to joining the 26 mil who've already got it.  As the rate of diabetes increases and we learn more about sugar, you're saying that an increasing number of people rejecting sugar just- isn't potentially a real thing? </div><div style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:12px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">
    </div><div style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:12px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">It's happening. It really is. That makes for a lot of paranoid people. Except, they're not. They've got good reasons.</div><div style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:12px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">
    </div><div style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:12px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">Does a Celebrity Endorsement change anything? We Americans love our celebrities.</div><div style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:12px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">
    </div><div style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:12px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">Straight from Jillian Michaels' site:</div><div style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:12px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">
    </div><div style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:12px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">"(Gary) Taubes' idea that for weight loss 'getting rid of all the grains and much or most of the fruit, and then eating more of whatever foods they happen to eat or like that provide protein and fat' deserve exploration. People with celiac disease learn to cook, to read labels, to avoid gluten, because it's toxic to them. Will we see the same for obesity, heart disease and sugar? Let's hope so."</div><div style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:12px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">
    </div><div style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:12px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">And this:</div><div style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:12px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;"><a style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:12px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;text-decoration:none;font-weight:normal;color:#3a3a3a;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.jillianmichaels.com/lose-weight/wellness-team-blogs/drjohnlapuma/the-truth-about-fructose-and-belly-fat.aspx">http://www.jillianmichaels.com/lose-weight/wellness-team-blogs/drjohnlapuma/the-truth-about-fructose-and-belly-fat.aspx</a></div><div style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:12px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">
    </div><div style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:12px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">Eating/drinking it regularly will mess up your metabolism, make you sick. If you get sick enough, you have to quit it altogether. This is not unrealistic. Most of us are a little bit sick from it, as we're eating it steadily when we don't even know it. Like I said, try quitting for 9 months. Can you? If it's no big deal, I'm sure you can handle it easily. But I think it'll be tough. And that's an indicator.</div><div style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:12px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">
    </div><div style="background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:transparent;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;font-size:12px;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">Like a smoker accepts the facts behind tobacco, at least arm yourself with awareness when it comes to sugar- what it does, and what people are doing about it. What I feel like you're doing by saying "your articles don't change that" and dismissing it as paranoia is willfully rejecting information. You say I sound paranoid. Since we're being blunt, I say you sound addicted. Not that it's unusual.</div></span>
    </div>
  • staar987staar987 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited April 2013
    Your links and articles aren't really that great of supporting data. I mean you reference Wikipedia. That isn't a reliable source of data since I could go and edit the page you linked about sugar addiction to say that the sugar fairy sprinkles all those with an addiction every night during their sleep to keep them addicted.

Diabetics that follow the CORRECT and most recent guidelines given by the American Diabetes Association do not swear off sugar. Carbs are what messes up blood glucose. A quote from their diet page: "experts agree that you can substitute small amounts of sugar for other carbohydrate containing foods..." Not to mention that type 1 diabetes is caused by genetics nothing to do with sugar.

Standing on your soap box and preaching about your research finds doesn't make you sound like any less of a fanatic.

• OP, you get awfully worked up about some sugar. There are much bigger issues in the world than whether someone serves cake at a party.  Join the real world. 

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-and-punchand-the-problem-with-sugar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:e2ba0197-01d8-4c8e-9c63-84b6cb487311Post:17c4ed80-6da9-4df0-91d0-b61d5bf964f4">Re: "Cake and Punch"....and The Problem With Sugar</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your links and articles aren't really that great of supporting data. I mean you reference Wikipedia. That isn't a reliable source of data since I could go and edit the page you linked about sugar addiction to say that the sugar fairy sprinkles all those with an addiction every night during their sleep to keep them addicted. Diabetics that follow the CORRECT and most recent guidelines given by the American Diabetes Association do not swear off sugar. Carbs are what messes up blood glucose. A quote from their diet page: "experts agree that you can substitute small amounts of sugar for other carbohydrate containing foods..." Not to mention that type 1 diabetes is caused by genetics nothing to do with sugar. Standing on your soap box and preaching about your research finds doesn't make you sound like any less of a fanatic.
    Posted by staar987[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Not all Wikipedia pages are created equal. I know it's en vogue to sweep it aside as poor source material, but that particular page is well referenced.</div><div>
    </div><div>Sugar <em>is </em>high in carbs, so if carbs mess up blood glucose....lay off sugar, right?</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm more focused on type 2 than type 1 due to the association with lifestyle choices. And the rate of type 2 to type 1 is far greater once youths hit the teen years.</div><div>
    </div><div>Small servings: ok. So there's an example. More diabetics might equal, say, tiny wedding cakes. Or, since it is still a source of causing diabetes, perhaps they just won't bother with it anymore. Did you know the ketogenic diet has showed significant improvement in type 2? That it can actually reverse it? So I wouldn't put it past some people to give that a go, if it meant being free of the disease.  Sure ADA says you can have sweets sometimes. Doesn't make it ideal. And with so many obese people, either the definition of "sometimes" is getting stretched, or "sometimes" doesn't work for everyone. Thus, could = more alternatives at receptions, maybe?</div><div>
    </div><div>It wasn't about me being on a soapbox. Was just stating the facts- that there's a real problem, publications are reporting on it and have good points to consider (with links to support it), and the real question was, how will it affect receptions? I was just curious as to those opinions. I have no problem with the PP comment about how nothing's changing anytime soon. Esp. when you find some people are pretty blase about the whole thing, that comment might be very on the mark. </div><div>
    </div><div>But this went down the rabbit hole of how I'm paranoid. I didn't for the life of me see what that contributed to the discussion of receptions. So yes, I went with a rebuttal to back up- that you can look the other way- your choice- but, no, I'm not paranoid just because I'm listening to what <em>other people</em> are saying about sugar. That claim just seems to prove we're not at the tipping point to truly becoming a healthier, less diabetic and heart diseased society. </div><div>
    </div><div>PP says "there are bigger problems". Ok.  A reception issue that ties into a substance that's reported to be negatively impacting a huge part of the population...is small potatoes. Is the NYT totally wrong? The sources they cited convinced me. Read and see what you think. Either way, my belief in the relevance of this topic is no greater than other commenters on their beliefs of the problems of pot lucks, standing ceremonies, PPDs, and other popular TK topics. Now, if you're chiming in when someone's up in arms about those issues on how soapboxy and over the top they're getting- when in the grand scheme of things, those issues don't exactly tie into an epidemic affecting a huge part of the pop's welfare- well ok.</div><div>
    </div><div>It's just I don't see that happening much.

</div>
  • For God's sake, it's 2, maybe 4 hours of your life. Don't eat at all if you have this many issues with something. I personally think a cup of coffee and a slice of cake is much better than some of those wildly overdone cocktail hours with a hundred choices, followed by a sit-down dinner and endless liquor.

Good grief.
  • This thread has made my head hurt. 

edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-and-punchand-the-problem-with-sugar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:e2ba0197-01d8-4c8e-9c63-84b6cb487311Post:e93138a5-fe34-42f0-b790-f6949fda4b91">Re: "Cake and Punch"....and The Problem With Sugar</a>:
    [QUOTE]For God's sake, it's 2, maybe 4 hours of your life. Don't eat at all if you have this many issues with something. I personally think a cup of coffee and a slice of cake is much better than some of those wildly overdone cocktail hours with a hundred choices, followed by a sit-down dinner and endless liquor. Good grief.
    Posted by leahkate[/QUOTE]

I don't know how many times I can repeat this. I will personally eat it. I would usually make the choice to eat the cake. Ok? Due to where my will power is, the served cake would be eaten, by me.

I acknowledged legit points science <em>makes </em>about the sugar in the punch and cake<em>- </em>that sugar <em>is</em> a serious issue. Not just something <em>I'm</em> talking about. Something lots and lots of people are talking about.

I put it out there, given the problems, as to whether anyone thought that if enough<em> other </em>people<em>- as in, people with more will power, who are not me- </em>might theoretically totally swear the stuff off in the near future- to where it would change receptions. And if so, how. I asked because I constantly hear etiquette mavens say "you have to 'host' (feed) 'em <em>somehow!"- </em>and I was curious as to how the point behind that would be upheld.<em> </em>I asked because I'd never heard about anything accompanying the C&P, 'til this thread.
    It was a hypothetical. Some PPs gave their opinions on the future of receptions. Cool.

I can't be any clearer. I don't understand this insistence on flipping a hypothetical Q to being my personal pet peeve. There are plenty of OPs on the boards who actually have a pet peeve to jump on if you've got the yen.
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-and-punchand-the-problem-with-sugar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:e2ba0197-01d8-4c8e-9c63-84b6cb487311Post:a64e7dbe-52d8-45a4-8294-437661f0151d">Re:quot;Cake and Punchquot;....and The Problem With Sugar</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's the equating sugar to crack cocaine that makes you seem paranoid and over the top. People who don't want to eat sugar won't eat sugar, people who eat it in moderation will eat it in moderation, an people who binge on it will binge. Acting as if it is the bride and groom's fault, which is exactly how your posts sound, is ridiculous.

I wasn't equating it to crack. I would say it's toxic. I didn't make that up. I was commenting on the source material. Be mad at Mark Bittman, Gary Taubes, whoever else I cited. I'm not launching into the science, but it's a fair point. I used it (and stats) as justification as to why I thought we might theoretically see quitting occur. I'm not faulting anyone, because no noteworthy mass rejection has even <em>happened</em> (and if it did, it'd likely be several years from now). But I know some are huge on "gotta serve/host something". So if you're really hot on that, what then if someday half the people won't touch what's served 'cause all you got is sugar? If it gets to that point. That was my question. Would it? When? And if it did, do you ever change the plan to fit the point of the hosting? If yes, how does it change? That. Was. It. Just. Wondering.

Whatever. Seems even merely asking about changes to the traditional C&P format in the future was so troubling, you'd think I said people shouldn't marry in churches. The actual question- the whole point- suddenly didn't even exist for some PP's, a known factual/growing epidemic was relabeled a personal problem and somehow I had a personal vendetta assigned to boot.

Jeez. Buy and serve whatever you want under the sun if that's what you want. No one's trying to take away the cake here.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-and-punchand-the-problem-with-sugar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:e2ba0197-01d8-4c8e-9c63-84b6cb487311Post:a64e7dbe-52d8-45a4-8294-437661f0151d">Re:quot;Cake and Punchquot;....and The Problem With Sugar</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's the equating sugar to crack cocaine that makes you seem paranoid and over the top.

People who don't want to eat sugar won't eat sugar, people who eat it in moderation will eat it in moderation, an people who binge on it will binge. Acting as if it is the bride and groom's fault, which is exactly how your posts sound, is ridiculous.

This.
  • While your question of what would you serve if people didn't eat added sugar was interesting and could have sparked an interesting conversation, I think it got lost in the long lecture (not attacking, but that is what it came out like) on the evils of sugar from most every reply you posted.

Honestly, I know that by the time I finished your OP I was annoyed because it sounded like you were here to preach about evil sugar. When people tried to respond to you it just kind of escalated how you came across with the lecture.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-and-punchand-the-problem-with-sugar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:e2ba0197-01d8-4c8e-9c63-84b6cb487311Post:f9d4d20e-4b27-45f3-b4e7-45ab88c758b7">Re: "Cake and Punch"....and The Problem With Sugar</a>:
    [QUOTE]While your question of what would you serve if people didn't eat added sugar was interesting and could have sparked an interesting conversation, I think it got lost in the long lecture (not attacking, but that is what it came out like) on the evils of sugar from most every reply you posted. Honestly, I know that by the time I finished your OP I was annoyed because it sounded like you were here to preach about evil sugar. When people tried to respond to you it just kind of escalated how you came across with the lecture.
    Posted by staar987[/QUOTE]

All of this.

If each of your posts hadn't turned into 100 page long term papers basically berating us about the evils of sugar we wouldn't have jumped to the conclusion that you despise the stuff and would like to bannish it to hell.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards