Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Name Change

Hey girls!

Can anybody give me information/advice on how to go about changing my name in Allegheny County? Do I have to wait unti after the wedding or can I start the process now? What problems did you encounter? Also, did anyone use one of those name-change kits?

Re: Name Change

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You have to wait until after the wedding.  You will need the triple seal license. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The kits are a scam. I would skip them.

You want to get the official seal license from the country after you get married. You can then take that to Social Security to request a new card, and then to the DMV for a new license. If you go to a DMV with a Photo Center, you can get your new license that same day.

For SS, you'll need ID with your maiden name, so be sure to do this change before you head to the DMV. And, the SS Office in Allegheny Commons (North Side) is usually empty.

After these two things, you can do all the others (passport, banks, payroll, taxes, etc).
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No further info, but IMO those name-changing kits are a waste of money.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would wait to change passport last, since you have to send in the license to do so, and you'll need the license for lots of other things.  My passport change took about 4 weeks from send in to return. 
    August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards