Getting in Shape

Need the gym?

I have been thinking about canceling my gym membership. I tried going in the mornings and it's not working for me and by the time I get off work at night I'm to pooped with too much to do. I haven't been going and I really like the group classes though. Do i really need the gym to get effective exercise?

Can I buy some equipment for my house, bike riding, go to zumba class at a nearby studio and still get the same results? I could really use every one's opinion on this. Money is tight since we are saving for the wedding and I could use that extra 50 a month considering I'm not even making use of the gym membership any more.

Suggestions? Comments?

Re: Need the gym?

• Well, I think this is sort of a silly question.

If you're not using it, it's not doing you any good.  Many people get in shape without a gym membership. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • I find I need the gym a lot less in the nicer months, but it was a total life-saver in the winter months. I got way more activity with the gym than I otherwise would have (there is only so much exercising I would be able to do at home).

Not everyone needs a gym, but you might want to give it another go? I find that when I schedule gym time in and don't make it optional I'm a lot more likely to go. I bring my gym bag to work with me and go to the gym immediately from work. If I go home first, I'm probably not leaving again.
  • Thank you for all the responses.

Stage: You're right. I don't do much at home. I'm going to start walking and riding the bike and use at home DVDs to start off with BEFORE i cancel my membership as suggested.

• I'm a gym nut, why? Bc I know when I'm there there are no distractions and I get it done. I suuuuuck at working out at home. Just ask yourself what makes you think you'll be any better at home. Be honest with yourself about your weaknesses. I have no idea how some of these ladies can be so diligent at home with work outs. It blows my mind and I have so much respect for them. Not everyone is a at-home person just like not everyone is a gym person. If you're wasting money then end it, but don't let that make you slack off. Hold yourself accountable and either way you'll be successful
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards