Getting in Shape
Options

Recipes for fish?

Hi ladies!

I'm trying to make a concerted effort to eat more fresh fish; I keep reading all these articles about how good it is for you. However, I'm still pretty unsure about how to cook it - so far, pretty much all we do is salmon on the BBQ (before this, all I made was the breaded fish you get in the freezer aisle - so not good for you)! I'm wondering if anyone has any favourite fish recipes (any type of fish) they'd be willing to share or link, or any tips and tricks for cooking with fish!

Re: Recipes for fish?

• Options
    Fish en papilotte!!!!!!!

Seriously, it's simple and delicious even though it sounds fancy.

Basically you take some veggies (tomatoes, asparagus, squash, anything and slice them thin.  Place the on a big piece of parchment paper (if oven cooking) or tin foil (if grilling) in an even pile in the middle.
    place seasoned fish fillet on top.  We usually use tilapia, catfish or trout but it works for others too.
    add a drizzle of oil and lemon juice if you want (sometimes DH adds a little butter too)
    fold up he edges to make a little sealed package.
    cook or grill through.

It's my favorite ever!  Sometimes we make them ahead of time and grill them at the beach.

http://www.thenovicechefblog.com/2012/07/fish-en-papillote-fish-in-parchment-paper/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/fish-en-papillote-recipe/index.html
  • Options
    I just stick it in a baggie in either some marinade of whatever kind or a rub and let it marinate for a few hours. Then I put in the oven. Cooking times will vary depending on the type of fish. I'm not much of a fancy cook, so simple is how I roll. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    There is some Pinterest thing about how you can cook fish in your dishwasher - I think you're basically poaching it. Not sure why you'd want to though, when you could just use a pot? Asking the wrong vegan. I will say, I'm pretty jealous of fish en papilotte. Like...I want to make veggies en papilotte just because I think it's such a cool technique.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We eat a lot of fish, and I usually just grill it, or bake it. Sometimes after that I'll chop it up for fish tacos or something like that, or I use the stovetop to sautee shrimp, too. Just kep in mind that you can substitute fish for chicken virtually anywhere...ie. fish tacos instead of chicken tacos, fish (salmon) salad instead of chicken salad, salmon burgers instead of chicken burgers. Good luck! :) I used to hate fish, and now I crave it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    awww I miss fish. 
    I used to chop up a tomato and pepper, sautee' it on the stove top, toss a piece of cod on top of it (turn down to low), cover, and let simmer for about 8 minutes. 
    Done. Boom. Food. omnomnomnomnom (slicing some lemons to set on top is also a win) 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_recipes-for-fish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:7424e474-6490-4632-96c0-dc245e5f7c99Post:9f16d712-82ef-49d8-98fc-094ff8bdf53a">Re: Recipes for fish?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There is some Pinterest thing about how you can cook fish in your dishwasher - I think you're basically poaching it. Not sure why you'd want to though, when you could just use a pot? Asking the wrong vegan. I will say, I'm pretty jealous of fish en papilotte. <strong>Like...I want to make veggies en papilotte just because I think it's such a cool technique.</strong>
    Posted by Ophelia0326[/QUOTE]

<div>The summer camp I worked at used this technique for direct campfire cooking. You can honestly throw anything and everything into tinfoil then toss it on hot cools or a grill. Just make sure the tin foil is rolled correctly so it's air tight and it's just essentially a steaming technique that is insanely delicious. </div>
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I am trying to eat fish too because I heard it is low calorie (trying to look gooood for my bachelorette party and wedding of course : ).  But, i heard it can have mercury too!  Is chicken or turkey as good for you (and low calorie) as fish? 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_recipes-for-fish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:7424e474-6490-4632-96c0-dc245e5f7c99Post:0efab30c-846c-4cb4-bfbf-3d1be675ac91">Re: Recipes for fish?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am trying to eat fish too because I heard it is low calorie (trying to look gooood for my bachelorette party and wedding of course : ).  But, i heard it can have mercury too! <strong> Is chicken or turkey as good for yo</strong>u (and low calorie) as fish? 
    Posted by JennaRoseMay2014[/QUOTE]

<div>*blink. blink*  Yesss...</div>
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I usually broil my fish if it is just the fillet and no skin. I believe its 6-8 mins per inch of thickness. I always double check before I cook it because I can never remember.

Tilapia (or any white fish.. cod/haddock etc) - I usually season with salt pepper garlic and lemon juice. If I'm broiling I don't usually add butter because it doesn't need the moisture. Make sure to season both sides!

Salmon - Sometimes we will do a soy/teriyaki based marinade or if I buy fresh salmon I'll get them to leave the skin on. I'll score the back (basically create thin slits through the skin to the meat itself, just don't go into the flesh) and then season with S/P/G and pan sear (you can use a little butter for some flavor but I generally use cooking spray. Start with 6-7 minutes skin side down so it gets nice and brown then flip over and finish for 2-4 minutes on flesh side. Salmon can be slightly (SLIGHTLY) pink but should still flake. Then i top it with a mango/red onion salsa (add S/P/G lime juice, little cilantro if you like the flavor). We eat this one a lot more in the summer.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_recipes-for-fish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:7424e474-6490-4632-96c0-dc245e5f7c99Post:0efab30c-846c-4cb4-bfbf-3d1be675ac91">Re: Recipes for fish?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am trying to eat fish too because I heard it is low calorie (trying to look gooood for my bachelorette party and wedding of course : ).  But, i heard it can have mercury too!  Is chicken or turkey as good for you (and low calorie) as fish? 
    Posted by JennaRoseMay2014[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Hmm.. Not sure how to answer this... </div><div>Some fish are low-calorie.. Some are high.. some are fatty. Do research. It's good for you. Makes you smarter.</div><div>Mercury is in fish. That doesn't make it automatically bad for you. Do you know what mercury does to your body? If the answer is no, then why are you concerned? If you're concerned about mercury poisoning, thenjust.. don't eat it multiple times a day, or research lower mercury fish..you aren't going to suffer from mercury poisoning from one fishy meal a few times a week. </div><div>
    </div><div>Also, If you're worried about fish having mercury, I would be MORE concerned about eating chicken with growth horomones. Same with turkey. No matter what, you're looking at some down sides to anything you eat. </div><div>That's why our diets are a balancing act. The more you know, the more successful you will be at balancing your diet. </div><div>
    </div><div>Knowledge it power!!</div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    Fantastic - thanks ladies! I'm excited to go home and cook me up some fish tonight :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_recipes-for-fish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:7424e474-6490-4632-96c0-dc245e5f7c99Post:f36d18ce-6373-49ec-9b4f-696854be9af9">Re: Recipes for fish?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Fantastic - thanks ladies! I'm excited to go home and cook me up some fish tonight :)
    Posted by jaenella[/QUOTE]

Let us know how it turns out!
  • Options
    For the record, I had fish en papilotte last night because of this stinkin thread!!!  I'm proud of myself though, the entire meal cost me 6 bucks with enough veggies leftover for lunch today, and an avocado thrown into the purchase price for taco night. 
  • Options
    i am a bad vegetarian who eats fish from time to time. Time to come clean. I go back and forth from being a vegetarian for real, and then eating fish and feeling like a total fraud. 

Anyway, when I make fish, I do very little in the way of seasoning. Here are some different things I do (not all at once):
    -put a very, very thin layer of panko breadcrumbs (definitely not enough to cover the fish, almost in the way you'd use a spice)
    -squeeze a lmeon over it
    -chop up garlic and add sea salt
    -almond-encrusted fish
    -rosemary
    -added bits of horseradish to the top
  • Options
    kaos - you inspired me to have fish en papilotte last night too! Delish!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards