Getting in Shape
Options

Opinions on Stevia?

I can't seem to find out for sure if it's a safe alternative sweetener or not. I want to avoid regular sugar as much as I can because my dad has diabetes and I'm paranoid about getting it, but I also am suspicious of artificial anything in food.

I really only eat it occasionally when baked in muffins, since those are the easiest breakfast thing for me to eat in the car on the way to work. However, I'm pretty much hooked on Clemmy's ice cream bars which supposedly use the same sort of natural sugar alcohol. 

Anyone have an opinion on stevia? Is it safe to eat occasionally? Is there a certain brand you recommend?

Re: Opinions on Stevia?

• Options
    Stevia is a sugar alcohol. 
    It's significantly better for you than most sugar substitutes because it doesn't cause the same blood sugar spikes (that make you crave MORE sugar). 
    This does not mean that you need to go stevia happy. It's highly processed for commercial use. The only way I have it is in leaf form so that it's still concisered raw (unprocessed). 

The stuff like truvia isn't 100% stevia. It has erythritol as well, which is also a sugar alcohol. 
  • Options
    oh, goodness, xcal! I'm sorry.. I didn't even read your response when I wrote mine! I wasn't trying to bash yours at all! Sooo sorry. 
    Honestly, the best route to take is just to get your own stevia plant and use the leaves in your cooking.. but I realize that may be a little bit of a stretch.. The next best bet is finding something at a whole foods or co-op that is pure extract. 
  • Options
    Meh.. I still feel like a jerkface.. lol. The reason I picked out truvia in particular was because I know a girl that eats that stuff like CRAZY. She goes through one of those costco sized things a week. NONSTOP baking and thinks that it's all ok because.. duh.. it's stevia. *rolls eyes*
    I realize this is not you :o
  • Options
    I think like most things in life, in moderation it's fine...just don't start adding gallons of it to your food and beverages.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_opinions-on-stevia?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:788f4fd5-100a-4e36-93d3-456b057f9357Post:2101ed78-2524-4bee-a89c-f5a34c738b55">Re: Opinions on Stevia?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stevia is a sugar alcohol.  It's significantly better for you than most sugar substitutes because it doesn't cause the same blood sugar spikes (that make you crave MORE sugar).  This does not mean that you need to go stevia happy. It's highly processed for commercial use. The only way I have it is in leaf form so that it's still concisered raw (unprocessed).  The stuff like truvia isn't 100% stevia. It has erythritol as well, which is also a sugar alcohol.  <a href="http://www.livestrong.com/article/477429-problems-with-truvia/" rel="nofollow">http://www.livestrong.com/article/477429-problems-with-truvia/</a> <a href="http://www.livestrong.com/article/556918-the-disadvantages-of-erythritol/" rel="nofollow">http://www.livestrong.com/article/556918-the-disadvantages-of-erythritol/</a>
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

ACK! Eww! And here I was thinking I was doing something good! I've been using (tiny amounts of) Truvia just in my coffee at work because it's what we have.

OP, as for baking and things like that, I like using natural whole sugars like agave syrup or fruit. Yes, they have sugar, but they're still much better for you than refined sugar or chemical non-sugar. The glycemic load of agave is 15 compared to 64 in refined sugar, so that would be a good alternative. Also, if you put other healthy stuff in your muffins (whole wheat flour, oats, flaxseeds, etc - essentially fiber and protein), that will reduce the glycemic load as well.

Diabetes runs in my family too, so I know a little how you feel. Honestly, the best thing you can do is eat a healthy, balanced diet made up of whole foods, and get some exercise!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I can't avoid sugar altogether, since it's in veggies and everything! I've really noticed that cutting way down on sugar makes me feel SO much better and lighter somehow. I've weaned myself off cream and sweeteners in my coffee, but breakfast is my struggle :) My muffin recipe uses soy flour and stevia so it's pretty low carb, and it's only 1/4 cup of stevia to make 12 muffins so hopefully that isn't too extreme! I confess that I have been using truvia, but I've seen other kinds at whole foods so I'll check that out :) Thanks!
  • Options
    really interesting articles ftl, thanks for adding!

as a migraine sufferer triggered by artificial sweetners, I had to detox myself from them years ago.  like mentioned before, I felt hellish while it was going on, but now i feel SO much better without having them in my system!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards