Getting in Shape
Options

NGISR - Foundation Recommendation?

Hi Girls,

My boudoir photo shoot is Saturday, and the makeup artist asked that if we have a perfect match foundation, to bring it to the shoot. In all seriousness, I do not have any foundation! :( I usually just wear mineral powder and I don't worry about covering every single inperfection, but I want a little more coverage for the shoot. I'm light skin toned and I do have some acne scarring that needs coverage.

So, what brand or type do you recommend? Also, preferably something that isn't going to cost $50 since I'll probably only use it once.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NGISR - Foundation Recommendation?

• Options
    Ophelia0326Ophelia0326 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    I recently started using a BB cream (drug-store variety), and it really does wonders. It's pretty light, though I mix it with my moisturizer some days to lighten it even more. It just kind of evens out your tone and makes you look generally better. This coming from a someone who prefers to wear moisturizer only. ETA: I think CoverGirl makes a "true-match", and I'm sure most other drug store brands do as well. If you don't have something you use, I wouldn't stress about it. Like she said, IF you have something you use.

Btw, I read the title and was intrigued why you were asking about foundations, because I work at a non-profit and my eyes are always open for the OTHER kind of foundation. Lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    cnf2013cnf2013 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited April 2013
    I barely ever wear any face covering makeup. I'm a strictly eye shadow and mascara kinda girl. I do own some. I use that matte mouse stuff. It's either cover girl or some other drug store brand. I don't even know honestly. I just know what the tub it comes in looks like and that's it's called matte mouse and you cna buy the matching powder to go with it. It's weird to me that the MUA can't mix her own stuff to make your perfect match, which would actually be more accurate then anything off the shelf. 

As for MAC, as mentioned above, it is not a drug store brand. It's a professional brand you'll only find at a MAC specific counter in a department store or Sephora. That being said I looooove MAC make up and it's awesome, but it's pretty expensive. I'd suggest you go to Sephora and have one of the consultants match your shade then you either buy something there, or go find the same color/shade in a drug store brand. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Make Up For Ever HD foundation always gets really good reviews (click).  I have tried every shade remotely close to my skin tone and can say that none of them are a good match.  I think this is my tricky skin tones though.  The quality of the foundation is really good.  Don't let me weird skin color dissuade you from trying it.  It is pretty expensive at $42.

I use Diorskin.  OMG I love it! The color I use (Cameo) is perfect for my skin tone.  The quality is top notch.  It is even more spendy than the MUFE at $48.  Click.

Since you probably don't want to spend quite that much, one option would be to head to your closest Sephora and ask them to color match you and ask for a sample.  But you might be further ahead to just buy some foundation, I assume you'll also want it for your wedding day makeup?  I'm sorry I only have super expensive suggestions!  I have a makeup shopping problem. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_ngisr-foundation-recommendation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:bd0e6376-d6c5-4548-829b-4d733ffc00b1Post:daeb41de-21fa-4565-8f6b-c51c543fdf85">Re: NGISR - Foundation Recommendation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Make Up For Ever HD foundation always gets really good reviews ( click ).  I have tried every shade remotely close to my skin tone and can say that none of them are a good match.  I think this is my tricky skin tones though.  The quality of the foundation is really good. 
    Posted by lovelyheather[/QUOTE]

Ditto MUFE although pricy. A cheaper option I've recently found is Revlon photo ready I believe its called. Below is the link

<a href="http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2212504&productId=xlsImpprod1790139&navAction=push&navCount=1&categoryId=cat80022?cmpid=PSGO&CAWELAID=772016901&catargetid=1542183334&cagpspn=pla" rel="nofollow">http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2212504&productId=xlsImpprod1790139&navAction=push&navCount=1&categoryId=cat80022?cmpid=PSGO&CAWELAID=772016901&catargetid=1542183334&cagpspn=pla</a>

And then I set it using this.

<a href="http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2232489&productId=xlsImpprod3460247&navAction=push&navCount=1&subdoc=6revloncolorstay&categoryId=cat80028" rel="nofollow">http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2232489&productId=xlsImpprod3460247&navAction=push&navCount=1&subdoc=6revloncolorstay&categoryId=cat80028</a>

I've been using it 2-3 weeks now and I actually really like it. It isn't heavy and doesn't get shiny or run. It matches my skin well and blends in easily.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'll probably take a look at the drug store and if I can't find anything I'll head to Sephora and see what they've got! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I was a fan of the Smashbox foundation I got for my wedding - it went on even and seemed to cover all imperfections. It is expensive though...
  • Options
    My two go-tos are definitely on the expensive side... my skin likes to break out at the slightest provocation so most foundations give me terrible acne (I don't usually wear any daily). The ones I've found that didn't are Bare Minerals and Laura Mercier, both from Sephora. I second the suggestion that you go and ask for a sample though, if you only want it for a few wears (they are usually pretty generous with the amount they give in samples).

My sister doesn't have super acne prone skin like me and loves L'Oreal True Match!
  • Options
    Revlon Photo Ready and Revlon Colorstay are both good options for a drug store price!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Have you considered having someone do your makeup?  For our e-pics I went to the MAC counter (they let me make an appointment),and they did my makeup for the cost of 50 dollars of product.  Maybe more than you wanted to spend on foundation, but you could buy stuff you might actually use like eyeshadow, etc.

Their studio fix foundation covers really well for photos, but I can't wear it regularly or I break out.  I also have acne scarring, and my face looked great in our pics. 

Have fun and let us know how it goes!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards