Getting in Shape
Options

Exercising shame...

So, I'm relatively new here. Wedding isn't until June 2014 so I've got lots of time. My dress fits amazingly, but I don't feel healthy and I don't look healthy. I want to, but my biggest problem is that I just don't exercise. I don't know what to do for a routine and I feel awkward doing it around other people. I'm a college student, but I don't have access to a free gym (and I probably wouldn't go because I'm so self conscious). I do walk to all of my classes though. 20min in the morning for my 9am, 10min to my 10am, 10min back to my dorm plus walking 20min to my FH's house across campus. 

I'm even self conscious about working out in from of my FH which is a bit of a bummer because A) I'll be marrying him! and B) I'm with him almost all of the time while we're here at school so I don't really get any alone time.

So I guess my questions are:
1) What's your workout routine? (DVDs? Just pushups, situps, etc?)
2) What are your eating habits like. (I used to have a MyFitnessPal, but just stopped tracking because I wasn't seeing any results and I just kept getting more and more discouraged).
3) What do you concentrate on when you workout? OR What keeps you motivated? (All I can think of is how heavy I am and how stupid I look. I get winded easily and have knee problems (thanks genetics) so running is not an option.) 

"Once in awhile, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale."

Re: Exercising shame...

• Options
    Hello and welcome, speedchick! I just joined very recently also and ditto Lia; the ladies on this board are wonderfully welcoming and have great advice! I also ditto... well, essentially everything else Lia said :) I think what you are doing so far are great steps in the right direction! To answer your questions:

1) I have a combination of workout DVDs that I do and I regularly bike, both outside and inside on a trainer.  I also play Ultimate Frisbee (started as a beginner 3 years ago) - I find the team atmosphere really encourages me! However, that is only what works for me - what is going to work for you is anything that you enjoy and are motivated to keep doing! If you hate it, you won't want to keep it up.

2) I use MFP to track my meals. I used to see one bad day and use it as an excuse to fall off the rails with my eating for a week! Now, I've learned that as long as I eat well (limited processed food, as many vegetables as I want) around 80% of the time, to not beat myself up about the occasional splurges - as long as it's one splurge and not 15. I've found accurately measuring portion sizes is also important, as is making sure to log everything - even the little bites and nibbles!

3) Think of how awesome you are for even exercising at all - getting started is definitely the hardest part! If it's a tough workout, I remind myself that next time will be easier, or I reflect on how much easier this workout is than when I did it before. Also, music to distract myself!

Have you tried working out with your FI before? Pick something he is totally new at as well, and you can learn it together! Join an intramurals team on campus, or a club (dance lessons! karate! soccer!) - you could both get into something new together! There are a HUGE number of opportunities on a college campus that I wish I had taken advantage of when I was a student.
  • Options
    Hi and welcome! I'm on MFP - my username is glitterngold1014. Feel free to add me.

1) My work out routine I'm working on. I usually do vinyasa yoga 3 - 4 times a week and run once a week. I'm trying to get the courage up to do some weights at the gym. You really need to find something you like - for me, that's yoga. I started with hatha yoga and went from there. If you're self consious about taking classes at a gym (does your college not have one? I never lived on campus, so I'm not sure if college gyms are free), get some DVDs from amazon. If you want any suggestions on yoga DVDs, feel free to ask or PM me.

2) I use MFP. I don't use it on the weekends, but I now have a feel for how many calories I need in the day and how much I eat that I feel ok without using it on the weekends. I honestly don't eat much meat. Only when FI and I go out do I get meat. Load up on veggies and fruits. I like to snack a lot, but have managed to cut down on it. When I can find them, I snack on pomegranates. They're like candy to me!

3) I concentrate on how I'll feel after I work out. When I run I can feel certain parts bouncing, which isn't fun, but I keep going because I know I'll feel better about myself after. I also feel happier when I work out.

Try not to concentrate on how others may perceive you - more than likely (especially in the gym) they don't even notice you. Everyone is in their own little exercise bubble. I'm a little self conscious about doing yoga in front of FI (I think he enjoys it though ;-) ) but I try to focus on what I'm doing and ignore him. I know he won't make fun of me either, so that's a big help too. I'd suggest scheduling some exercise time in, even if it's just a long walk uphill. Don't get discouraged if you have to stop and catch your breath.
  • Options
    Welcome!

Everone here has spoken the truth; we all started somewhere, and there's no reason to be self-conscious. The people at the gym (or park) are far more focused on what they're doing, and those that are acknowledging you are doing so out of respect. They're glad you're doing this too!

You need to do this for you. Not one of us here can motivate you - it has to be for you and your own reasons. Those reasons can be anything from wanting to rock a bikini to living a strong and healthy life. Find something that you enjoy (and sometimes that takes time, try new things) and go from there. It takes about 21 days for something to become a habit. There are days when we all have to force ourselves to put on the sneakers and get it done. But we do. And sometimes we dont, but we start all over the next day.

Sign up for MPF. Most of us use the same name as here. You'll find a supportive group of women here, all of whom have wonderful advice and suggestions. Accountability is awesome, there's always someone to answer questions or lend an ear.

This is a great place to hang.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    cnf2013cnf2013 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited April 2013
    Welcome! Don't feel bad, everyone starts somewhere.

1. I run just about everyday. Usually 5-7 times per week plus I do some lifting, rowing, strength training, and spinning. I run triathlons, so I have to keep moving otherwise I'd probably keel over at some point during a race. 

2. Moderately healthy. This is an area I need to work on. If I could just eat mac and a cheese, pizza, and fried food forever I'd be ecstatic. But I'd also be like 400lbs. I eat pretty healthy about 85% of the time and eat clean about 50% of the time. Lean Cuisines are my huge pitfall. But I use MFP. I've been a calorie counter for upwards of a decade now and always see results when I track consistently. My name is the same as it is here, so feel free to add me. 

3. Racing is my big motivation. I sign up for races the day registration opens, no matter how far in advance it is. I registered for my first race for this season back in December and it forces me to workout because I always have that nagging in the back of my brain reminding me I'll not be able to race otherwise.  

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Welcome to GIS!

Anything and everything. Right now I go to body combat twice a week, body pump once a week, and then every other day of the week I fill in with whatever activity I want to. My "routine" is to make sure I get enough activity in every day (doesn't matter what kind). I got a FitBit and that has helped motivate me a LOT to keep moving.

2) What are your eating habits like.
    My eating habits are most definitely my downfall, but that is why MyFitnessPal is SO important! Get back on there ASAP and friend as many of us as you can. We all motivate eachother and support eachother. Even if you're not seeing any scale progress immediately you are teaching yourself good habits. You can add me, my SN there is the same as here :)

3) What do you concentrate on when you workout? OR What keeps you motivated?
    I concentrate just making sure I start an activity...once I start, I am pretty much guaranteed to finish. Find something you enjoy, and if you start getting bored mix it up, just make sure you keep doing SOMETHING. Even if you just go on a walk outside, that is better than sitting on the couch and not doing anything.

My motivation is not just looking good, I also want to be able to walk and move around when I'm 60. You gotta think of the long-term :)
  • Options
    I'm at the gym 6 days a week from 2 to 4 hours. I do a lot of the group X classes. They keep me motivated and keep me from getting bored. I also run a few times a week, and practice combat (I'm an instructor). On my off days I get in a hike or some paddle boarding. 

2) What are your eating habits like. (I used to have a MyFitnessPal, but just stopped tracking because I wasn't seeing any results and I just kept getting more and more discouraged).
    Uhh.. I just got back from vaca so.. not great.. lol. I'm vegan, but it's still very easy to eat like crap. I stick to about 75-80% raw foods, but can't have much fruit. Livestrong is what I use to track, and I was discouraged and bored with it at first.. but then it became an addiction and really changed how I ate. Stick it out!

3) What do you concentrate on when you workout? OR What keeps you motivated? (All I can think of is how heavy I am and how stupid I look. I get winded easily and have knee problems (thanks genetics) so running is not an option.) 
    What keeps me motivated are the group x classes because I get to see so many other people that are pushing HARD, even when I'm not. It's a smack to me as a reminder that I need to be pushing as hard as the hardest working person in that class. 
    I also am really competetive. That includes with myself. That's why I can get motivated to run faster or longer.. 

And *shameless* when I'm reeeally unmotivated I think of people I know that can run longer than me, or lift heavier, etc that I KNOW aren't in nearly as good of shape as me. THat angers me, and pushes my drive on those blah days. 
  • Options
    1) What's your workout routine? I do a bit of everything. I run and I spin. I hate the elliptical and erg. I do a couple classes (Brickhouse - which is a mesh of HIT/kickboxing/yoga/zumba/bootcamp and then a purely HIT class). I also do Group Power which is all lifting.
    A typical week looks like this...
    Monday - Group power (or if I can't make the class I will run)
    Tuesday - Spin or run
    Wednesday - brickhouse
    Thursday - Run or spin (or I take the day off depending how I feel)
    Friday - HIT
    Sat - brickhouse (or run)
    Sun - usually day off
    Running distances usually vary but I will typically do a minimum of 3 miles but I prefer to run 4-5. Some of the mondays I will run sprints (flat or hills).

2) What are your eating habits like.?  Clean. FI has celiac so the only real premade staples we have in the house is his bread/pasta and my ezekiel bread. Other then that I make all of our soups/sauces from scratch. We do have some marinades but for the most part I'll make it with stuff I already have in the kitchen. As a xcaly said you really have to measure, we grossly underestimate what we eat so measuring it really makes you more accountable.

Just because something is "organic" or "gluten free" doesn't mean its better for you. A gluten free cookie is still a cookie. It still isn't good for you (every so often yes thats fine but don't fall for labels and thinking it is healthy).

We tend to mistake hunger with thirst. Always keep a water bottle around and when you think you might be getting hungry have some water and wait a little bit. If you are still hungry in 15 minutes maybe you really hungry.

Another thing is snacking - specifically fruit. Try and pair your fruit with some fat or a bit of protein to slow digestion. Banana/apple with PB or carrots with hummus. This will slow your insulin response to the food- so instead of a rapid spike or increase you will gradually rise up and gradually fall - you wont get that crash.

3) What do you concentrate on when you workout? OR What keeps you motivated?
    running - I try and drift off. I think about my research or my classes or ideas I have to make things better.
    Spin - Just pedal and go.
    Lifting - proper technique
    Keeps me motivated? being healthy and in phenomenal shape. My body. As superficial as that is - I feel way more confident, sexier, and better about myself now then I ever have. I love my body. Keeping it makes me motivated.

When it comes down to motivation - you just have to want it. What works for me or any of the PP may not work for you. None of us can make you want it or drive you to work out - motivation has got to come from you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards