Getting in Shape
Options

Pescetarianism?

It's lunch time around here, which means I'm filling my mind with random internet knowledge. :) For awhile, I've been entertaining the idea of becoming a vegetarian, and I think it would be an easy switch for me. I already do not eat red meat, besides the occasional hamburger, and even then I usually pick a turkey burger. I also don't eat pork. I do eat chicken or turkey pretty often, though. Has anyone heard of pescetarianism? I read about it online and it is essentially a vegetarian diet with the exception of fish. I like the idea of eating more fish, just because it is healthier than a lot of other meats, but wasn't sure if this was a legit "ism" or not. I was thinking maybe being a pescetarian would be a little easier to switch to, because if I was craving meat I could just have some fish?

Vegetarians and vegans - help me! haha. Is this pescetarianism thing real life?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Pescetarianism?

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Yes, In fact, all three of my Bridesmaids were/are Pescatarians.. hah. 
    YES it's real life and most "vegetarians" I know aren't actually vegetarians, they are Pescatarians. It also means you can have eggs and dairy (should you choose to). I don't think I have met a true-blue "vegetarian" 
    In my experience with my friends/family and myself (I was a pescatarian for all of middle school, but didn't eat eggs), It's suuuper easy to be a Pescatarian. All restaurants have at least a couple Pesca/Vege options, and allowing fish really opens up a TOOOONNNN of options. 
  • Options
    Yep, it's definitely a real thing, several of my friends are pescetarian.  I flirt with it from time to time and will follow the pescy thing for a few weeks sometimes just to take a break.  I'm also not a big red meat eater, so I think you could probably do it without too much of a problem.  Just my 2 cents worth!
  • Options
    I'm a pescetarian part of the time. I go back and forth on eating fish and not eating fish. I guess that really makes me a pescetarian.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_pescetarianism?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:de4a2e31-ad6d-4d13-9fbe-e63c8c63b5b6Post:ef8d3134-934d-4f77-966c-83c2404c6eb9">Re: Pescetarianism?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a pescetarian part of the time. I go back and forth on eating fish and not eating fish. I guess that really makes me a pescetarian.
    Posted by AndreaJulia[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Most vegetarians would say you're a pescatarian then, since you don't feel awful about killing and eating a fish being. </div><div>
    </div><div>Most vegans don't consider me vegan since I'm not an animal activist, but rather an environmentalist. I'm considered someone with a "plant-based diet" </div>
  • Options
    I was a true blue vegetarian for six years! I have since included seafood and poultry back into my food arsenal about five years ago due to some nutritional deficiencies I couldn't seem to get control over and supplements actually make me sick, so I need my nutrients to come from my diet. 

Pescatarian is a pretty easy diet to follow. I'm in the camp of I just do not like certain types of meat so I said eff it and dropped them all, only to pick a few back up. But I have been dabbling on the idea of reconverting. We'll see. 

Give it a try for a week or two and see how you fair. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    lovelyheatherlovelyheather member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited April 2013
    @FTL Me, you know me! I am a "real" vegetarian and have been for 7 years!

Pescetarian is a real thing, but it definitely is not as well known as vegetarian or vegan.  It drives me crazy when pescetarians call themselves vegetarian.  But only because when I ask if there will be a vegetarian option available and then come to find out the the vegetarian option is actually fish/seafood...I don't get to eat dinner.  This is especially common during Lent.

@andrea I would consider you a pescetarian :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_pescetarianism?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:de4a2e31-ad6d-4d13-9fbe-e63c8c63b5b6Post:32c46802-e6e3-47be-82ad-43ba67a6b06c">Re: Pescetarianism?</a>:
    [QUOTE]@FTL Me, you know me! I am a "real" vegetarian and have been for 7 years! Pescetarian is a real thing, but it definitely is not as well known as vegetarian or vegan.<strong>  It drives me crazy when pescetarians call themselves vegetarian.</strong>  <strong><font color="#333399">But only because when I ask if there will be a vegetarian option available and then come to find out the the vegetarian option is actually fish/seafood...I don't get to eat dinner.  This is especially common during Lent</font><font color="#003366">.</font></strong> @andrea I would consider you a pescetarian :)
    Posted by lovelyheather[/QUOTE]

<div>I know you weren't directing this toward me, but I just wanted to say that I don't call myself a vegetarian when I have reverted back to eating fish. For example, for a year until about 2 weeks ago I didn't each fish and intended never to again. Before that I had another 2 year period where I gave up all meat (including fish) and eggs and also intended on never going back. At those times I called myself a vegetarian. Now I just say I'm trying to stick the healthiest diet possible. I just didn't want you to think that i'm that jerk that's like, "I'm a vegetarian so I'll get the salmon" at a restaurant.</div><div>
    </div><div>Your second sentence reminds me of "meatless Monday" at my old job's cafeteria. I would call it "meat as usual" Monday because, first of all, most of the stations still served a full array of meat. Even the fancy salads that had ingredients that you couldn't get at the salad bar, <span style="font-size:11px;">like avocado,</span><span style="font-size:11px;"> all had chicken in them. The one station that was supposed to be meatless often served fish and things cooked in chicken stock.</span></div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    Thanks for the insight ladies! I think I'll definitely try it out, and see how it goes. We just bought a ton of salmon and chicken and ground turkey, though...so I may finish up what we have on hand before trying it 100%.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_pescetarianism?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:de4a2e31-ad6d-4d13-9fbe-e63c8c63b5b6Post:ac793f4f-625d-4d1f-8f69-0520b7552dde">Re: Pescetarianism?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pescetarianism? : I know you weren't directing this toward me, but I just wanted to say that I don't call myself a vegetarian when I have reverted back to eating fish. For example, for a year until about 2 weeks ago I didn't each fish and intended never to again. Before that I had another 2 year period where I gave up all meat (including fish) and eggs and also intended on never going back. At those times I called myself a vegetarian. Now I just say I'm trying to stick the healthiest diet possible. I just didn't want you to think that i'm that jerk that's like, "I'm a vegetarian so I'll get the salmon" at a restaurant. Your second sentence reminds me of "meatless Monday" at my old job's cafeteria. I would call it "meat as usual" Monday because, first of all, most of the stations still served a full array of meat. Even the fancy salads that had ingredients that you couldn't get at the salad bar,  like avocado,  all had chicken in them. The one station that was supposed to be meatless often served fish and things cooked in chicken stock.
    Posted by AndreaJulia[/QUOTE]

It definitely wasn't directed at you!  I was just speaking generally :)

And that sounds like the worst Meatless Monday ever.  What a joke!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hahaha this thread kinda cracks me up.. We're like.. 
    sounding off a heirarchy of " ____-tarians"

I want to be vegan but eat fish.. Not a pesca.. I don't want dairy or eggs. 
    Just fish. 
    lol
    Unfortunately fishing/farming is just as damaging to the environment -__- *le sigh* 

heather, jc, are you lacto/ovo? or just lacto? I don't think I have ever met a vegetarian that is just lacto or just ovo, so was just wondering. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_pescetarianism?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:de4a2e31-ad6d-4d13-9fbe-e63c8c63b5b6Post:8f1adb3b-e745-4ca9-a278-c09ba89e26a6">Re: Pescetarianism?</a>:
    [QUOTE]heather, jc, are you lacto/ovo? or just lacto? I don't think I have ever met a vegetarian that is just lacto or just ovo, so was just wondering. 
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

I am lacto/ovo.  I am trying to cut down on my dairy intake since I am lactose intolerant, but I love cheese and ice cream.  I very rarely eat eggs.  I don't think I will ever be 100% plant based though. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Dairy is suuuper hard to cut down on..And it's not even because of loving cheese and ice cream. Even if you hated those things, it's how milk/whey/casein is hidden in fa-freaking everything. Drives me CRAZY. It's a hard thing to cut out completely. -__- It took a good few months of random errors and research to figure it out. bleh.

How strict are you with added animal-based things like D3? Do you look for that stuff? 
    Just curious. I never get to talk to a "real' vegetarian. My girlfriends that are pescatarians both love everything leather so... I know they don't even think about little things like that to bother asking. lol
  • Options
    lovelyheatherlovelyheather member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited April 2013
    I feel like I must be a terrible vegetarian because I am not sure what D3 is...off to research.

That being said, I try to only buy cheeses made without animal rennet, but I don't stress about this at restaurants.  I also don't eat gelatin, which is in so many unnecessary things (hello, poptarts should be vegetarian!).

ETA: so Vitamin D2 vs D3?  I need to do a bit more research.  My calcium supplements contain D3, so I might end up switching those out.  I try to clean things like this out of my diet, but I don't necessarily spend a lot of time researching hidden animal products. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Apple Cinnamon, Blueberry, Brown Sugar Cinnamon, and Strawberry pop tarts WITHOUT frosting are vegan! So there ya go! lol

vitamin D. It's added to a lot of things from vitamins to cereal, and it's from animal skin if it's D3 (D2 is safe)  
  • Options
    Ugh I am so grossed out right now.  It looks like some D3 might be sourced from wool, which I would probably be okay with.  But if it is from fish oil, definitely not okay. 

"If a label lists 'vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol)' then it is from wool oil. This is considered a vegetarian source (the animal is not harmed, just sheared), but not vegan. Fish liver oil will be in parentheses if it is the source."

My calcium supplements don't specify which source...ugh.  Thank you so much for the heads up on this.  I literally had no idea.  Any calcium supplement recs? Bonus points if the have D2!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    oooohohhhh interesting.. I have never seen that discription before! I just always found that it was pretty much always from animal skin, usually fish. Good to know that it should be in parenth though! haha Sorry -__- 

Nah, I don't take a calcium supplement so I'm useless with that. Sorry. I eat a loooot of greens, nuts, quinoa, and legumes. A lot. I have never struggled with calcium. 
    here's a good list of stuff if you're interested in figuring out what you probably get daily from your diet as is: 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards