Getting in Shape
Options

Soul Searching (long-ish)

Hey everyone - sorry I've been MIA this week (thanks for looking for me, xcal!). First off, our home internet has been dismal. When FI called (yet) again to complain about it, he was told the issue should be resolved in JUNE! We've had no internet here for four days, and I have minimal right now (which is almost worse, since I've been getting my hopes up for a connection, and when I start to feel confident about doing things like shopping, it craps out again).

Anywho ...

Here's what I've learned in my absence:
- I miss you guys!!!
- I ate like crap (we're talking chips and dip, chocolate, soft drinks, fast food, cookies ...) and my weight hasn't changed a bit
- I did one workout (60 minutes on the elliptical), and did about 6 hours of snowmobiling, and my energy levels are pretty normal, but I'm not sure what to do with my free time
- my wedding is 19 weeks from today

I'm also not so sure that I'll have a job in the fall... Our provincial budget came down last week, and they were nasty. Decided to create one school board for the entire province (well, one English and one French), so they're closing a bunch of offices, and all the people in those offices will be looking for jobs in schools too ... Trying not to stress about that too much, since the good thing about my job is that no one really wants it ... I will also be able to substitute again if necessary, and I know that my current school will 'look after me' in that regard.

So, the bottom line is that I have 19 weeks (ideally 14, because I'd like to be in maintenance by the beginning of the summer, since we have two trips planned). I have 22lbs to go, so in theory it should be doable. (But then again, I wanted to be at my goal NOW, and be maintaining instead of starting over yet again).

Clearly the issue is my food. It has to be. I know that I need more protein in my diet, so I guess it's time to look at powders again. I ordered a copy of NROL and a new JM kickboxing dvd this morning, and will begin walking to work again next week, if the weather cooperates. I've limited my gluten because of the intolerance, so the bloating seems to be under control, and bought a new water bottle to help with consumption during work. My tiny bladder will always be an issue there though - not sure how I'll manage that yet.

I will start tracking again, and seriously work on eating clean (or at least cleaner - I have to start somewhere). I will go back into the scary weight room at work once i get the book, and be careful in there. There's no reason I can't do what I need to do in there, even if the equipment is iffy. I have enough experience to be safe in there.

I need to make this happen. Now. Enough is enough.

Look out ladies, the b!tch is back, and now she's angry!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Soul Searching (long-ish)

• Options
    jenny - missed you lady!!  and you sound 100% ready to kick butt.  if nothing else you've motivated me as i've been suffering similar frustration!!  thanks!!

kwith - are you willing to share the body fat calculator you got.  i think it might be a good idea for me as well.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_soul-searching-long-ish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:f187fc5b-dd6d-48ea-a7b4-e9b53cce7688Post:0a604660-5477-4baf-8688-02b8523cd5d0">Re: Soul Searching (long-ish)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your sign-off made me laugh.  I had missed you this week as well, and hoped that things were on track. 1.  I think you'll love NROL.  I've really enjoyed Stage 1 and found the advice on diet helpful.  Though I've also been unwilling to give up my cardio, so I've modified it some for my needs. 2.  Do you have a way to calculate your body fat?  You've been doing so much good things that I can't believe you haven't at least lost body fat.  I bought a $30 body fat calculator just last week and it makes me feel a bit better. 3. 19 weeks is going to go so fast!  Are you getting excited?
    Posted by kwitherington[/QUOTE]

<div>1. Yeah, I've heard lots of good things about it, and I did enjoy strength training when I used to have a regular routine and gym access. I'm looking forward to the new challenge of it, and the kickboxing dvd will break things up. i don't want to give up cardio either, it's important for me to keep it up because of the hiking and snowmobiling we do.</div><div>
    </div><div>2. Nope. Just tracking my weight and measurements, and neither have changed in a very long time. And since our only real sports store burned down, I'm bummed that I'm going to have to order everything online now, instead of walking out of a store with a product. Plus, the bike I really want to buy is only available on the other side of the province,, but I think that when I get my income tax back, I might call them and ask to get it flown up. No other bike I've seen is as nice as this one, and I'd really get to use it here. If I wait until this summer, I'll miss out on most of the season.</div><div>
    </div><div>3. Yup, the invites are sitting on the bed in the spare room, ready to be addressed, DD's dress finally arrived... It's too big, which was the plan, and since she grows so damn fast, I know that I won't have many alterations to do this summer. I am excited - there's so much left to do, but at least I feel like it's time to start doing them, kwim? It's still surreal at times - I certainly never thought I'd find someone again and be planning a wedding, but here we are. I had given up on the notion of finding someone and was content just taking care of the kids, when FI and I struck up a friendship. Two years of being friends and six weeks left of a summer, and we decided to give it a try, instead of complaining to each other why we weren't in relationships. And here we are!</div><div>
    </div><div>I love how excited FI is; and it's really odd little things too. Every now and then he'll ask if we can do something at the wedding, out of the blue. He wants to do the garter toss - that's fine with me ... he wants to know if he should match the bridesmaids or not - he can if he wants, or he can pick another colour from the accent ones, it's up to him... he thinks our first dance should be the Clash - not so much ... I'm having lots of fun planning things with him.</div><div>
    </div><div>The biggest bummer is that I can't seem to get anyone at Fibi and Clio to answer an email. I want their sandals, but they don't want my business. And with the internet being what it is, every time I try to place a flower order, the supplier runs out of something that I need and I have to recalculate everything again... *sigh</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    No worries, thread jack away... 

I'll check out that link too! Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jenny...its so ironic that you wrote this post because it is pretty much exactly what I was going to write too!!

I think we are a week difference in weddings (is yours the 17th of August? Ours is the 10th!) I have 13ish pounds that I want to loose before then!! My quick background: have lost 65+ lbs. over the past 6 years...most recently almost 30lbs. in the past year...have been able to keep it off pretty well...even after being in grad school and eating like CRAP pretty often...I am good about working out (I run, lift, etc. but I think I need to change something up/lift more often) and I am very similar to you...its my food habits more than anything.

But really...grad school + 2 jobs + events chair on an executive board + wedding planning + immigration paperwork (FI isn't American) + trying to loose 13 lbs. = stress eating right?!?!?

Anyway...I am in your same boat girlie so let's motivate each other?? :)
  • Options
    Hi Andrea!

Nope, we're wedding twins!

Originally I lost about 30lbs, but that was when I was going through a depression/divorce. I was going to the gym and eating reasonably well (but pretty similarly to how I eat now - hence the confusion). I've been hanging around here since last August, when FI proposed, and have enjoyed the company of these awesome ladies since then.

I want to lose 22 more (give or take). I know that I'll never be 110lbs or anything, but I just want to get rid of the fat and be comfortable in my own skin. Right now my stomach is my biggest trouble spot, and I know that 'abs are made in the kitchen', so it's time to fix that too.

A pound a week is doable (they say), but my track record has proven otherwise. I'm regrouping and getting serious now.

Nice to virtually meet you! What's your graduate work in?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jenny,

Nice to virtually meet you too!! I love that we are wedding twins! (August 10, great date!!)

Ugh, I hate that "abs are made in the kitchen" statement but I know that it is SOOOOO true!! My stomach is my weak spot too...but I am most likely wearing a strapless dress so now I am worried about arms/back as well!! Eeeeeeeek!!

Maybe we could keep in touch via email and try to stay on track together?

I am getting a Masters in Public Health at Emory in Atlanta! You are a teacher right?
  • Options
    Jenny, I'm glad you're back :) I have been thinking about you! You are gonna kick some serious @ss with that attitude, and I am going to be happy to watch you do it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If anyone can do it Jenny, YOU CAN!

I believe in you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards