Getting in Shape

Runners and anyone looking for a goal this fall...

The lottery for the NYC Marathon opens tomorrow! 

Please, join me for a very exciting 26.2 miles through the 5 boroughs of NYC.  This race is beginner-friendly (time limit is 7.5 hours) and draws runners of all ages and levels. 

When I started running in 2004, I couldn't even run to catch the bus without stopping.  I used a beginner training plan (through Team in Training who raise money for Leukemia & Lymphoma research) and the run/walk method to cross my first finish line in 6 hours and 3 minutes.  Believe me, anyone can do it provided you have the time and put in the effort. 

The only thing is, this is a freakin expensive race.  But it's a lot of fun.  And I would love virtual training partners.  Here is the link with more information:

http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/thankyou_and_updates.htm

Re: Runners and anyone looking for a goal this fall...

• GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2013
    I think they are still doing this...if you enter the lottery 3 times and don't get in, you'll get guaranteed entry the 4th year.  And, if you get in but don't run, you can defer your entry as well.  

How's the ankle?  Is it your shoes? 

• lovelyheatherlovelyheather member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited April 2013
    It's the day after my wedding, so I don't think that would quite work out :)  Once I do my half on June 2, I am probably going to find a fall half to sign up for.  I want to make sure this first one goes alright before I start committing to a second.

@Lia I am also hoping to run a full marathon before I am 30.  I'm 27 so I have a couple years to make it happen. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I will be there already, as a non-runner, cheering on my best friend!  So you'll run by me! :)
    Anniversary
  • <div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_runners-and-anyone-looking-for-a-goal-this-fall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:fa74c9c6-8df3-4822-be48-b18c303e3833Post:81f12eac-1f55-4580-988d-d93647696f5d">Re: Runners and anyone looking for a goal this fall...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't have the funds to do the marathon :-( Another question for you runners: where do you find races to sign-up for? I like NEVER know about 5k, 10k, half-marathons, or marathons until they are upon us. I usually hear about them the Monday before they happen or the Monday after. Is there some site you use or something like that? I want to run more 5k races and build up to a half-marathon (maybe a full marathon eventually), but I have no idea where to find out what is coming up and when.
    Posted by xcalygrl[/QUOTE]

I use Running in the USA, Active.com, Runner's World and Halfmarathons.net to find races.  RintheUSA is really good, but a lot of times they update them as they go so you have to keep checking back.  Also, ifyou have any local running clubs nearby, many times they will have a list of races on their website.  </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_runners-and-anyone-looking-for-a-goal-this-fall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:fa74c9c6-8df3-4822-be48-b18c303e3833Post:0af7a6b3-8710-4ba8-aba8-75d87408b4d4">Re: Runners and anyone looking for a goal this fall...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I will be there already, as a non-runner, cheering on my best friend!  So you'll run by me! :)
    Posted by Lobsters25[/QUOTE]

YAY!  I don't know if I will have many fans this year, so I'm glad to know there will be at least one. 
  • @xcal I just google city and/or state and the event I am looking to run (so "Michigan Half marathon").  Then start going through the results until I find something that I want.  I've also signed up for events through active.com, so I search on that site for races too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @xcaly - oh good!  So glad you found a good website that is local to you.  It's helpful for the times when you aren't training for anything and just want to wake up and run a race that weekend. 

@kwith...... I have a feeling you will be my running partner... just saying... the lottery loves out of state people.  You can stay near us and H can drive us to the 5:00am bus... not that I'm planning ahead or anything. 
  • In Response to Re: Runners and anyone looking for a goal this fall...:
    [QUOTE@kwith...... I have a feeling you will be my running partner... just saying... the lottery loves out of state people.  You can stay near us and H can drive us to the 5:00am bus... not that I'm planning ahead or anything. 
    Posted by Giaspo[/QUOTE]

Um, or I can drive you guys in since H and I are driving into the city anyway (we're staying overnight the night of the race since we plan on day drinking during it.)  GIS CARPOOL.
    Anniversary
  • Running a marathon is on my bucket list. I'm a casual runner so I have alot to work up to.  And with my fractured ankle (cast is coming off next monday on the 29th woohoo!!!) its going to take even longer to get back into a casual running mentality.

I live close by so hopefully I'll be there to cheer you on!!
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards