Favors
Options

Has anyone made custom CD's for favors?

My fiance and I are big music fans and we wanted to make a custom CD with our image on it. Has anyone had experience doing this and if so, how much did it cost?

Re: Has anyone made custom CD's for favors?

• Options
    I'm pretty sure it's actually illegal to do this (unless you write all the songs on them). Copyright infringement.
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_has-anyone-made-custom-cds-for-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:119cc2ec-a467-49ca-91dc-d37f5097961aPost:063f172b-2d36-455e-b276-9a34eeea84a4">Re: Has anyone made custom CD's for favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm pretty sure it's actually illegal to do this (unless you write all the songs on them). Copyright infringement.
    Posted by jessicadall[/QUOTE]

<div>In addition to this, I don't know anyone who still listens to CDs.  All hookups in the car, at home, etc are done through iPods or other devices.</div>
  • Options

This is from the Recording Industry Association of America's website:

Copying CDs

• It’s okay to copy music onto an analog cassette, but not for commercial purposes.
    • It’s also okay to copy music onto special Audio CD-R’s, mini-discs, and digital tapes (because royalties have been paid on them) – but, again, not for commercial purposes.
    • Beyond that, there’s no legal "right" to copy the copyrighted music on a CD onto a CD-R. However, burning a copy of CD onto a CD-R, or transferring a copy onto your computer hard drive or your portable music player, won’t usually raise concerns so long as: 
      • The copy is made from an authorized original CD that you legitimately own
      • The copy is just for your personal use. It’s not a personal use – in fact, it’s illegal – to give away the copy or lend it to others for copying.
    • The owners of copyrighted music have the right to use protection technology to allow or prevent copying.
    • Remember, it’s never okay to sell or make commercial use of a copy that you make.

So, yes it is illegal, and as pp posted, who listens to CD's anymore?
  • Options
    Andplusalso, nobody wants a mix of music that YOU like. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    The 90's called.  They want their wedding favors back.
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • Options
    Wow! What mean replies. I'd love to see what glamorous & spectacular favors all of you come up with that people can judge
  • Options
    How on earth is it mean to point out that this idea is illegal and probably not a good idea for other reasons as well?

• Options

Wow! What mean replies. I'd love to see what glamorous & spectacular favors all of you come up with that people can judge

It's not mean at all to prevent someone from doing something that's a waste of money AND illegal.

Why did you feel the need to resurface a thread several months old and post no additional information?
  • Options
    JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2013
    Great first post!  

• Options
    I never actually saw this thread until you brought it back from the dead - but I have to agree that mixed CDs are outdated, illegal, and a waste of money. The OP would be better off spending her money on something else or simply saving it.

To answer your question, I didn't have favors. They're not necessary.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

I'm sort of on the fence about the CDs...I still listen to CDs in my car, but I'm not sure I'd like the songs on one from a wedding?

And seriously with the illegal thing? While technically yes it is illegal, I can't see someone going to a wedding, getting a CD as a favour and saying "OMG this is pirated! I'm reporting them!" I wouldn't worry about that...

• Options
    Majelin86 said:

I'm sort of on the fence about the CDs...I still listen to CDs in my car, but I'm not sure I'd like the songs on one from a wedding?

And seriously with the illegal thing? While technically yes it is illegal, I can't see someone going to a wedding, getting a CD as a favour and saying "OMG this is pirated! I'm reporting them!" I wouldn't worry about that...

Errrmmm. When mass-producing and distributing burned CDs, yes, they can very easily get into the wrong hands.

Why even risk it?
  • Options
    Majelin86 said:

And seriously with the illegal thing? While technically yes it is illegal, I can't see someone going to a wedding, getting a CD as a favour and saying "OMG this is pirated! I'm reporting them!" I wouldn't worry about that

Because that's the exact moment where someones "plus one" ends up being an FBI agent or something.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards