Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Photo list

Hello, I am having a friend of mine do my photography. She is a trianed photographer and takes wonderful photos! But she just recently graduated and has only done two other weddings, so she isn't well versed in all the shots that should be taken. I was just wondering if you guys know of a list of all the shots that are a must. I know the basics, like family photos and the like, but I am not a photographer and I know there are some that I would never think of. If someone could help me out, that would be great!
Thank you!

Re: Photo list

• There are a lot of websites with wedding photography lists if you google it. But I think you should figure out what shots are important to YOU, and write that list out yourself. I actually included some inspiration pictures with my list for my photographer. 
  • I think it's wonderful you have a friend willing to take your pictures but remember, there won't be any do-overs. When you are hiring a professional photographer you are hiring their experience as well. Photos were extremely important to me and I was not willing to gamble on it. I was spending enough on my wedding already to not capture it properly. 

That being said,  ask your friend to reach out to other wedding photographers. I know mine is always teaching and mentoring others. You can simply google: Wedding portrait shot list and you get a lot of responses. 
  • I think it's great that you are having your friend do your pictures.  Just because she is recently graduated doesn't mean she isn't good.  I've seen great photos from photographer's first weddings and bad ones from established studios-  experiance does count, but it doesn't say everything.  As long as you like the photos your friend takes, then go for it.

Photo lists are a great help to photographers of all levels of experience.  It's a good idea to look at some online for ideas and then make your own.  Everyone's families are different, and everyone wants slightly different pictures.  If there are any people in your family who don't like eachother or anything like that then it might be a good idea to let your photographer know.

Do you know someone else who knows your photographer friend who might be a good backup photographer?  A backup photographer goes around taking photos like the photographer, but usually is taking them from a slightly different angle.  Your backup photographer may not have as nice of a camera or be as good of a photographe but they might catch some things that your main photographer doesn't.  Your friend may also have someone they know from college who could do this.   You do not pay the backup nearly as much as the main photographer.  If you friend finds her own backup then she will probably pay the backup out of her pay.
  • Thank you all for your help and information! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards