Registry and Gift Forum
Options

BBB help! Gift went to wrong address

Hi all!  So we moved recently and I didn't update the address on my BBB registry (I thought I had), and the gift got sent to whoever lives at my old address.  I called order tracking and they said it's up to that person as to whether or not they return it or not, which I guess they have decided not to do!  Is there anyway short of knocking on their door and asking pretty please for my present (from my grandmother) back?  I know BBB is supposed to be really good at this stuff, but I also thought I would have mail forwarded to me--does this not count for packages?

Re: BBB help! Gift went to wrong address

• Options
    Sorry but this is your fault, so BBB really has no obligation to send the package to you.  Since you moved and didn't update your address, they would have had no way of knowing it was being sent to the wrong place.

I would call your old apartment/house and see if the person will kindly give you the gift back - tell them it is a wedding gift from your grandmother.  If that doesn't guilt them into doing the right thing, nothing will.  But BBB really isn't responsible here, and they shouldn't have to send you a second item simply because you forgot to update your address with them.

Mail forwarding is done by the apartment, post-office, etc.  If BBB shipped via UPS or FedEx you may not have had it forwarded automatically.  And frankly, counting on mail forwarding for ANYTHING is sort of a bad idea because it's often really slow and unreliable.  Make sure you've actively changed your address for everything you can think of - bills, any other wedding registries, subscriptions, etc. and then mail forwarding is to catch all the things you might have forgotten (eventually).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would push BBB to contact the shipper and see if the shipper was wrong to leave the package without verifying the identity of the recipient, which might be an issue if they required a signature. 

We had a few issues with shipping stuff.  In one instance, someone sent a gift from William Sonoma to our old address (I think it was sent via Fedex, not UPS).  WS immediately sent a new package to our new address, which we provided, and told us they assumed the initial package would eventually be returned to sender.  Fedex actually forwarded us the old one, and the WS employees were in a state of disbelief that we brought in one of the shipments to give back to them without trying to "return" it for credit.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_bbb-help-gift-went-to-wrong-address?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:2d73a7ed-4e8b-44a4-8e92-b933425748ecPost:e03f3a77-edf5-48db-aa3c-614c34b271b6">Re: BBB help! Gift went to wrong address</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry but this is your fault, so BBB really has no obligation to send the package to you.  Since you moved and didn't update your address, they would have had no way of knowing it was being sent to the wrong place. I would call your old apartment/house and see if the person will kindly give you the gift back - tell them it is a wedding gift from your grandmother.  If that doesn't guilt them into doing the right thing, nothing will.  But BBB really isn't responsible here, and they shouldn't have to send you a second item simply because you forgot to update your address with them. Mail forwarding is done by the apartment, post-office, etc.  If BBB shipped via UPS or FedEx you may not have had it forwarded automatically.  And frankly, counting on mail forwarding for ANYTHING is sort of a bad idea because it's often really slow and unreliable.  Make sure you've actively changed your address for everything you can think of - bills, any other wedding registries, subscriptions, etc. and then mail forwarding is to catch all the things you might have forgotten (eventually).
    Posted by hoffse[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks, that's what I figured.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_bbb-help-gift-went-to-wrong-address?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:2d73a7ed-4e8b-44a4-8e92-b933425748ecPost:4e7cc6be-9cdf-4a9c-a3b5-6bf56e90fb61">Re: BBB help! Gift went to wrong address</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would push BBB to contact the shipper and see if the shipper was wrong to leave the package without verifying the identity of the recipient, which might be an issue if they required a signature.  We had a few issues with shipping stuff.  In one instance, someone sent a gift from William Sonoma to our old address (I think it was sent via Fedex, not UPS).  WS immediately sent a new package to our new address, which we provided, and told us they assumed the initial package would eventually be returned to sender.  Fedex actually forwarded us the old one, and the WS employees were in a state of disbelief that we brought in one of the shipments to give back to them without trying to "return" it for credit.  
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't know about you but not one of my packages required a signature - and they were shipped from UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Even the china didn't require a signature. As such, these shippers have no obligation to verify the correct address.  And typically, parcels that require a signature need only a signature for delivery confirmation, not for address verification.  That's why my apartment manager or even my neighbor can sign for packages for me.  I don't think BBB is at fault here - they shipped it to the correct address they had on file.  It was nice that WS accommodated you, but they certainly didn't have to.  If they sent the package to an address the giver provided or an address you had provided, then they did nothing wrong.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_bbb-help-gift-went-to-wrong-address?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:2d73a7ed-4e8b-44a4-8e92-b933425748ecPost:520cd92d-0bc6-4b5e-b910-4a1956fbea69">Re: BBB help! Gift went to wrong address</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: BBB help! Gift went to wrong address : I don't know about you but not one of my packages required a signature - and they were shipped from UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Even the china didn't require a signature. As such, these shippers have no obligation to verify the correct address.  And typically, parcels that require a signature need only a signature for delivery confirmation, not for address verification.  That's why my apartment manager or even my neighbor can sign for packages for me.  I don't think BBB is at fault here - they shipped it to the correct address they had on file.  It was nice that WS accommodated you, but they certainly didn't have to.  If they sent the package to an address the giver provided or an address you had provided, then they did nothing wrong.
    Posted by hoffse[/QUOTE]

<div>I just think it's worth a try. I was also impressed that WS did that for us.  The mistake was the gift giver's (we didn't register at WS, and the address she had for us was out-of-date).  </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards