Registry and Gift Forum

How expensive is too expensive for casual china????

My FH and I are not interested in a "fine china" set but we are having a difficult time finding a set/style that we both really like as far as just casual china/everyday dinnerware, and we keep coming back to the Noritake Colorwave line, the turquoise bloom in particular. However, its around $40 per place setting, where a lot of other sets that seem nice are ~$70 for four settings.. I do not come from a wealthy family and my budget is tight so I don't get to shop very much for actual nice, matching things for my house, so I have no idea what is reasonable to put on my registry. Any thoughts/advice/etc.????

Re: How expensive is too expensive for casual china????

• I would just keep in mind that if you don't get all of what you ask for you'll either have to pay to complete  your registry, return what you got, or live with an incomplete set.  To me it makes the most sense to complete the set on your own with the completion discount, but then you should choose china that you can afford to buy yourself if necessary. 

• I think it really varies by crowd, but 40 seems reasonable to me and is a similar price point to our nice everyday set. The advice from PP about making sure you could complete it on your own is good. Personally, I am a student now so money is a bit tight, and I usually spend 40 to 60 on wedding gifts. Again, though, that's me and my crowd. Yours could be different.
  • First, I think $40/place setting is reasonable for something that is a quality brand, like Noritake. Second, where are you registering? Many stores mark up the original prices because they're always on sale. Macys is a good example of this - our fiesta is $51/place setting, but the current sale is buy 1 get 1 free, plus an extra 15% off - so only $22/place setting. And it is on some sale or another about 90% of the time. So if you're registered at Macys, or somewhere like BBB where there's always a 20% coupon, the actual cost to your guests could be a lot less.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I registered for Fiesta at $50 a place setting at Macy's. My family isn't wealthy either, but a lot of people jumped on it because there were such good sales at Macy's, making it the perfect price point for a shower gift. I say go for it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Considering you aren't getting any fine china, I htink you're fine.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I also did the fiesta at macy's - and 6/8 place settings were bought at $50 each instead of half price.

I personally think anything under $100/place setting for casual china (as long as it's REAL bone china) is fine.  I think $50 or less for porcelain or stoneware is also fine.  I'm probably in the minority on that, but my view comes ffrom having a hobby of collecting china and knowing price points for various brands and materials.

We got all of our casual dinnerware and virtually all of our fine china.  I think at $40/place setting you are likely to get almost all of it.  If not, though, you do need to be wililng to complete it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_how-expensive-is-too-expensive-for-casual-china?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:a57940db-5ee1-4c6b-9fbc-65c4c0466c03Post:6474d391-8d4d-4c62-be91-1ad98a431bd7">Re: How expensive is too expensive for casual china????</a>:
    [QUOTE]Considering you aren't getting any fine china, I think you're fine.
    Posted by sydaries[/QUOTE]

<div>This. $40 a place setting is really reasonable for a better everyday dinnerware, and it will last you a lot longer than the cheaper dinnerware.</div><div>
    </div><div>As a side note, I LOVE the Turquoise Bloom dinnerware! It hasn't come out when we registered, and when I saw it in the store a few months after our wedding I fell in love with it! I wish it had been out when we registered. So long story short, you should def register for it. :)</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards