Offbeat Weddings

Non-wedding feel reception

hey there, I'm trying to think of some awesome ideas for a ceremony and/or reception.  I've already been married, did the traditional.  Everyone came to the reception, ate and left!  By the time the party started there was no one there.  SO....how do I make this fun?  I've been to so many weddings over the years and they are all the same.  Ok yes you have different colors and centerpieces...but it's still the same routine.  Get what I"m saying??
How do I get my guests having a great time and not wanting to leave?? 

Re: Non-wedding feel reception

• disco balls? I don't really understand your question. There are families/social groups that are fun. They have fun. No matter what the circumstances. Add alcohol and some playful environment and they have more fun. There are people who won't let loose no matter how trashed you get them and no matter what the environment is like. You may have friends/family in the second category, and then, well....?

If you want the reception to be a party, make it like a party. Make it at night. Make it have lots of alcohol. Make it fast paced to get to the food and drinks. Make the venue feel like a dance-appropriate environment. Have a legit dance floor. Have it be dark where people are mingling and brighter where they're dancing. If it feels like they're in a church reception hall they won't rock out as though they were in a night club. :-) Just my thoughts. 
  • Also you could have food stations instead of a sit on meal. If there are diff types of food all night at different locations it will get guests moving more. Just make sure every butt still has a seat!
  • thompson2311thompson2311 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2013
    I would say picking the right venue will be key, if you don't want a traditional reception don't have it at a traditional spot for wedding receptions! Try your favorite restaurant maybe instead of a country club for example...  or maybe a small boutique hotel near you? You can try a cocktail reception with lots and lots and lots of appetizers and drinks, instead of a traditional sit down meal.  You can also try doing the RSVP card with a "request a song" line on it so your guests can dance to something they really like, and they will be excited when it comes on.....  There are lots of little ways to make your reception your own, and very different from your first wedding.  Good luck and congrats!
  • Do something that is meaningful for you and your FI.  We're having a sit-down dinner, but we're also having carnival games available after dinner and several musician friends will be having a "jam session" of sorts during cocktails.  If you and your FI are wine or beer enthusiasts, consider doing a tasting menu with pairings- it's great conversaion.  A friend had a very small wedding (about 35 people) and basically did an outdoor cooking class.  While something like that may not be an option, go with the general idea :)  Anything interactive that engages guests-- games, fun photo ops, I've even seen a giant "paint by number" guest book-- is a safe bet for keeping the party going.  
  • We're doing an early afternoon reception with lawn games (corn hole, ladder golf, bocce, lawn darts, etc). We'll have a photo booth and guests will be asked to chalk the driveway instead of fill in a guest book.   We're having a beer tasting table and fun food at food stations spread throughout the venue. 
  • We're doing an early afternoon reception with lawn games (corn hole, ladder golf, bocce, lawn darts, etc). We'll have a photo booth and guests will be asked to chalk the driveway instead of fill in a guest book.   We're having a beer tasting table and fun food at food stations spread throughout the venue. 
    are you then planning on taking pictures of what everyone writes/draws on the driveway? i think that's an awesome idea, but i personally would want some type of documentation (like a guest book) so years later i would remember what people put! very interesting idea; i would love to see how it turns out! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • beachekbeachek member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2013
    we tried to go 'fun' and 'non-traditional' with our wedding reception. guess what? still turned out to be the same general flow as everyone else's. it's a wedding reception, don't try to make it into something it's not.
  • we're doing an outdoor ceremony and reception, same venue. late afternoon bbq buffet, cupcakes/cookies/pie, beer and wine, lawn games, cards, coloring books, photo scavenger hunt, and dancing. food, games and all to take place right after we finish pictures. instead of a set timeline and announcements of each thing thru-out the day, we're just making our grand entrance and then announcing help yourself to the food and have some fun. the music will be loud-ish all day, cutting out the father/daughter dance, bouquet toss, and all that. the DJ we hired works usually at a country bar and teaches line dancing, so we're going to have her show the crowd a few dances right after our first dance. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ok, here is a nice backward from usual idea:

Have the party sandwich the ceremony. I am thinking for myself that we could have the party as the sun is setting, thus still getting great photo ops with natural light. Serving drinks and food throughout, playing lawn games, etc. Then as the moon rises make a giant circle with all of the guests (standing) and surrounded by those tiki torches for lighting and keeping bugs away, then the abbreviated wedding party carries those lanterns. We make our custom vows/ceremony and party some more! 

Just a thought. But you can screw with the structure all you want, in the end as long as you sign on the dotted line, it will still result in you being married. Make it memorable, for you and your guests.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards