Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Cookie table question

So, I really want to have a cookie table, but my fiance really doesn't want to ask anyone to bake for it. We were going to order from a bakery. Well, my nephew, who is a very good baker, offered to make cookies. My fiance thinks that a "professional" bakery wouldn't want their cookies next to "unprofessional" cookies. I told him that as long as we pay the bakery, I really don't think they give a rat's behind whose cookies are next to theirs. Thoughts? Also, is it wrong to ask people to bake cookies, or wait for them to offer?

Re: Cookie table question

• Britt0412Britt0412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most family members feel like it's an honor to bake cookies for your wedding and it's definitely a time-honored tradition in this area. It's not a faux pas to mix homemade with bakery cookies. Show him this New York Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/16/dining/16cookies.html?pagewanted=all
  • teryan2321teryan2321 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! That helps a lot. It's not so much that we don't want to ask, but I feel that so many people are doing so much for us to begin with, I'd hate to ask them to do one more thing.
  • LilyWater09LilyWater09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Go for it and have both!  I do not think any real bakery is going to walk into your reception and go "OMG there is another person's cookies here too.  What a shame I have to set my cookies next to that.  What were these people thinking???  I mean my cookies are from a professional bakery and they have the audacity to bring in cookies from another bakery too or from a person's kitchen???"

Okay okay you get the point, but I was being sarcastic pretending the conversation for you.  Congrats on the semi-wedding-diva man!  My would have been like "so?"

• edited December 2011
    Yea...the cookie table is a time honored tradition around here. I'd be surprised if people in your families didn't offer to make cookies if they're from this region. If you want to go with a professional bakery fine, but I think baking cookies for weddings is pretty standard and welcome among the aunts, grandmas, mom types around her. And, who cares what the outside bakery thinks? You're paying them for their services. They're taking your check and running to the bank, not the other way around. 
    Married since May 12, 2012
  • edited December 2011
    So jealous of everyone who have people making cookies for them. I told my family and friends about the tradition and they were all like "why do people have cookies at weddings?" lol. They have never heard or seen such a thing. Then again, neither had I until I moved here....
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't ask people to bake for you - like anything wedding related (money for the wedding, showers, bachelorettes, etc) you should let them offer.

We are not local (nor are our families), so we're having a bakery do ours.  But we're buying some non-bakery cookies from our school, and I can tell you for a fact the bakery doesnt care.  They drop the cookies off at the venue, and leave.  If you are REALLY concerned about it, go pick up the cookies from the bakery yourself.  Then put their trays next to your friends' trays.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards