Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Top layer of the cake?

How many of you ladies actually saved the top of your cake for your 1st anniversary? I ask because I want to do cupcakes with a small top cake but would it be wrong if we used that to cut or should we just cut a cupcake? Totally confused!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Top layer of the cake?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_top-layer-of-the-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:39489320-e3da-4b7a-89d4-02fe4e7e9220Post:eb355de4-e62d-4052-9890-b6c5cf8e4631">Top layer of the cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How many of you ladies actually saved the top of your cake for your 1st anniversary? I ask because I want to do cupcakes with a small top cake but would it be wrong if we used that to cut or should we just cut a cupcake? Totally confused!
    Posted by kasiereno[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>We took the top layer home and ate most of it over the days following the wedding.  We saved 2 slices to eat on our first anny.

</div>
  • Options
    We did. We actually ate it at our anniversary party 2 weeks ago.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We saved the top layer and ate it on our first anniversary. It actually tasted delicious still!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    We didn't save it for very long. My mom put the leftovers in the freezer for us, and we ate it within a week of returning from our HM!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_top-layer-of-the-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:39489320-e3da-4b7a-89d4-02fe4e7e9220Post:37b2a40f-b8d6-4802-b003-1bb91f2d44d1">Re: Top layer of the cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We just had non-wedding specific cakes (saving us a TON of $) and skipped the customary "cutting."  Here's a picture of our cake table: We didn't save any, but plan to order a fresh one on our anniversary.  :)
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

<div>I love this idea! I'm going to bring it up with my fiance' tomorrow.</div>
  • Options
    We had cupcakes with a small top tere.  We cut into the top tier and and then boxed the rest up to save.  Once home my Mom cut the top tier into slices and wrapped them in cling wrap and placed the slices into freezer bags.

When H and I got home from our HM we spent the next week eating the rest of our cake.  We would take a slice or two out of the freezer a day to eat for dessert that night.  But we love cake and there would have been no way we could have gone a full year without eating it.

So for our first anniversary we just went to where we got out cupcakes/cake from and order 6 cupcakes in the flavors that we had at our wedding.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_top-layer-of-the-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:39489320-e3da-4b7a-89d4-02fe4e7e9220Post:c629050e-a3bf-4b10-9aed-848749dce855">Re: Top layer of the cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How did you preserve the cake before you put it in the freezer? Did it still taste good? I would like to save some of our cake, not sure how to do it.
    Posted by Ctexasgurl26[/QUOTE]

Our venue wrapped it up for us.  The cake actually tasted great. The frosting was another story.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    we just saved a few slices of the top portion. Top tier was a decent size since we only had a 3 tier cake & we would have lost too much freezer space.
  • Options
    My venue wrapped it in plastic wrap, then I put about 5 layers of aluminum foil around that and stuck it in the back corner of the freezer.  We just ate it a few weeks ago and it was as delicious as our first bites at the reception!  We also kept it in the fridge and were able to eat a slice per night until it was gone.  We had a buttercream icing on the outside and it still tasted delicious too.
  • Options
    We didn't save it because we get a free cake on our anniversary from the bakery. If we didn't get this, we would have saved part of the small cake we used for cutting. We also did a cupcake tree topped with a small cake.
  • Options
    we saved it then forgot about it.

• Options
    We cut our tier into as many pieces as we could and are having a piece each month on our anniversary, along with some champagne.  We got 8 pieces and one slice of grooms cake left.

• Options
    I know this is an old thread, but a friend who also runs a bakery on the side explained how to preserve the cake. First put it in the freezer overnight until its solid. Then wrap it in multiple layers of plastic wrap, making sure to pull it as tight as possible. then wrap in foil. Air is the enemy when it comes to freezing, and a properly stored cake is just as good on your anniversary as it is when the bakery originally thawed it out for your wedding.
  • Options
    My cake included a replica first layer cake on our 1 year anniversary
  • Options

kasiereno , what did you end up doing?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards