Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Not doing a bouquet toss....ideas for what to do with the bouquet?

I'm not a fan of bouquet tosses, or garter tosses for that matter.  We are not doing them.  I entertained the idea of doing an anniversary dance (see thread a few down) in which the "winner" gets my bouquet, but FI great uncle passed away a month ago, and his great aunt is coming.  I feel this may be inappropriate for her.  We do not have any other losses in the families.  I don't really want to keep my bouquet, it's nice to sit in a vase I guess, but I'd rather see it given to someone.  Ideas?

June 1, 2013 - finally making it official!

Re: Not doing a bouquet toss....ideas for what to do with the bouquet?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_not-doing-a-bouquet-tossideas-for-what-to-do-with-the-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:5838269e-34e5-40dd-8dbe-92b3e5a950efPost:96a86634-c0cc-48bb-a289-b8fe76c16cb6">Not doing a bouquet toss....ideas for what to do with the bouquet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not a fan of bouquet tosses, or garter tosses for that matter.  We are not doing them.  I entertained the idea of doing an anniversary dance (see thread a few down) in which the "winner" gets my bouquet, but FI great uncle passed away a month ago, and his great aunt is coming.  I feel this may be inappropriate for her.  We do not have any other losses in the families.  I don't really want to keep my bouquet, it's nice to sit in a vase I guess, but I'd rather see it given to someone.  Ideas?
    Posted by Shannon1401[/QUOTE]

If you really don't want to keep it you could just give it to someone when you leave for the night.
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Well, if you give it to someone, they aren't going to keep it either.

Mine was so beat up by the end of the night (I carried it around everywhere) so it went in the trash.

It's okay to not be attached sentimentally to your bouquet.
  • Options

I stuck mine in water where it lived for a few more days.

Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_not-doing-a-bouquet-tossideas-for-what-to-do-with-the-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:5838269e-34e5-40dd-8dbe-92b3e5a950efPost:cd2ed197-430d-4693-8ade-c1e6048defc5">Re: Not doing a bouquet toss....ideas for what to do with the bouquet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I sent mine home to my paternal grandmother who was physically unable to travel for the wedding.  She had it a few days, and then sprinkled the flowers on my dad's grave.
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

This is really adorable.  Maybe I'll take mine to my grandparents graves.  I like this.

• Options
    I got a free toss bouquet from my florist, and I didn't do a toss. I gave the toss bouquet to the "winner" of the Anniversary Dance, which happened to be H's beloved aunt. She was very touched. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_not-doing-a-bouquet-tossideas-for-what-to-do-with-the-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:5838269e-34e5-40dd-8dbe-92b3e5a950efPost:9655862c-18ea-4042-a53a-c3c59695e3e8">Re: Not doing a bouquet toss....ideas for what to do with the bouquet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got a free toss bouquet from my florist, and I didn't do a toss. I gave the toss bouquet to the "winner" of the Anniversary Dance, which happened to be H's beloved aunt. She was very touched. 
    Posted by daria24[/QUOTE]

I don't mind the anniversary dance, but like I said, we have a recent death in the family and I do not want to upset anyone.  Most of the family seems to think she wouldn't be upset as FI grandparents have been married longer anyway, but I'm still very conscious about this.  I'm not sure how it may come across to her.

• Options
    I kept mine in a vase a few days until it was basically dead, pulled one flower out of it to put in our "story of us" box, and then threw the rest out.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    We kept ours in a vase for almost 2 weeks.  I enjoyed it every day and once it died I threw it out.   
  • Options
    My mother had ivy in her bouquet. After the wedding, she rooted it and planted it. 33 years later, she still has it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_not-doing-a-bouquet-tossideas-for-what-to-do-with-the-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:5838269e-34e5-40dd-8dbe-92b3e5a950efPost:960acf59-3c3a-4780-bacf-2b4a0c93664a">Re: Not doing a bouquet toss....ideas for what to do with the bouquet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My mother had ivy in her bouquet. After the wedding, she rooted it and planted it. 33 years later, she still has it.
    Posted by efmcc67[/QUOTE]

<div>This is the best thing I have ever heard! How awesome!</div>
  • Options
    The ivy is a WONDERFUL idea!  Wow!  I LOVE IT.

I decided against real flowers, but if I was going to use them, I probably would have just done the toss with my bouquet.  I LOVE the idea of an anniversary dance, but since my parents are recently divorced, and they would have had their 36th shortly after my wedding, I feel like that would have been a huge slap in the face.  I know that real flowers won't last no matter what, but for me, I hate seeing flowers die.  Seeing my wedding bouquet dry up and wilt would make me very sad, and I don't want to see that.  I'd only want to see my bouquet at it's best!  I guess I'm a little emotional over these types of things :)
  • Options
    Give it to the venue where your wedding is taking place?
  • Options
    When I was in 1st grade, in the fall, we gathered wild flowers in the field near the playground with our teacher.  We then dried the flowers between sheets of wax paper, in between pages of the encyclopedia.  I think the 1st grade teacher did this every year, and had an old set. Anyway.  In the spring, the flowers were flat and dried, and we took them out.  We used elmer's glue to glue them onto construction paper, and wrote messages in marker. The teacher laminated these, and we cut them out to make bookmarks for Mother's Day.
  • Options
    I don't mind throwing it out....I just wanted some use to come of it.  Both of my grandparents are deceased, I think this would be nice to go and visit them.  I hadn't thought of it, thank you for the idea!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_not-doing-a-bouquet-tossideas-for-what-to-do-with-the-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:5838269e-34e5-40dd-8dbe-92b3e5a950efPost:ff6e1f6f-3e2e-4e94-a2ee-bae9bc582dfe">Re: Not doing a bouquet toss....ideas for what to do with the bouquet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had mine freeze dried, so we could make a creepy-looking specimen out of it.
    Posted by Harry87[/QUOTE]

Oooh, tell me more! I'm thinking about doing this? Possibly.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    you can turn them into beads... 
  • Options
         My Mother in Law took them home hung the bouquet up side down in the garage for 2 months to allow every flower to dry naturally then took it apart and arranged it in a beautiful silver ice bucket ( looks great on our kitchen island ) now when I dont want them any more I can toss the flowers & have a cool ice bucket for our bar ... the flowers kept alot of their color& now 5 months after the wedding still look brilliant ..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards