Wedding Reception Forum
Options

food ideas

we are having an oudoor wedding and parital outdoor and indoor reception at the same venue which is a house and it will be all appetizers.

I am having a kitchen helper/server.

we are thinking of things that we can serve on platters on display and things that can be served.  Some we are making ahead and our selves some we are having catered
I am wondering if this all sounds like a good balance?

here are our ideas:
Plattered:
sushi
tenderloin with slider buns and sauces (make ahead)
prawns on ice with dips
smoked salmon and dips and bread
humous and crackers
marinated mushrooms
thai turkey meatballs with chutney (make ahead freeze and cook from frozen)

served:
wamred phyllo appetizers
capresse skwers with balsamic glaze (make myself)
from the catering company:
Belgian Endive Leaves stuffed w Cream cheese, Gorgonzola & Toasted Walnuts, Wild Honey (cold)Cedar Planked Mini Dungeness Crab Cakes w/ Horseradish Aioli (Heated)Thai Chicken Sates w/ Zesty Coconut Dipping Sauce (Heated)Jerked Roast Pork Tenderloin w/ Jamaican Apple Chutney & Toasted Baguette (cold)

Re: food ideas

• Options
    Um, all of this sounds AMAZING to me. I know others, though, aren't always as open to such "adventurous" foods, so I would also recommend providing plates of fruits, crackers, and cheeses (maybe an awesome local [Wisconsin?!] cheddar, triple creme or brie, and a manchego or goat cheese?).
  • Options
    That sounds like so much delicious food.
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I think the kicker here is what time your wedding and reception are being held. Is it during a non-meal time? If not, this wouldn't be enough to constitue a meal for a majority of people.

I don't really see my DH as a picky eater, but he would maybe only eat 2 of these items (tenderloin sliders and phyllo appetizers).

I'd try the majority of the items, but it wouldn't be enough for a meal.
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2013
    I think the menu sounds great.  I don't think it's too adventurous at all.   You have crab cakes, beef sliders, shrimp, chicken on a stick, tomato and mozz on a stick, pork, etc. 

Although I agree,  you might want to add some more veggie options.   Sushi should have Cali rolls or something else vegetarian.

ETA - time of day is needed to say if it's enough food overall.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_food-ideas-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:c759aa64-cbfd-44e9-b342-1d0ef383ed74Post:91c2448a-a2d5-469c-8d89-5f77727d4931">food ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]we are having an oudoor wedding and parital outdoor and indoor reception at the same venue which is a house and it will be all appetizers. I am having a kitchen helper/server. we are thinking of things that we can serve on platters on display and things that can be served.  Some we are making ahead and our selves some we are having catered I am wondering if this all sounds like a good balance? here are our ideas: Plattered: sushi tenderloin with slider buns and sauces (make ahead) prawns on ice with dips smoked salmon and dips and bread humous and crackers marinated mushrooms thai turkey meatballs with chutney (make ahead freeze and cook from frozen) served: wamred phyllo appetizers capresse skwers with balsamic glaze (make myself) from the catering company: Belgian Endive Leaves stuffed w Cream cheese, Gorgonzola & Toasted Walnuts, Wild Honey (cold) Cedar Planked Mini Dungeness Crab Cakes w/ Horseradish Aioli (Heated) Thai Chicken Sates w/ Zesty Coconut Dipping Sauce (Heated) Jerked Roast Pork Tenderloin w/ Jamaican Apple Chutney & Toasted Baguette (cold)
    Posted by shaneollenberger[/QUOTE]

how do you plan to keep all of the DIY fish/poultry etc... at proper temperature? i'd stay far away from that as a guest.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_food-ideas-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:c759aa64-cbfd-44e9-b342-1d0ef383ed74Post:1d8e1f2b-dbea-4c27-ab4b-978dafb65da8">Re: food ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly, I think you have too much "specialty" food and not enough "regular" food.  A lot of people aren't very adventurous eaters, I'm one of them, so they may not want to try all of these things, or start trying some of them, have a couple of bad experiences in a row, then stop trying them.  YOur menu is also VERY meat/protein heavy.  Personally, I would add more fruits and veggies and cut back on some of the meats.   Also, if your wedding is during a meal time, remember you need to have a minimun of <strong>17-21 pieces per person.</strong>  And with a menu that is that refined, I would plan more like 25-35 pieces per person since you don't know what people will or won't eat. 
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

17-21?!?!!? Is that for a heavy appetizer meal? Or just for cocktail hour? I've not seen numbers like those before!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards