Wedding Reception Forum

Performance ideas

My soon to be husband and I are massively into the performing arts so we are both doing a performance at the reception. Since our wedding as a Disney theme I had this Enchanted themed performance ready. Two things happened though. 1. he guessed it and 2. my venue changed from my hometown Ft. lauderdale to his Tampa. My dance friends can't make it up that way so I had to axe the idea. I need a new one pronto so I can teach my bridesmaids. It has to be disney themed Lion Kig or Enchanted a plus!

Re: Performance ideas

• I vote no.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_performance-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:e85477e5-ab9b-462c-ae7c-35a5ddcfbcc5Post:4fde5d10-a8b8-49ec-9358-7c1baa0144de">Re: Performance ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]I vote no.
    Posted by Viczaesar[/QUOTE]

<div>Seconded. It always comes across as AWish when a bride or groom performs at their own wedding.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_performance-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:e85477e5-ab9b-462c-ae7c-35a5ddcfbcc5Post:5ddff8a8-7198-49d7-8026-93bf1de7a34c">Re: Performance ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Performance ideas : Seconded. It always comes across as AWish when a bride or groom performs at their own wedding.
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

This. And bridesmaids usually don't want to learn a special dance. Just have your first dance to a song from enchanted or something.
  • I think it's really sweet what you want to but I have to agree with PPs. Skip the choreographed BMs dance. If you want to do a special thing with your FH for your first dance by all means go for it but don't force your BMs to dance. Years ago when my aunt and uncle got married she tried to make me and her other BMs learn a dance. It was a disaster and we were miserable. Please don't do it.
  • agree with PPs-- me and my friends grew up competitive dancers and no way would we perform a bridesmaid dance.  Its cute when you are eight, not when you are grown adults.  You and FI can have a lovely dance together in your disney/enchanted theme but I would skip the bridal party dance. 

Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_performance-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:e85477e5-ab9b-462c-ae7c-35a5ddcfbcc5Post:cbbe3b4c-0c71-4d30-8b55-78f284a22889">Performance ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]My soon to be husband and I are massively into the performing arts so we are both doing a performance at the reception. Since our wedding as a Disney theme I had this Enchanted themed performance ready. Two things happened though. 1. he guessed it and 2. my venue changed from my hometown Ft. lauderdale to his Tampa. My dance friends can't make it up that way so I had to axe the idea. I need a new one pronto so I can teach my bridesmaids. It has to be disney themed Lion Kig or Enchanted a plus!
    Posted by angelnite22191[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Please don't.  It's a wedding, not a talent show.  People do not want to sit through performances.

</div>
  • Another vote not to do this. Weddings aren't a place to show off you performance skills
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_performance-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:e85477e5-ab9b-462c-ae7c-35a5ddcfbcc5Post:ab295c3d-3d35-49ee-b129-134bf2560537">Re:Performance ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]Another vote not to do this. Weddings aren't a place to show off you performance skills
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This.  I am a professional musician- people keep asking why I'm not performing at the wedding.  My answer is this: "Performing is my job.  This is my wedding, not a job."  My FI has seen me perform a million times as have most of the guests- the wedding is neither the time nor the place.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'll add this, none my musician friends have ever performed at their weddings (although they've have some smashing musical entertainment).  Not trying to sound witchy, but usually amateurs feel the need to perform at their wedding because they are looking for places to show off their skills.

</div>

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Angelnite--I think it would be super cute if you surprised FI with a Disney/Enchanted song for your first dance together.  Or use an upbeat song to bring everyone onto the dance floor after your spotlight dances--that's what we've decided to do with one of my favorite songs.  You can always surprise FI with a Disney themed groom's cake Disney cufflinks if he's wearing a tux.  
  • I think it depends on who your friends are.... I will say that when I have seen this it went well and honestly the wedding party LOVED it vs everyone talking and looking board as say the bride and groomed danced.  I think it just depends on your audience.  I don't see nothing wrong with asking people but this is one where either people will LOVE it OR they will HATE it.  So I say it just depends but I have seen it pulled off and the guests still talk about it.  Everyone is different.
  • Don't do this.  No, no, no.  You already have everyone's attention-please don't treat your guests as a captive audience while you and your FI and/or wedding party members engage in a performance.
  • OK first of all i wasn't asking whether or not to do it. I am doing this, its just a matter of what I am doing. I was looking for ideas. Thanks for all the negativity but it's not needed
  • Just to boost the negativity. You guys clearly can't read. I didn't ask whether or not to do the performance. I was merely asking for suggestions.
  • In Response to Re: Performance ideas:
    [QUOTE]Just to boost the negativity. You guys clearly can't read. I didn't ask whether or not to do the performance. I was merely asking for suggestions.
    Posted by angelnite22191[/QUOTE]

Wow. You sound AWESOME! Ugh. It's like asking the best way to rob a bank and getting upset when people tell you it's a bad idea. Also, this isn't offbeat. It's rude. You'll get the same responses there.. We are doing different stuff but in no way do we put our loved ones out from our actions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards