Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Table overlay, or no table overlay?

We're getting married in August, and our reception is in a room at a golf club.  The room itself has some quite dark wood, but large windows and a skylight, so there is a reasonable amount of light.  The venue provides white table cloths, white napkins, and white plates.

We're renting white chair covers with  royal blue sashes/ties because the chairs provided are pretty ugly.  We've been debating also renting royal blue table overlays as well.  I'm now wondering if it would be too dark with the dark wood, royal blue overlays, etc.  With the other colours that we're having, it pretty well has to be a royal blue rather than a lighter shade.

Thanks for the input!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Table overlay, or no table overlay?

• Options
    Save your money or spend it on something else
  • Options
    I personally would skip them, but it depends on the look you are wanting.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_table-overlay-or-no-table-overlay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:f3d8cd64-31b5-4944-8a55-309f0d7a58ddPost:33782122-59b5-4e31-a3da-fe74e1a6011b">Table overlay, or no table overlay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're getting married in August, and our reception is in a room at a golf club.  The room itself has some quite dark wood, but large windows and a skylight, so there is a reasonable amount of light.  The venue provides white table cloths, white napkins, and white plates. We're renting white chair covers with  royal blue sashes/ties because the chairs provided are pretty ugly.  We've been debating also renting royal blue table overlays as well.  I'm now wondering if it would be too dark with the dark wood, royal blue overlays, etc.  With the other colours that we're having, it pretty well has to be a royal blue rather than a lighter shade. Thanks for the input!
    Posted by a6a14173[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I don't think you really need it, especially if you have to pay extra.  That said, if you were to do it, I'd go for the royal blue as an underlay and have a shorter, white cloth as the overlay.  This way you still see the color at the bottom but it's not overly dark.  We did this, and then had the same underlay color for the napkins.</div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    I think either would look fine, and it's not an area I'd choose to spend money on. 
    You can google image search for "dark blue table overlays with white chair cover blue sash" for help visualizing.
    same with the just white table cloths
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    id go with a table square.. some color, but wont overpower. then the centerpices and numbers will have a defined space. 
  • Options
    I'd go with white.  And try to imagine the table when it has plates, glasses, centerpieces, etc. on it.  You probably won't even notice the table overlay at that point so I say save the money and do the white!
  • Options
    I'm going with Navy over-lays for my white linens but we're having an outdoor reception so we don't have to worry about the blue making it too dark. What are your centerpieces? Maybe they will be enough to bring in your wedding color and you can put the money else where.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards