Georgia-Atlanta

Local Dress Shop Reviews

As I just spend the last four days looking at wedding dresses in Atlanta, I thought I would give my impressions on the shops I visited for fellow brides just getting started on their wedding dress search. I was looking for a "budget" dress (under $800), so I went to stores that stocked some one the less expensive lines.

Bridal Sense: This was the first dress I looked for dresses at. Ever. They were very hands off (which was appreciated as I was trying to get a feel for what I wanted). Had a good selection of gown both to order and buy off the rack. I found a beautiful Atelier Diagonal dress sample in my budget that wasn't my style but would have been a complete steal if it was! When I was ready to leave, they got my email address and sent me an email within a few hours with links to my top 3 dresses.

David's Bridals Collections (the boutique store in Buckhead): I had a great experience here. I came in without an appointment (on a Thursday afternoon) and they gave me a consultant (Tracie) right away. She was fantastic. Really listened to what I wanted and walked with me through the store pulling dresses with my input. She gave me the long line bra, slip, and shoes to try on dresses with and helped me into every dress. The lighting in the store was great. If you have had bad experiences with other David's Bridals stores, go here - it may change your mind about the brand. I found two beautiful dresses but definitely wasn't ready to buy and got no pressure from my consultant either. If I hadn't found the dress elsewhere, I would have bought one of the two dress I loved there.

Bridal Outlet of Atlanta: This is where LaRaine's Boutique sends their sample dresses. They had a very limited selection (even in a sample size 10 - which shouldn't be hard to find). The dresses weren't my style as I was looking for a lace dress by that point. If you are looking for a satin dress, you may find it here. The service was...weird. Not rude, just a little off.

Affordable Bridal (in Buford): The store had a large selection, but it all veered towards big poofy ballgowns. The service was hands off, but the consultant helped me clip gowns at least. I did find a beautiful a-line WTOO gown (the Ariane) there for a very reasonable price that I was seriously considering.

Formally Yours (in Lilburn): The dresses were a little out of my price range, but the consultant was very helpful and pulled some beautiful dresses for me. I loved Maggie Sottero's "Bronwyn" that I tried on there, but it was a little out of my price range. If you are a plus sized bride, I don't know if you'd feel comfortable there: something about the way my consultant said "And those are our plus sized samples, you don't want to look there" while she was showing my around really turned me off. The sample dresses weren't in great shape either.

New Natalie's: I had read horrible reviews of New Natalie's so I was very apprehensive about going, but I decided to suck it up and check out their selection. I went on a Saturday without an appointment and was able to pull dress right away. There was one lady who walked me through their selection and told me their system (pull 5 dresses, put them on a rack, let them know, and then wait for a fitting room consultant). The dresses were all in bag, so some of them were hard to see, but they had a big selection. The prices weren't fantastic, but it you are looking for a chiffon or satin dress, you could probably find it here. Their selection of lace dresses under $1000 was a little limited. One thing I didn't like about their system was that they don't list the designer and dress style anywhere (and cut out tags) so you can't look up the prices of the dresses when you leave without some serious sleuthing. My fitting room consultant was great though. She helped me into every dress and pulled some similar styles she thought I might like. She even let my mom take a picture of me in my favorite dress so we could consider it later (which is against their official policy). I did find a beautiful dress but it was (again) just out of my budget.

Bride Beautiful: I dropped in their store (without an appointment) on Saturday and they were busy and couldn't fit me in. The manager of the store walked me through their selection though so I could see if they had anything that might work for me in case I wanted to come back another day. They were setting up for their semi-annual sample sale, so suggested I come back the next day (today) and see if anything would work then. The receptionist/cashier was very friendly too and suggested I get there a little early for the sample sale as they are usually very busy then. I decided to go back today and actually found the perfect lace dress sample for $500 (well over half off the retail price). While the regular stock dresses would probably have been out of my price range, they had some beautiful samples for sale. The service I got, both yesterday and today were great too. Very happy to have found my dress there!

Re: Local Dress Shop Reviews

• Congratulations on finding your dress! I got my dress at David's Bridal Collections in Buckhead and also had a wonderful experience there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Another +1 for David's Bridal in Buckhead. I had a great experience there too. 
  • I have not found my dress yet, but I also want to suggest to other brides Wedding Angels. They have a great price range on their gowns. My budget is under $1000, but my consultant did not make me feel like it was a big deal or an issue. She showed me all gowns in my price range. And their store is beautiful! Full service. You pick dresses yourself, but then the consultant will go pick other dresses for you that she thinks you will like. And you can take pictures to your heart's content! It has been my best experience yet, and I will probably go back there.
  • I bought my dress from Bride Beautiful as well. They are very accommodating, helpful and patient!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_local-dress-shop-reviews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:f7537910-8825-4a27-b3fa-0c89cb202708Post:2126e83d-5fac-4f75-a317-4e4a4612e896">Local Dress Shop Reviews</a>:
    [QUOTE]As I just spend the last four days looking at wedding dresses in Atlanta, I thought I would give my impressions on the shops I visited for fellow brides just getting started on their wedding dress search. I was looking for a "budget" dress (under $800), so I went to stores that stocked some one the less expensive lines. Bridal Sense: This was the first dress I looked for dresses at. Ever. They were very hands off (which was appreciated as I was trying to get a feel for what I wanted). Had a good selection of gown both to order and buy off the rack. I found a beautiful Atelier Diagonal dress sample in my budget that wasn't my style but would have been a complete steal if it was! When I was ready to leave, they got my email address and sent me an email within a few hours with links to my top 3 dresses. David's Bridals Collections (the boutique store in Buckhead): I had a great experience here. I came in without an appointment (on a Thursday afternoon) and they gave me a consultant (Tracie) right away. She was fantastic. Really listened to what I wanted and walked with me through the store pulling dresses with my input. She gave me the long line bra, slip, and shoes to try on dresses with and helped me into every dress. The lighting in the store was great. If you have had bad experiences with other David's Bridals stores, go here - it may change your mind about the brand. I found two beautiful dresses but definitely wasn't ready to buy and got no pressure from my consultant either. If I hadn't found the dress elsewhere, I would have bought one of the two dress I loved there. Bridal Outlet of Atlanta: This is where LaRaine's Boutique sends their sample dresses. They had a very limited selection (even in a sample size 10 - which shouldn't be hard to find). The dresses weren't my style as I was looking for a lace dress by that point. If you are looking for a satin dress, you may find it here. The service was...weird. Not rude, just a little off. Affordable Bridal (in Buford): The store had a large selection, but it all veered towards big poofy ballgowns. The service was hands off, but the consultant helped me clip gowns at least. I did find a beautiful a-line WTOO gown (the Ariane) there for a very reasonable price that I was seriously considering. Formally Yours (in Lilburn): The dresses were a little out of my price range, but the consultant was very helpful and pulled some beautiful dresses for me. I loved Maggie Sottero's "Bronwyn" that I tried on there, but it was a little out of my price range. If you are a plus sized bride, I don't know if you'd feel comfortable there: something about the way my consultant said "And those are our plus sized samples, you don't want to look there" while she was showing my around really turned me off. The sample dresses weren't in great shape either. New Natalie's: I had read horrible reviews of New Natalie's so I was very apprehensive about going, but I decided to suck it up and check out their selection. I went on a Saturday without an appointment and was able to pull dress right away. There was one lady who walked me through their selection and told me their system (pull 5 dresses, put them on a rack, let them know, and then wait for a fitting room consultant). The dresses were all in bag, so some of them were hard to see, but they had a big selection. The prices weren't fantastic, but it you are looking for a chiffon or satin dress, you could probably find it here. Their selection of lace dresses under $1000 was a little limited. One thing I didn't like about their system was that they don't list the designer and dress style anywhere (and cut out tags) so you can't look up the prices of the dresses when you leave without some serious sleuthing. My fitting room consultant was great though. She helped me into every dress and pulled some similar styles she thought I might like. She even let my mom take a picture of me in my favorite dress so we could consider it later (which is against their official policy). I did find a beautiful dress but it was (again) just out of my budget. Bride Beautiful: I dropped in their store (without an appointment) on Saturday and they were busy and couldn't fit me in. The manager of the store walked me through their selection though so I could see if they had anything that might work for me in case I wanted to come back another day. They were setting up for their semi-annual sample sale, so suggested I come back the next day (today) and see if anything would work then. The receptionist/cashier was very friendly too and suggested I get there a little early for the sample sale as they are usually very busy then. I decided to go back today and actually found the perfect lace dress sample for $500 (well over half off the retail price). While the regular stock dresses would probably have been out of my price range, they had some beautiful samples for sale. The service I got, both yesterday and today were great too. Very happy to have found my dress there!  
    Posted by BethB118[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>This is an AWESOME post. Will be very helpful to future brides. Thanks!</div>
    I wonder if Prince William and Kate are registered at Target?
  • I would like to throw in a recommendation for Carrie's Bridal Collection (https://www.facebook.com/carriesbridalcollection) in Chamblee. I went there for my first wedding dress shopping trip and I was also looking for a budget dress. Nothing in the store is over $1000 and the dresses are beautiful. It is off the rack, so you can leave with your dress the same day! She has regular and plus sizes. The only thing I will say, is most dresses are ivory or some shade of off white at her store. So if you are looking for a very white dress, this is not the best choice. But, once you make an appointment, you secure the entire store for 1 hour and a half to yourself and your guests. The owner is there to pull dresses and help you. It was the best experience shopping and I found a beautiful dress for $399. She does not do alterations, but gives recommendations to help you out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• The day that my bridal party and I went to Formally Yours to look at dresses was a day that they had electrical issues and some of the dressing rooms were without lighting.  I'm never a pessimist-but was very very disappointed in the additional service that followed.  Although we had an appointment, I believe once the wedding assistant realized that I wasn't shopping for my wedding dress and we were only there looking for bridesmaid dresses..she was disinterested in our business. She pointed out the bridesmaid dresses to us and when we found a few to try on, she placed two of my girls in the DARK fitting rooms when their were unoccupied rooms with lighting available.  And when I inquired about them she stated that they were reserved for an appointment that would be arriving in the next 20 mins.  Needless to say- we didn't stay long and they will NEVER have my business.   I never hold grudges but I don't do business with people who only seem to be interested when they stand to make a lot of money...and unfortunately it seems to be a few vendors in the WEDDING INDUSTRY that are that way!
  • I had a negative experience with David's Bridal. The sales associate told me, regarding colors, that only Men's Wearhouse had their colors, to match. I found out that they are told to say that and it's not true. That experience crossed both stores off my list.

"If you can't trust them to tell you the truth, don't have anything to do with them. " That goes for friends, lovers, and bridal shops!

• I had a pretty great experience with David's Bridal in Buckhead, as well.  I'd definitely recommend them, especially if you're looking for the big boutique experience but have a small budget.

Can't say the same for Formally Yours.  I went into their shop with a list of gowns I specifically wanted to try on, and said that I wanted to stick to similar silhouettes as the dresses I showed her (light & flowy or short), and the consultant not only didn't bring me a single one of the dresses I asked to see, she picked up that one of the dresses had lace on it and proceeded to bring me a series of dresses that were NOTHING like what I'd asked for but just happened to have lace on them. When I asked her if I could see something a little more funky and she brought me a 20 pound ballgown, I kinda knew we were done there.
  • edited June 2013
    Double post, sorry!
  • Try Impression Bridal in Kennesaw. It's in the Toys R Us Shopping Plaza. Big place, lots of great dresses! Reasonable prices!
  • I read this post yesterday and checked out Carrie's bridal and contacted her and  she had an appointment so I went today and my experience was FANTASTIC.  This was the first time I went to try on dresses and she had one I loved in my budget ($200).  There is never a chance that you won't get one-on-one attention because when you make your appointment the store is closed and it's just you and her in the store (and a guest if you bring one, I didn't).  I could have stayed there talking to her for hours because she is so nice, sweet, helpful etc.  I tried on about 8 dresses and number 3 was the one (and it already fits greats)! I can't believe how easy it was to find something I love for the price I wanted and have it be a wonderful experience.  YOU MUST GO HERE!! If you go and find your dress (I can't imagine that you wouldn't) and you're thankful that I told you about it then be sure to  tell her Jessica B. sent you as she has a referral program :)  I love supporting local businesses!
  • @jessafaith I'm glad you found your dress! I can't believe more people don't know about her store!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards