Catholic Weddings
Options

So I never realized there was a Catholic board...

Hi ladies!  I've been on TK for a while, but for some reason never figured out there was a Catholic Board?  I'll blame it on wedding stress.

Anyway, as kind of an introduction...FI and I are getting married October 26th!! I'm a cradle Catholic (unfortunately the only remaining practicing Catholic among the grandkids on my dad's side of the family...)  FI grew up without a specific faith, they just kind of went wherever his mom felt like going. 

My dad, who's a KOC, always joked that I needed to marry a good Catholic boy who could get Knight's Insurance.  FI informs me in 2011 that he's made the decision to convert to Catholicism.  After song lengthy discussions to confirm that he was doing it for himself, not for me or my dad, he proceeded and completed his RCIA in April 2012.  Mom was sure he was going to propose that weekend, but she was wrong, we were engaged in May 2012.

Our priest is currently dealing with some major medical issues (he's unable to perform a whole mass still) so we are waiting to meet with him when he's feeling up to it.  Luckily we have a great network of other priests that can step in for him, should the need arise.  I really hope that he's well enough, first for himself, but also because we simply adore him and would love to have him celebrate our marriage sacrament with us.

Re: So I never realized there was a Catholic board...

• Options
    Welcome and congrats! Please stick around and participate - we love to hear new voices and perspectives!
  • Options
    Welcome! Congrats and happy planning! Now that you've found us, please stick around. Like Riss said, we love new people, voices and perspectives.Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    SimplyME22SimplyME22 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Answer
    edited April 2013
    I absolutely plan to stick around!  Most of my wedding guests aren't Catholic, so FI and I struggled as to whether to have a full mass or not, since maybe 11-15 people are even able to receive communion.  In the end we've decided to have the full mass, this is our wedding, the reception can be about pleasing our guests, but the ceremony is all about us and our faith. 

It's nice there's a community on here where there's more understanding of the faith aspect of a wedding more so than the party after.
  • Options
    Welcome! I also understand about the many non-Catholic guests. My dad is not Catholic nor is his whole side of the family. Nor were most of the friends we invited. While we never really considered not having a full mass, I was a little concerned about how the non-Catholics would react. I pretty much came to the same conclusion as you that the ceremony is the most important part and it should be about our faith and our friends and family should be able to respect that. I did put together a very detailed program to try to help people follow along though. I also made sure to include the new responses since it wasn't that long after the switch and H and I also have many non-practicing "Catholic" family members who I was sure were going to say the old responses. Although the day of I was completely oblivious to what everyone else was doing.

Random side note, why is it that whenever you go to a wedding Catholics who would normally participate and say responses and sing at Sunday mass are suddenly so quiet? I always feel like H and I are the only ones singing or saying the responses at weddings. Or maybe this just happens among our circle of friends?
  • Options
    Tami

I call that liturgical amnesia. Drives my crazy.
  • Options
    <span style="font-size:11px;line-height:14px;">[QUOTE]Random side note, why is it that whenever you go to a wedding Catholics who would normally participate and say responses and sing at Sunday mass are suddenly so quiet? I always feel like H and I are the only ones singing or saying the responses at weddings. Or maybe this just happens among our circle of friends?</span>
    Posted by Tami87[/QUOTE]
    I know! Funny you mention that.. I just had a funeral this morning, and noticed this... everyone said "And with your spirit" pretty heartily, so I know they do attend Mass, but when it came time for "Lord I am not worthy that you should..." it was just like... silence! lol!  Like, everyone is thinking, "I know I'm supposed to say something here, but I usually just rely on the collected memory of everyone around me..." Same thing happens with the Creed if the priest normally speaks it into his microphone, and then for some reason he doesnt... everyone is like, "Wait,<em> </em>there's a lot of words here! What are we supposed to be saying again?"
    Anniversary
  • Options
    oh yeah, and welcome, Simply! It also took me forever to figure out there was a Catholic board here... Stupid TK layout! It's not obvious to go check out "cultural boards."
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm getting married Oct 26th, too!  My father is also KOC and has told me for years that I need to find a good Catholic boy, and I struck gold- found a practicing Catholic with minimal baggage, a college education and a good job in his mid-30's!  I like to joke that God had him in a jar on a shelf, just waiting to drop him into my lap.  

FI has a childhood friend who is a priest who will hopefully be saying Mass for us, and I plan on asking him to make a tasteful announcement before communion reminding those who aren't Catholic not to receive.  Most of my family and his practices, but we do have friends and some family who are not Catholic as well.  I think I'd prefer the priest to say something than have it in the program, which is the other option I thought about.  
  • Options
    Welcome!! :)
  • Options
    Welcome and congrats on your upcoming wedding!
  • Options
    Welcome!!!
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards