Catholic Weddings

Humans are only a consumer product, apparently

This is just effed up.

A description my friend wrote:

Just to be clear, they’re going to abort a baby who could’ve been adopted by parents who wanted a child. From that aborted baby’s ovaries, they’re going to harvest eggs to make in vitro babies for those same parents who could have adopted the aborted girl.
Just to be clear, they’re going to take children they find genetically desirable, slaughter them, and then use their parts to make new babies from scrap.
Just to be clear, the offspring of such a procedure would be children conceived of mothers who were themselves never born."

Re: Humans are only a consumer product, apparently

• Whooooaaaa.  My head asplode.

As for this "shortage of donor eggs," I kind of want to say, "Show me a society that has no orphans, and THEN talk to me about a shortage of donor eggs.  I can't pretend to know what it's like to be infertile (although we struggled -- not nearly as much as some women do), but I just pray that more and more couples will open their hearts to adoption.  There are so many kids already born who are desperate for families.
    Anniversary

• Well said, Professor!  This is just so sad to me

• Yikes - that article just makes my heart hurt.  While I can't imagine what it would be like to find out that I'm infertile, and certainly can't fault anyone for wanting to go through the experience of a pregnancy themselves... I just can't see that as an acceptable solution to fertility problems.
  • Um.  What. The. Fword that TK won't let me post.
  • Not to mention, these eggs are not marture yet.  Lord knows what sort of effect the chemicals of "forcing" their maturity will have on the babies born from these eggs.

Gross.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_humans-are-only-a-consumer-product-apparently?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:953787e3-0786-47ff-969b-a24ed56cd3afPost:4e94de99-bfd0-4696-abc4-adf71d667bb0">Re: Humans are only a consumer product, apparently</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not to mention, these eggs are not marture yet.  Lord knows what sort of effect the chemicals of "forcing" their maturity will have on the babies born from these eggs. Gross.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

So many things wrong, but this is something I thought of as well. Ugggg...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_humans-are-only-a-consumer-product-apparently?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:953787e3-0786-47ff-969b-a24ed56cd3afPost:081ffbf8-40f5-4a61-b4cd-975dd7b05272">Re: Humans are only a consumer product, apparently</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would not believe this article. The DailyMail is notorious for spouting nonsense and rumour as fact. It's their bread and butter.
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

<div>I wondered the same thing, actually.  It just seems so incredibly insane that it couldn't possibly be true.</div>
    Anniversary

• yea... Remember when we thought no one could possibly shoot up a kindergarten class?

What exactly woudn't be true? that scientists aren't yet contemplating it? Obviously, its been thought up by a few people. That fact alone has me sick.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_humans-are-only-a-consumer-product-apparently?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:953787e3-0786-47ff-969b-a24ed56cd3afPost:d7cf72cd-ed72-4fea-99f2-5479e32624d5">Re: Humans are only a consumer product, apparently</a>:
    [QUOTE]Then the writers of the article are sick, because I would bet money that it's a fabrication. Or at least, a GROSS overstatement of what some scientist somewhere said. There is not a single statement in that article that has a source to back it up. <strong>Realistically, I don't know why anyone would think of using aborted fetuses as a source for eggs. There are plenty of women who donate their eggs already.</strong>

This was my thought exactly.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_humans-are-only-a-consumer-product-apparently?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:953787e3-0786-47ff-969b-a24ed56cd3afPost:d7cf72cd-ed72-4fea-99f2-5479e32624d5">Re: Humans are only a consumer product, apparently</a>:
    [QUOTE]Then the writers of the article are sick, because I would bet money that it's a fabrication. Or at least, a GROSS overstatement of what some scientist somewhere said. There is not a single statement in that article that has a source to back it up. Realistically, I don't know why anyone would think of using aborted fetuses as a source for eggs.<strong> There are plenty of women who donate their eggs already.</strong>

Well, many of them have their eggs HARVESTED and get paid, not just donate. This would be a (disgusting, wrong and terrible) way of getting "free" eggs.  It's ethichally wrong and disgusting and is just such a BAD idea.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I don't think its far off. Because human beings are a product now-- they already use aborted fetuses for product testing... why not harvesting the eggs? make designer people, growing stem cells so we can manufacture people for use of their organs for transplants.

This IS what it is coming to. I recommend reading the books "Fatherless" and "Motherless". (I'm getting ready to start "Childless". There's a lot of stuff in there of where this is all heading. 

• Realistically, I don't know why anyone would think of using aborted fetuses as a source for eggs. There are plenty of women who donate their eggs already.

WELL, here's a scenario.  You get pregnant.  You want kids very much but not right now because you arent married, too young, "not convenient".  You abort your fetus, but take the eggs in case you want kids later and are too old/cant have them.  like anything, its possible, althoguh could be a stretch.  people harvest and freeze eggs all the time, particularly women who are approaching 40 and havent had their kids yet.
  • There aren't many people who straight-up donate their eggs..they get paid.  A lot.  So if the fertility centers can get them for way less by harvesting a bunch from an aborted fetus, that would save a huge cost for them.  Also, a co-worker mentioned that she could see going this route since then you know the mother is dead, and won't try to come after the kid later on. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_humans-are-only-a-consumer-product-apparently?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:953787e3-0786-47ff-969b-a24ed56cd3afPost:3834f5d4-ac62-4664-bc37-4b74534fcd26">Re: Humans are only a consumer product, apparently</a>:
    [QUOTE]Realistically, I don't know why anyone would think of using aborted fetuses as a source for eggs. There are plenty of women who donate their eggs already. WELL, here's a scenario.  You get pregnant.  You want kids very much but not right now because you arent married, too young, "not convenient".  You abort your fetus, but take the eggs in case you want kids later and are too old/cant have them.  like anything, its possible, althoguh could be a stretch.  people harvest and freeze eggs all the time, particularly women who are approaching 40 and havent had their kids yet.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

So a woman, more or less, would be carrying her grandchildren and calling them her children?
    Can open, worms everywhere.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_humans-are-only-a-consumer-product-apparently?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:953787e3-0786-47ff-969b-a24ed56cd3afPost:3834f5d4-ac62-4664-bc37-4b74534fcd26">Re: Humans are only a consumer product, apparently</a>:
    [QUOTE]Realistically, I don't know why anyone would think of using aborted fetuses as a source for eggs. There are plenty of women who donate their eggs already. WELL, here's a scenario.  You get pregnant.  You want kids very much but not right now because you arent married, too young, "not convenient".  You abort your fetus, but take the eggs in case you want kids later and are too old/cant have them.  like anything, its possible, althoguh could be a stretch.  people harvest and freeze eggs all the time, particularly women who are approaching 40 and havent had their kids yet.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

I don't see why the woman in that scenario wouldn't just freeze some of her own eggs, since obviously they're viable/usable if she was able to get pregnant once... although I get where you were going with the hypothetical.  

I still think it's a pretty awful idea, and I don't think hypothetical cost savings is enough to justify it. 
  • Cost aside, like I said before, there is no ethical way to test if this is even a good option.  To test it, you'd have to conceive babies from these eggs and let them carry to term and see if there's any long term effects.  It makes lab rats out of babies and there's nothing ethical about that.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_humans-are-only-a-consumer-product-apparently?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:953787e3-0786-47ff-969b-a24ed56cd3afPost:fba33ccb-85ff-4ebe-aac4-63da0c837dc9">Re: Humans are only a consumer product, apparently</a>:
    [QUOTE]Cost aside, like I said before, there is no ethical way to test if this is even a good option.  To test it, you'd have to conceive babies from these eggs and let them carry to term and see if there's any long term effects.  It makes lab rats out of babies and there's nothing ethical about that.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

Already happening. 
    <div>Embryonic stem cells</div>
  • The Daily Mail is about the equivalent of The National Enquirer and not to be believed.

Try the Lancet website for accurate information.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards