Catholic Weddings
Options

Healthy Reminder

This link is a good healthy reminder of what we as Christians should be doing instead of barking back and forth to each other on facebook, twitter, the knot. etc about stances on marriage. We get so caught up in politics anymore that we are starting a world war 3 amonst ourselves. No matter what your political party, stance or beliefs remember to help others..Happy Easter All

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Healthy Reminder

• Options
    edited March 2013
    To be honest, I'm really sick of this " why are you talking about morality instead of feeding the poor" thing. The Christians I know who are speaking out against gay marriage also happen to be the ppl who do more charity work, and give more money to charity, than anyone else I know. I dont know where the idea came from that conservative Christians don't help the poor, but it's not true. While I can agree that at a certain point our time is better spent doing good deeds than arguing on FB orTK, I don't think it's very Christian to keep our mouths shut and never stand up for what's right. Not trying to be mean to you, Pitpoint, but this kind of blog upsets me way more than any equal sign profile pics ever will.

• Options
    The very problem of poverty is because people don't respect human dignity all around. Because they don't respect the source and beginning of life-- which is marriage. 
  • Options
    Just to add my $0.02 on this,  I think that "we as Christians" should strive to live good and holy lives.  This means (to me): 
    -living by a code of morality, established by Christ and clarified by His Church
    -working to spread the works and message of Christ and His Church
    -following in His footsteps (service, love, and, yes, obedience)
    -accepting the challenges and persecution that may come from doing the above

Christ died for us and His Church.  Yes, He served the poor, He healed the lame, He calls us to service, and we should do so.  He also admonished those who did so for pride's sake, while speaking and preaching on many of the old laws, including clarifying how we should live by them once the new covenant was made with His Precious Blood.

Am I the model of what He expects of us?  Not nearly.  Am I without sin?  Impossible.  Do I fall daily in my attempts to follow Him? Yes.  Will I quit, walk away and follow an easier path?  I pray I'll not choose that road again.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

One thing to remember: The wedding is just one day. The marriage is all the rest of them.

April 2012 Siggy Challenge: Cake Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2013
    <span style="font-size:11px;line-height:14px;">[QUOTE]This link is a good healthy reminder of what we as Christians should be doing instead of barking back and forth to each other on facebook, twitter, the knot. etc about stances on marriage. We get so caught up in politics anymore that we are starting a world war 3 amonst ourselves. No matter what your political party, stance or beliefs remember to help others..Happy Easter All <a href="http://deeperstory.com/what-really-frustrates-me-about-the-gay-marriage-debate-is-2/" rel="nofollow">http://deeperstory.com/what-really-frustrates-me-about-the-gay-marriage-debate-is-2/</a>  </span>
    Posted by pittpoint1119[/QUOTE]
    I actually find this quite offensive. How dare you insinuate that you know how charitable any of us are, by sending us an article telling us how much more we should be doing.<div>
    </div><div>You should read the book "Who Really Cares." It is an extremely well-documented account, written by a self-proclaimed "liberal" who set out to prove what kind of person is the most charitable. </div><div>Spoiler alert: It's not at all what he expected. Contrary to the "common knowledge" that "liberals" are the most caring/generous/charitable, and contrary to YOUR presumption that religious people should be doing so much more, he found that in EVERY single area, whether donating money, resources, and even time spent volunteering, the more RELIGIOUS and self-described"conservative" a person was, was the single factor that would indicate most accurately how charitable they were.</div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited March 2013
    So much to say here.

First of all...this blog insinuates that the only reason to oppose gay marriage is for religious reasons.  I've read a lot of accounts from very secular sources that don't even once reference Jesus or God but give very valid arguments for the "marriage is only between a man and a woman" debate.

The biggest thing that has driven me nuts about this debate is the assumptions people have been throwing around.  "Oh, she doesn't agree with gay marriage.  She must be a homophobe.  She must HATE gay people.  She's a bigot.  She uses the bible to back it up but does all of these other things in Leviticus that are supposed to be wrong too" (The list goes on).  This blog just throws around more assumptions.  That we as Catholics/Christians aren't charitable because we're more focused on our "agenda".  I've actually read stats on more than one place (including CNN...a very liberal leaning news source) that the Catholic Church is the single most charitable organization in this country.

I saw a thing on my FB the other day that I wish people would realize.  This was it:
    Photo: LOVE this.

Sometimes loving someone is letting them know that their behavior is wrong.  It's not because you hate them.  It's not because you find them disgusting or are afraid of them.  It's because you simply find an action they do to be wrong. 

Sometimes charity isn't just giving time or money to those less fortunate.  Sometimes the most charitable thing you can do for a person is help them get to Heaven/find God/find Jesus/do the right thing/etc. (And this applies to just about anything, not really specifically the gay marriage debate).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_healthy-reminder-no-matter-what-you-stance-is?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:f38299f4-e582-4fee-b871-a2dd3cfd5ccePost:1dfb4bd9-a97e-4beb-9b7f-891c76545a88">Re: Healthy Reminder</a>:
    [QUOTE]So much to say here. First of all...this blog insinuates that the only reason to oppose gay marriage is for religious reasons.  I've read a lot of accounts from very secular sources that don't even once reference Jesus or God but give very valid arguments for the "marriage is only between a man and a woman" debate. The biggest thing that has driven me nuts about this debate is the assumptions people have been throwing around.  "Oh, she doesn't agree with gay marriage.  She must be a homophobe.  She must HATE gay people.  She's a bigot.  She uses the bible to back it up but does all of these other things in Leviticus that are supposed to be wrong too" (The list goes on).  This blog just throws around more assumptions.  That we as Catholics/Christians aren't charitable because we're more focused on our "agenda".  I've actually read stats on more than one place (including CNN...a very liberal leaning news source) that the Catholic Church is the single most charitable organization in this country. I saw a thing on my FB the other day that I wish people would realize.  This was it: Sometimes loving someone is letting them know that their behavior is wrong.  It's not because you hate them.  It's not because you find them disgusting or are afraid of them.  It's because you simply find an action they do to be wrong.  Sometimes charity isn't just giving time or money to those less fortunate.  Sometimes the most charitable thing you can do for a person is help them get to Heaven/find God/find Jesus/do the right thing/etc. (And this applies to just about anything, not really specifically the gay marriage debate).
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]
    wow.   />applauds<
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

One thing to remember: The wedding is just one day. The marriage is all the rest of them.

April 2012 Siggy Challenge: Cake Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We can always do more to help the poor - sometimes it makes more sense to walk away from a morality debate in order to do so. However, the reason why the marriage/abortion/contraception stuff gets so much attention is because of the tension and disagreement. No one is talking as much about helping the poor, because everyone is pretty much in agreement....thus, it doesn't instigate drama and snark. If someone is attacking a certain group, they are going to feel the need to defend themselves.

It's unfair to assume that those debating hot topics aren't also helping those less fortunate...
  • Options
    The Church is in the business of saving souls. This includes corporal works of mercy such as feeding the hungry, caring for the sick (which She has always done and continues to do) as well as spiritual works of mercy such as instructing the ignorant and admonishing the sinner. Both are crucial. People prefer the former because we're all sinners and none of us like to be admonished. But sometimes the two cross paths--for example Pope Francis recently chastised the West for spending too much on pets and cosmetics. I'm sure all of us (including those who are saying "worry about the poor instead of sexual morality") could be guilty of that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_healthy-reminder-no-matter-what-you-stance-is?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:f38299f4-e582-4fee-b871-a2dd3cfd5ccePost:dbceac1e-c09c-4c25-bf2a-322088158543">Re: Healthy Reminder</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Healthy Reminder : Can you list any of these sources? I haven't heard a single argument against gay marriage that hasn't been rooted in religion.  While I think that blog makes a lot of assumptions, I kinda understand what the guy is saying. But then again, I support gay marriage and the separation of Church and State.
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

<a href="http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1722155" rel="nofollow">http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1722155</a>

<a href="http://byfaithonline.com/the-cultural-argument-against-gay-marriage/" rel="nofollow">http://byfaithonline.com/the-cultural-argument-against-gay-marriage/</a>

<a href="http://old.nationalreview.com/comment/wood200504260810.asp" rel="nofollow">http://old.nationalreview.com/comment/wood200504260810.asp</a>

Those were a few I've seen people post. I also read one about a psych study that talked about children raised in homes with a mother and a father were the most psychologically stable.  I'll see if I can find it.  It does reference the study that was done (I can't remember by who) that found that kids had no psychological differences with gay couples as parents, however it was pointed out that the study wasn't done on a broad enough scale.  I can't remember the specifics but it was something along the lines of only 100 kids were studied for it and they were all from the same area or something.  I'll keep hunting and post it if I find it.

Regardless of if one supports gay marriage or not, it's a pretty unfair assumption to make that a certain group of people aren't charitable (especially when it's on record that they are the most charitable).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_healthy-reminder-no-matter-what-you-stance-is?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:f38299f4-e582-4fee-b871-a2dd3cfd5ccePost:d25c5a3c-effd-4692-8aef-f57977fff147">Re: Healthy Reminder</a>:
    [QUOTE]I mentioned the kid argument in a previous post, so I'll just summarize it here. If the non-religious argument against gay marriage is that marriage is solely for the purpose of creating and raising children, then elderly couple and infertile couples should also be banned from marriage, since they can not produce children. 

<div>No. Because you'd have to test each couple for fertility before marriage. Invasion of privacy and cost prohibitive.</div><div>
    </div><div>When you take children out of the picture, then you have legislation of love and romance. People who love each other want to get married-  So, logical jump-- ANYONE can do this-- parent and child can get married, siblings can get married, multiple people can, because after all, all that is required is people who love each other. Limits on this dont' make any sense after you remove children from the equation, because then you'd have to legistlate the TYPE of love and romance. </div><div>
    </div><div>The legal benefits that exist for marriage is for the stability of a family unit FOR CHILDREN. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    But why limit it? if you take children out of the picture, you dont' have to make any logical jump to include any of those. Children are no longer a part of the stable family unit, it then becomes all about love. 

The law WILL stick its nose into people's romantic relationships though, if gay marriage is allowed. That's my whole point. They are legistlaing "love". 

People conceive after they are told they cannot all the time. You can't prohibit a couple who are supposedly infertile. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_healthy-reminder-no-matter-what-you-stance-is?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:f38299f4-e582-4fee-b871-a2dd3cfd5ccePost:226b3c2e-245b-4d80-b712-3300c82b956f">Re: Healthy Reminder</a>:
    [QUOTE]I Currently, the law is telling a group of people that your relationship is less worthy to be made legal than others. If it is made legal, then the government is saying "Hey, it's not up to us to choose which adults can be married and which can't." They are taking themselves out of the equation, not inserting themselves into it. The law against gay marriage didn't always exist. DOMA was created in the 90s -- so at that time the government chose to stick it's nose into people's private business. Repealing DOMA will take them back out again.

<div>Actually this is backwards. Marriage, for the purpose of LEGAL and society, is not about "relationships". It's not about love here. It is about stable family units for children's sake. The legal benefits exist to keep families intact and stable for the children. . When taking children out of the picture, its made ONLY about love and relatioships, so therefore, MORE legislation on love. </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards