Connecticut

My First Check!!!

Hi Ladies!!

I haven't posted much because I haven't had much to contribute as I am not that far along in the planning process, but I have been reading and learning lots from everyone Laughing. So it feels GREAT that I can finally post and talk about my first check!

We booked our venue, Branford House Mansion for 8/30/14 and I'm really excited! Things feel so much more official now, haha!

Any ideas on what I should do next? What was most helpful for you during your planning process?

I plan on having a tented wedding, any good vendors that are a MUST?

Thanks in advance knotties, you've been sooo helpful so far!

Re: My First Check!!!

• I love sperry tents, not sure they come to Branford house but worth checking.
    I love my videographer, epic filmmakers
    I love my dres, but that one is secert.  
    I love my planner, Kia from estoccasions
    l love my dj, melee
    I just finalized my bar selection, choice bar services
    my rentals are from Ct Rental in middletown and General Eclectic
    My florist is just for you
    Not sure if I love my caterer yet or my cake person.  I have tastings all weekend long. 

Our tuxes are from Men's Warehouse and they have been a bit of a pain this far.
    I need to meet with my photographer 

Good luck

counting down to the big day
  • Look for your vendors, photographer and DJ in particular.  I used Studio1923 for my photographer and DJae Melee for my DJ.  I HIGHLY recommend both. 
  • Congratulations on your check!! I am also a Branford House bride and my wedding is coming up super quick. It's crazy. I agree with PPs, DJ and photographer would be the next vendors to tackle. We hired Zach Dauphinais as our DJ, Val McCormick as our photographer, and Epic Video Productions for videographer. So far we love all of our vendors and are so excited about them. I'd also highly recommend hiring a DOC for the BH as Katherine is very handsoff and we have heard from multiple sources that she does not assist with the event at all. We are using Jen Strunk for DOC and like her a lot. She does a ton of weddings at Branford House so she's been super helpful. Good luck with your planning!
  • Congrats! The next few checks I worked on after my venue were photographer, florist, caterer, and dj. I highly recommend Eric Brushett Photography, It's So Ranunculus (florist), Emily's Catering (I think the Branford House has you bring in a caterer), and White Tie Affairs out of Boston for the dj. Also, my day of coordinator, Lauren Kras, just did a wedding a the Branford House. They had the pizza truck come and serve either appitizers or the entree. I can't remember the details, but it sounded cool.

Good luck and enjoy this part! It was my favorite.
  • https://www.facebook.com/djfrankiez?fref=ts
    dj frank Zappulla did my brothers wedding and he did an amazing job played just the right music the whole night and got the dance floor dancing 
  • Thanks for the direction  Knotties!!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_my-first-check-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:0a149443-8573-463c-9e14-b6eb31a7cdcbPost:8dd29ff1-1c4c-409d-bd64-641bce24088e">Re:My First Check!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congratulations on your check!! I am also a Branford House bride and my wedding is coming up super quick. It's crazy. I agree with PPs, DJ and photographer would be the next vendors to tackle. We hired Zach Dauphinais as our DJ, Val McCormick as our photographer, and Epic Video Productions for videographer. So far we love all of our vendors and are so excited about them. I'd also highly recommend hiring a DOC for the BH as Katherine is very handsoff and we have heard from multiple sources that she does not assist with the event at all. We are using Jen Strunk for DOC and like her a lot. She does a ton of weddings at Branford House so she's been super helpful. Good luck with your planning!
    Posted by Jessie42613[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice! What caterer did you end up going with? i'm a big foodie so it's the most important thing for ME.

Thanks!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_my-first-check-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:0a149443-8573-463c-9e14-b6eb31a7cdcbPost:dd3f38b3-0338-413d-b6ca-e39fe6d3296b">Re: My First Check!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congrats! The next few checks I worked on after my venue were photographer, florist, caterer, and dj. I highly recommend Eric Brushett Photography, It's So Ranunculus (florist), Emily's Catering (I think the Branford House has you bring in a caterer), and White Tie Affairs out of Boston for the dj. Also, my day of coordinator, Lauren Kras, just did a wedding a the Branford House. They had the pizza truck come and serve either appitizers or the entree. I can't remember the details, but it sounded cool. Good luck and enjoy this part! It was my favorite.
    Posted by Corkey450[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that sounds like a great idea! From what I hear a DOC is needed, so thanks for the suggestion :)
  • I'm also a Branford House bride. My caterer is Catering by Christine and so far my experience with them has been amazing. Their food is absolutely delicious and reasonably priced and they've done the Branford House plenty of times.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_my-first-check-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:0a149443-8573-463c-9e14-b6eb31a7cdcbPost:faddcd60-27dd-4b73-8c73-b0d5c671d099">Re: My First Check!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: My First Check!!! : Thanks, that sounds like a great idea! From what I hear a DOC is needed, so thanks for the suggestion :)
    Posted by srodger2[/QUOTE]

<div>A DOC is totally needed.  We love ours and she's super affordable (info above in my earlier post)</div><div>
    </div><div>For catering we are going with Coastal Gourmet.  Their food is spectacular and we've found them very easy to deal with.  We like that they are very flexible and we don't feel that we're being nickle and dimed to death with our requests.  For example, we wanted to swap an appetizer and make a modification to one of the entrees offered in our package, and the response was just "no problem," not "okay, but it'll cost you X amount."  Also, one of my family members is a recovering alcoholic but he likes to drink O'Douls, so we asked for one case to be available at the bar.  They're just throwing that in for us and I mean, we're talking what.. $15?  So while it really doesn't matter in the long run it's just a nice gesture.</div>
  • I'm a Branford House bride also! I read Jessie's vendor reviews but I'd like reviews from others, after their weddings. Our date is in 2014...Can't wait!!!
  • SB1512SB1512 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    Congrats!  For a florist that will do beautiful work but not break the bank look at Stylish Blooms, Melissa is awesome.  Are you getting married at your venue?  If you need a JOP I highly recommend Sal Fiore (weddings by Sal).  For our photographers we originally were using RAW photo design, but due to unforeseen circumstances we ended up with Anthony Decarlo (who is amazing!!) and our second shooter was Jacob from Carla Ten Eyck.  Our DJ was Musically Yours, but he is located out of Danbury/New Milford, which can be pretty far out depending on where you are from.  My dress came from teh Wedding Dress in Portland, CT and I definitely recommend checking them out.  I had such a wonderful experience there and they have designers that other shops in CT do no carry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards